JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This morning I was thumbing through a couple different books on varmint and small hunting published in the 1980s. One of them had a recommendation, and photographs of, .30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while. (The last time I saw cartridges in that line was in the early 2000s and, if I recall correctly, it was .30'06. One of my brother's, now late, hunting buddies had some in his pickup.)

Which got me to thinking: what gun "stuff" (e.g., firearms, ammunition, accessories) were fairly common back in the day that you hardly ever or never see any more? Be it in gun shops, in the field, etc.

Shot, stuff used to be sold at many more stores, and more readily available in all sorts of sizes.

Now you only see a small amount at one or two stores in the typical 6/7.5/8 if that.

C6C9891F-41CC-410E-B7D2-82C503F2B5BF.jpeg

Hope this is not a thread drift....But back in the day I would try to be one of the first to grab an IGA shopper. There were some incredible buys if you jumped on them early.

Don't know how many hundred dollar firearms I purchased through the years.

"Classic" firearms with wood stocks and blued metal...non "tactical" firearms.

Not a fan of "tactical firearms" or synthetic stocks...Not saying that one shouldn't own them....
Just saying that I don't care for them...and miss the days of when wood stocks and a blued finish was the norm.
Andy

Lets take it back a step further.

The other day I dragged out one of my late 20's Colts. When it hit me?
''Back when this was made most Americans didn't have electricity.'' :s0153:

Little of the world did in fact.

And they were doing just fine. :D

Last Edited:
This morning I was thumbing through a couple different books on varmint and small hunting published in the 1980s. One of them had a recommendation, and photographs of, .30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while. (The last time I saw cartridges in that line was in the early 2000s and, if I recall correctly, it was .30'06. One of my brother's, now late, hunting buddies had some in his pickup.)

Which got me to thinking: what gun "stuff" (e.g., firearms, ammunition, accessories) were fairly common back in the day that you hardly ever or never see any more? Be it in gun shops, in the field, etc.
Guns sitting in racks on the floor where you can handle them.
CS (controlled string)shotgun ammo.
Gunslick
Hubbard's Boot Grease
JonE Hand Warmers
Tyler T-Grips
Poly Chokes
Surplus stores that military surplus guns and ammo.
Guns and Ammo at department stores. Meier & Frank, JC Penney, Monkey Wards, etc.
.22 longs, shorts, CB shorts.
And much more.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews