JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I had grabbed something out of my safe in the morning. Later had plans and needed something else from inside. But then I went an inserted the key to unlock, it would only turn about 30-40 degrees. I thought maybe something was stick on the inside, but I've moved my safe around, heard things fall over and move around on the inside. But it is the key part that stops. When I turn it, I can't feel as if something is in the way from the inside. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I had grabbed something out of my safe in the morning. Later had plans and needed something else from inside. But then I went an inserted the key to unlock, it would only turn about 30-40 degrees. I thought maybe something was stick on the inside, but I've moved my safe around, heard things fall over and move around on the inside. But it is the key part that stops. When I turn it, I can't feel as if something is in the way from the inside. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think those have top and bottom locking rods.. try pushing in on the bottom and top of the non-hinge side of the door a bit while trying the key.

I used to have one of these cabinets back in the day. When you turn the key it has an action bar type mechanism that swings two lugs into place at the top and bottom of the door. I had a manufacturing flaw where after I closed it one of those lugs somehow got disconnected from the main action bar and the door was held shut. I had to bust it open with a crowbar to get access to the contents. You could be having a similar issue. Although the simplest explanation is that something in the safe fell forward and is blocking the action bar from moving. Try tipping the cabinet onto its back and try opening the door that way. If it still doesn't work you may need to force it with a crowbar like I did.

Is it one of those round keys? I've had junk get on the ridges which has prevented unlocking.

I had the model with two round keys, top and bottom independent of each other. A records folder fell forward and blocked the lower one from turning me than 45 degrees. And the cabinet was bolted ti the wall. I drilled a 1/8" hole next to the lock area and was able to insert a coat hanger and push the folder back to unlock the door.

A crow bar also may do the trick.

That was one of my first safes and the lock got stuck all the time.

IMG_3734.jpeg

First thing you do, is not buy a tin can from China. Second thing is you don't ask why it isn't working. It's Chinese. Third thing, buy a SAFE. Fourth, it's disposable so just get into it.

I thought maybe something was stick on the inside, but I've moved my safe around, heard things fall over and move around on the inside. But it is the key part that stops. When I turn it, I can't feel as if something is in the way from the inside. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If the key isnt inserted all the way it wont rotate all the way, it will "feel" as if something is in the way but its one of the key lugs not engaging. Push hard on the key before turning and keep the pressure on it.

Otherwise...
behind the key is a metal plate that rotates with the key, it also forms a lock at that part of the door and is horizontal when locked. If something fell under it, it wont turn.
Keep moving the cabinet around till things fall over again. Lay it on its right side. If that doesn't work you have to use a prybar and ruin the cabinet.

Try laying the safe on its back if possible. That will take the pressure of the locking bars that engage from the top and bottom of the door.

Like I mention previously I made the mistake of buying a stack on as my first safe and those bars would bind up all the time on the bushings that encased them.

Once you get it open take the carpet covering of the door off and you'll be able to see the mechanism and where it binds up. Not allowing the key to turn.

If the locking mechanism is exposed it's possible that a rifle has been dislodged a d is not impeding the motion of the locking mechanism.

Last Edited:
As stated, getting it on its back will probably do it. If the pin/bar mechanism has become disengaged from the bellcranks, you may have try to flip it on its side in order to get the pins to drop out and release the door. Rubber mallet may help. Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top