JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW if youve never seen a loading lever equipped Colt 1848 baby Dragoon...Now you have. Colts first commercially successful guns. They made about 15K of them but probably far less than a thousand in this configuration . This one was built early in 1849 before the 1849 models were released and is unusual with its long barrel and loading lever.
Can't see it:(

Yeah I know. I would never have left that in a display case hanging on the wall. Its actually the second time I inherited it. My Grandfather gave me the gun when he died and then I gave it to my dad and then I got it back. All numbers matching , even the barrel wedge.

Funny thing is in the bottom of the display case were the original grips to the Woodsman I inherited that has Herret target grips on it now. Theyve been sitting in that case since around 1960.

Old Woody. My great grandfather bought it 1934 ish . First gun I ever fired.

xHauUT.jpg

Very nice old Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon. Even nicer to have original bullet mold for it and like you said they are rare. You should be proud to own it, I know I would. I have to settle for my Uberti Baby Dragoon replica that has a 4" barrel and loading lever. I have a 6 shot conversion cylinder in .32 S&W short for it also. Also have a cylinder loading stand that takes a lot of wear off the loading lever assembly on this and my other cap & ball pistols. I am surprised that Andy in Everson has not chimed in yet but I am sure he will and TAC also.

I also like the Remington 41 Cal black powder Derringer. I have read the frames on these are prone to cracking in the hinge area. The .41 cal bP rimfire cartridge is no powerhouse at roughly 5-600fps but I don't think anyone would volunteer to get shot by one. You dad sounds like he was a neat guy to be around and glad you have so many fond memories of him. Sounds like he had great tastes in guns and you are lucky to be the next caretaker of some of them. If it is in good shape and if it were me I would shoot a few rounds through the colt, just clean and oil it good after you are done shooting it.

Last Edited:
Ouch.! the gangrene special

Isn't that is the truth. People didn't want to get shot with it because almost all of the time nobody died at the time they were shot. If shot in the mass of body area you were sure to die a slow painful death with the state of medical science. President Garfield in 1881 died of complications from being shot with a .38 S&W round 80 days earlier. Not a pleasant way to die IMO.

FWIW if youve never seen a loading lever equipped Colt 1848 baby Dragoon...Now you have. Colts first commercially successful guns. They made about 15K of them but probably far less than a thousand in this configuration . This one was built early in 1849 before the 1849 models were released and is unusual with its long barrel and loading lever.

View attachment 449299

What an AWESOME piece of history! My god.....

View attachment 449299
Intresting in so many ways... dripping with history. The word Patent is second only to COLT on the cylinder. Interesting because it was 1848, colts original 1836 patent for the revolving pistol was about to expire, and the Wesson brothers were chomping at the bit to get into the game. Colt Vs Smith and Wesson was just about to push the gun industry ahead...with some help from the civil war. If that Six shooter could talk!?

View attachment 449299

I love that, along with the bullet mold, what a great piece to have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top