JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad died this morning and Ive got to go over to help do whatever it is that people do when people die this week. Doesnt happen much in my family . In any case he's got maybe a dozen guns or so in a gun safe. No one else knows the combination of course. Is this something that any locksmith can do or do I need to bring the grinder and a pack of skinny wheels?
Didn't read all the responses but a few manufacturers actually have the factory set combo on the safe in a "secret" spot and or in their records.
You'll have to contact them and ask.

I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but you have my most sincere sympathy. Carry on his lessons, and continue to make him proud. When you get the guns out, maybe consider starting a legacy gun library? That's something that can be passed down from generation to generation, like the things he taught you.

First of all sorry about your dad. I lost mine also some years back.
I would go over the safe looking for anything that shows who might have made it. If you find who did make the safe, I would then call the safe company. Many of them can instruct you what to do and how to go about opening it. It's worth a shot before just destroying a safe if it's not necessary to.

No. its just a small closet style safe with handguns in it. No one cares about the safe or whats in it really, I'd much rather have him around than his stupid guns.
We just went through this with my father in law - if its an electronic safe give the safe company a call. It worked for us bu it was a pain to prove who we were and that he had actually passed. One way an electronic lock is better than a manual lock.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I have the same problem , my dads been dead 5 years and I have a really old safe that's 700lbs or more, i haven't opened it. I called atlas safe in Portland they want over 300$ to come out and open it, which my father had to do in the past. But they only want around $100 if I can take the safe to them. Its just sitting here full of ?!?!??
A large coin collection, probably a gun or two, who knows what my dad put in it....

Again,sorry for your loss.

I know that things can be tough. My advise is take one thing at a time. When this happened with my father in law we took my mother in law home with us so she wouldn't be alone. Maybe your brother can do that with your mom.

She stayed in the house last night. Whats likely to happen is she'll put the house up for sale and Ive invited her to come stay with us for a while or permanently. She's a 2X breast cancer survivor who essentially quit treatment last time and no one thought my dad would die first. He's been the picture of health his whole life.

I am sorry for the loss of your Dad.
May you and your family find the best way for you to honor his memory , and heal the pain and sorrow of his passing.
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a used gun safe at an estate sale but the estate sale folks thoughtfully left the combo numbers taped inside the safe and someone spun the dial before I showed up to take it home.
Luckily, it wasn't bolted down and once I got it home I cut the bottom of the safe open with a short bladed jig saw.
Re-welded the bottom back on and you can't tell once it's back upright.

I already commented on this , read the rest sure does suck, my mom is 79 my dad was gone at 59 long time ago and I am 55 now. In this forum you will find behind the fuss and feuds what we all have in common id say is the love of family for this is why were fight so hard. Your dad sounds like a good man, I hope one day when I go I have lived a life my kids will think this of me. It sucks reading about your loss, but I am encouraged at the people that are real in this post all see the man your dad is by the words you shared with us.
Prayers again for you and your family..!

There are no legal issues. No will that we know of and my mom would know and if my mom wants to give me guns she can do whatever the hell she wants.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss @wired. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

For the safe, I would do some online research, call a few locksmiths. Grinder as a last resort. I have had to call out a locksmith in the past for a similar reason. He was able to get into the safe in about 20 minutes with no damage. Had him reset it to a new combo while he was there. Cost me 100 bux.

Off topic a bit I Did a little cutting and chopping today. Repainted the door yesterday . I was rubbing after the paint job I did on it last week and I slipped with the die grinder clearancing the innder fender so I had to repaint that door Turned out good. I 've got some new seats to install and decided to neuter the car and cut upper hoop and top of the side bars out of the cage to turn it into an 8 point cage. Not legal for under 10 seconds but I'm 6'4 and I was hitting my head on the top loop. Not cool without a helmet and i have a funny habit of not wearing a helmet on the way to the grocery store. This is a street car after all. I got a call half way through the painting process and was told my dad, who I got the car from initially had died. I couldnt leave it mid cycle like that and it was just about all I could do to finish it. Dumped paint over my work bench twice and did some other stupid stuff but my dad always knew me as a guy who finishes projects and this one was going to go back to him for the summer . Finished up and walked away for a while. QUjudA.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top