JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would make cutouts for the guns, then buy a sheet of 10mm EVA foam and use it to fill the cutouts.
Its seems like making gun interior foam case correctly is all going towards the direction you just mentioned. However when I got the case it already has pick and pluck cuts out. From where I stand now and everyone is suggesting is turning it close to its original solid form state as much as I can. then shape it like butter. Next time its either I get a whole solid 2 part foam case or I will just get an empty one. Thank you.

Its seems like making gun interior foam case correctly is all going towards the direction you just mentioned. However when I got the case it already has pick and pluck cuts. from where I stand now and everyone is suggesting is turning it close to the original solid form state as much as I can. Next time its either I get a whole solid 2 part foam or I will just get an empty case. Thank you.
Upholstery shops have various density foam to just replace the entire thing. Or, you could always buy guns that fit the existing cutouts.
Apologies to the other half.

Upholstery shops have various density foam to just replace the entire thing. Or, you could always buy guns that fit the existing cutouts.
Apologies to the other half.
Actually you gave me a very strong and brilliant idea! Another option in my present state is inserting a solid square foam that is a bounding box of the rifle. lets say the rifle is 34 inch Length x 7 width x the same thickness of the pluck and pull foam, then add 1.5 inch on "each side" of L and W which is the bounding box.. Glue it together then shape your rifle inside inside the bounding box.
... For now Id use the plasti-dip they recommended. Anyways I already ordered it and ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

Last Edited:
Open cell foam like the pick n pluck type can absorb moisture and lead to rust. Closed cell foam is a much better choice for long term storage of metal objects. More expensive and a bit harder to work with. An electric wire or an electric carving knife will both work well for cutting.

It is too bad that Pelican cases don't come with the better foam, but if they did, a lot of customers wouldn't be able to cut it. Basically, pick n pluck is a compromise solution targeting the average consumer who is looking for "good enough" at a reasonable price. For long term storage of metal items of substantial value or importance, it is worth the extra time/effort/cost to pursue better foam.

There are services that will CNC cut high quality foam to your exact specs. You can create a layout specific to your exact items/case and they will cut it to fit both case and items perfectly. Expensive, but definitely the best path to very secure storage with minimal movement in an optimized environment.

Open cell foam like the pick n pluck type can absorb moisture and lead to rust. Closed cell foam is a much better choice for long term storage of metal objects. More expensive and a bit harder to work with. An electric wire or an electric carving knife will both work well for cutting.

It is too bad that Pelican cases don't come with the better foam, but if they did, a lot of customers wouldn't be able to cut it. Basically, pick n pluck is a compromise solution targeting the average consumer who is looking for "good enough" at a reasonable price. For long term storage of metal items of substantial value or importance, it is worth the extra time/effort/cost to pursue better foam.

There are services that will CNC cut high quality foam to your exact specs. You can create a layout specific to your exact items/case and they will cut it to fit both case and items perfectly. Expensive, but definitely the best path to very secure storage with minimal movement in an optimized environment.
Great advise. Thank you for the follow-up.

When I worked at Lockheed we just used a waterjet table for foam cutting... :s0062:
Probably not practical to buy a waterjet table for home use... :s0114:

I have bought a case from Case Club for a rifle. They actually send along one of the slender slide razors to use for any extra cutting. I 'think' that you can buy closed cell foam to fit a box that you already own but am not sure of that. I love that stuff

I thought I was ready to cut and shape the plasti dipped foam this morning. As soon as I check it out, the foam was soaking wet outside. Blown by the high winds hours earlier.:s0092:

I'm almost done with the 3 gun case. Pretty much everything that everyone said was right on in my situation. I learned the most effective in my situation was combining all the ideas everyone pitched-in. First of I set aside the long rifle case and started fresh on the small 3 gun case. I plasti-dip all sides of the foam that need to be shapes and cut with 3 coating. After drying, I trace all the 3 guns and start cutting all the way through with a new long, slim and narrow width utility knife. For some reason the most effective way of cutting that plucked foam is heating up 3/4 of the blade it starts glowing hot and it cuts one time on a 3.5 inch thick foam like butter. When the knife is cool, it wont cut right. Anyways after finishing up all the 3 cutout, I measured all 3 gun sitting and it feels like its better to elevate the gun "flushed" on the top. Whatever gun shaped foam left over, I took it and cut 1.3 inches in height and use that as an elevator to raise the gun sitting flush to the top. Then I bond the cutout foam and the "lower blank foam" with spray contact cement. Let it dry the hit the cutouts with 3 coatings of plasti-dip for final. So far I haven't done the magazines yet but Will check it out tomorrow after all dry the will take it from there.

In regards to the rifle case, I might have messed up this one for I cut it without the plasti-dip. Now I see some loose end and I'm not sure of I can save that foam the right way.
1699839334583.png

I finally saw that magul daka grid stuff in a retail setting. Holy crow! They're asking as much for the insert as they are for the pelican knock off cases.
If I could do it all over again, I would go with a 1 piece foam without the grid cut. But I couldn't pass up the big case besides it was on sale too.

One thing to keep in mind when building cases, is that the guns should all be facing the same direction. Most gun clubs and ranges frown or have rules against guns facing up range while being uncased at the firing line…..

I forgot about the part that I have chamber flags and one of them is upside down
Just fit 2 or 3.

Overflow should be another can.
The magazines are taller than what I expected to vertically fit in the same case on table position
I think I'm just gonna sink in a container tray on the same case and call it the day.

1699890661555.png

Just my thoughts on cases and foam...

Closed cell foam is superior to open cell...which is what the pick and pluck is. It's also a lot more durable. The act of putting in guns and taking them out over time can cause other pieces of pick and pluck to detach. Closed cell is also much easier to cut IMO.

But with that said, my solution tends to be to ditch the foam altogether (just order a plain empty case) and then find a padded soft case that will fit inside the hard case. You still get excellent protection but you gain the ability to a) use the case for a variety of guns instead of just one...or having to buy/cut multiple foam sets...and b) if you travel, you can ditch the heavy, bulky, hard case when you get to your destination and use the easier to manage soft case. Hard cases are great but they're overkill for most situations...and as I said, they're big, bulky, and heavy.

That container is so cool.
BTW. Do you know where I can get a good set of 4 locks, physical all same keyed (not dial), non TSA that will fit this case?
Thanks.

View attachment 1761740
I bought some like key locks from Amazon.com for locking some of my ammo cans for transport. I also bought a few Apache cases from Harbor Freight which fit fine as well.

IMG_4745.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR