JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My boss gave me a box of mismatched ammo, in it were paper shotgun shells. Makes sense that they would use paper back in the day, but never though about it. That seems pretty damn cool. Kind of want to shoot them, but I think they'll stay on my shelf. *edit* Turns out Rio and Federal still make them, they are just 0.40-0.50/round.

Question for you old timers. Was it always a taboo subject to tell someone you are into guns? Especially in the dating world.
I guess that would depend what world you lived/live in. It never has been, nor is it now in the "Free World".

I miss the old mom and pop gun shops that were in every little town, and I miss all the "stuff" these stores always seemed to have, if a feller took his time, you could usually find exactly what you wanted or needed! I miss being able to find parts and accessories, things like iron sights and rings and bases. I miss those overflowing racks of Old Sporter Bolt actions with Iron sights and/or scopes, especially the 1903's and M98's, some of the finest hunting rifles ever made, and I could usually afford 2 of them for what a new Winchester or Remington cost! I miss piles of Mil Surp. Rifles, M-1s in crates, Carbines by the arm load, pick your manufacture! Krag's stacked deep, and Shotguns spread all over the back wall. I miss the "old times wall" with old beat up lever actions, muskets, and various pre 1900 era long guns, I miss the glass cases full of old revolvers and surplus 1911's and Luger's and the "exotics" which were long guns made in Europe! I miss being able to spend a few hours drinking bad cofveve and chain smoking with the guys at the counters usually with some hunting dog underfoot waiting for a scratch behind the ears, or a pat on the head! I miss shelves full of every type and brand of ammo known to man, and at decent prices! I miss mail ordering from those gun catalogs we used to get, things you just couldn't get anywhere else, and I miss having good gunsmiths around who knew how to do things right, and probably forgot more then most have ever learned, Smiths like Tim Copland are a rare breed, and I miss the smells of those shops, the stale cofveve, and mix of various tobacco smoke, the oils and lubricants, and old burned powder residue, and Hoops #9 mixed in, the smells you just cannot find anywhere else! The world sure has changed, now everything is AR Tactical, modern Soldier of Fortune type LARPin type stuff, and it's sad, that stuff is all plastic and generic, and cold feeling, there is no passion in any of that! The smells are completely different, there is no age or history in those places, and while you may find some knoloagable folks, most don't know anything about the good old days and the things I posted above!

Bolt action rifles with iron sights.

A NEW Winchester M70 Westerner:

0448A955-2515-42BE-859B-25CBF5A7B9DC.jpeg

I have a pistol that only wants to function on Remington gold HV 22lr in 50 round boxes, They were actually hot stuff compared to bulk pack and I have not seen them for sale anywhere for more than ten years.

Remington viper and cci stingers
Lol
As a young man with a single shot stevens i always felt like I could take a little bit bigger game with it. Its cost a few cents more so it was high class ammo for me lol

Still have that gun actually.
Will go to the granddaughter some day

Last Edited:
Adding to the list of possible locations for "legit" surplus.
Rag and bone in seaside Oregon, just across the street from the back of Nike outlet. Cool guy (retired crew chief IIRC)
,some collectible military stuff, and always some actual surplus gear.

The gun store in Warrenton has occasional individual pieces of gear. Definitely more in collection level than surplus. The owner is also very knowledgeable about ww2 and nam period correct uniforms and equipment.

I haven't been down the street in Ponders for so long I don't have a clue about the Lakewood surplus scene, but JBLM is still across the freeway, so....

Still got one. Currently houses a couple shotguns and bolt action rifles. Just got a new vault to match existing vault so this wood, glass door gun cabinets is about to be tossed out. Anyone want it - freebee ? Couple scratches but could easily be refinished and look perfect again.
CaptJack "Mike"

I'm interested. Mail sent.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top