JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Off topic a bit I Did a little cutting and chopping today. Repainted the door yesterday . I was rubbing after the paint job I did on it last week and I slipped with the die grinder clearancing the innder fender so I had to repaint that door Turned out good. I 've got some new seats to install and decided to neuter the car and cut upper hoop and top of the side bars out of the cage to turn it into an 8 point cage. Not legal for under 10 seconds but I'm 6'4 and I was hitting my head on the top loop. Not cool without a helmet and i have a funny habit of not wearing a helmet on the way to the grocery store. This is a street car after all. I got a call half way through the painting process and was told my dad, who I got the car from initially had died. I couldnt leave it mid cycle like that and it was just about all I could do to finish it. Dumped paint over my work bench twice and did some other stupid stuff but my dad always knew me as a guy who finishes projects and this one was going to go back to him for the summer . Finished up and walked away for a while.View attachment 448416
I completely understand what you've just stated. You are very strong, keep posting here if only to vent or update. We are here for you!

Impressive perspective @wired. Best wishes all around.

if you have a few quiet moments, may I humbly suggest a glass of your favorite while listening to Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" album.

Of course off topic and unsolicited, but for me it's been a helpful recipe. Cooks up nicely in the garage.

But it took some time to relax enough to absorb it all.

Didnt sleep well last night. Probably going in to work and tell them I'm taking the week off. Got to take care of a few things.

Just seen this and am sorry for your loss Wired. Take the time that is needed for your family and yourself. The safe will wait and I am sure you will get into it when needed. Again my condolences.

I lost my mom a few years back. It was tough, you never really know how it feels until you lose a parent.

Sorry for your loss, Wired. Hug the kids, and no more spoiling them with Camaros... You can send those my way.

When my grandfather died I inherited a pistol from him. Shooting it, I almost hear him correcting my form and almost feel him adjusting my stance. For me, it is the way I remember him the best. There is just something about shooting someone you love's firearm after they are gone. So I hope you get in easy sir and as time passes remember the good times together as you shoot the gun.

My condolences to you @wired for your loss. It is never easy to loose a loved one and parents are especially hard to loose. Just take your time and do what you need to do for your mother, your family and especially you. The safe is just a thing, nothing more. I had a thought, some new members are looking for a safe but don't have much money. Depending on the type and value of the safe and you and your family don't want it you could put an ad in here and give the safe to someone provided they pay the cost of a locksmith to open it. Just an idea. I hope you and your family fare well in the coming days and my the Good Lord watch over all of you now and in the coming days.

Went over today. My moms is understandably still in the freaking out stage and wanted all his stuff out of the driveway and garage because she thinks of him . OK. So my brothers and I spent the day clearing that stuff out. The safe we had to split open with maul. Took about 10 minutes. i forgot how many guns I had given him over the years. We all got a few to remember him by . Got the Woodsman he used to shoot rabbits with when he was a kid that my Great Grandfather bought new in 1932. My old P38 which was the first handgun I ever bought when I turned 21 . I forgot I had let him borrow my Benelli Super Nova tactical 12 years ago. A couple of Glocks , NAA .22 etc. One more to pick up is the Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon my grandfather gave me that Dad had on display in a shadow box which is promptly going off display . Worth too much to leave out in a steal me box. He used to play cops and robbers with it when he was a boy and has probably been in the family since the Gold Rush. Apparently I didnt have enough tools either so I picked up a truckload. Going back tomorrow for more junk. I know the origin of everything I own down to individual sockets and such so it will be nice to think of him as I'm using his gear.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my mother a few years ago and I'm still feeling the pain. As to the safe, if you can't find the number anywhere and must force it open, most inexpensive safes can be opened with a drill, punch, and sledge hammer (with destruction of the lock and one small hole to weld up). More expensive safes have ball bearing anti-drill plates and a piece of glass that breaks when drilled and releases relockers (if you even think it has relockers—do not attempt to drill, or you will have a bad day) Google lock installation instructions and pay attention to the location of the bolt on the lock itself, estimate it's location on the outside and drill a 3/8" hole in front of the bolt and smack the bolt with a punch—it will destroy the lock you don't have the combination for and only requires welding a small hole or just put a tamper proof bolt in it and install a new lock.

I hope you and your brothers at least had a good time reminiscing while you worked. Sounds like there are a lot of good memories tied to all that stuff...,
BTW I was Really hoping there was at least one Glock in there.
Just Because;)

I hope you and your brothers at least had a good time reminiscing while you worked. Sounds like there are a lot of good memories tied to all that stuff...,
BTW I was Really hoping there was at least one Glock in there.
Just Because;)

Yeah, we had a good time Still go to figure out what to do with the motor home and camper. truck, jeep, other cars. Dad was a bit of a pack rat. I say that knowing I have about 3X the tools he had . Now Ive got at least 12 complete 1/2" drive sets.

He had one of those big 10 grand double tool boxes thats taller than me and I'm 6'4" . He was at a car show once and the NAPA guy was running a booth. The guy knew my dad and told him he should buy a raffle ticket to win the tool box. My dad says" Nah, I never win anything" . The Napa guy said ..." Hey Ron, I think you might do well this time ". Guess what ? He won. What a coincidence. Sumbeech weighs about 500 lbs empty. Took 3 of us to yard it in the truck.

Yeap, Glock 26 and 19. Dad wouldnt get out of bed without strapping on the 26 and theres no way in hell he'd set foot in Canada.

Last Edited:
Are your brothers close to Longview or are they having to travel here too?

They both live in Longview. My folks moved there when I was in the Army . They were both engineers at the Trojan Nuke plant before those idiots in Oregon shut it down. I'm coming in from Yakima.

It was a very memorable Sunday morning for my then very young children when they demoed the cooling tower... we sat on a hillside across the river, still in their pajamas, and watched it come down.
A hellofa thing to behold, but what a waste of a cheap and efficient source of power.

I never even considered a maul. Lighter gauge steel?

It was just a small safe that Dad for some reason did not think he needed to bolt to the ground so it was easy to bring into the shop and split the side panel with a maul and sledge. Once the bolts were exposed a crowbar finished the job.

FWIW if youve never seen a loading lever equipped Colt 1848 baby Dragoon...Now you have. Colts first commercially successful guns. They made about 15K of them but probably far less than a thousand in this configuration . This one was built early in 1849 before the 1849 models were released and is unusual with its long barrel and loading lever.

hfc7V2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top