JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Condolences...
My father is nearing 80 and has Parkinson's. He jokes about not having to wait too long before I inherit his Liberty safe full of guns and ammo.I don't find it as funny as he does. This is a good reminder not to take any time we have left with our elders for granted.

Its a small electronic safe. No idea of the model. I've got to go over to Longview this week and take stock of whats what and who gets what etc. Dad was a car guy and he built a few 496's and 454's I'll be loading up 'cause I'm a car guy too and $40K or so worth of tools etc. that would be redundant for me so my brothers who arent car guys can have that stuff if they want. Like I said I dont care about his stuff. Theres a few guns I'd like mostly the ones I gave him as that was always the tacit agreement but to be honest I don't care about his guns. They didnt define him. I dont know if he had a will but even if he didnt it wont cause strife in our family. He was a good family man, a certified genius and a great engineer and a good dad.
I live in Longview... if there's anything I can do to help while your here hit me up!

Condolences to you on your loss.

Thoughts on the safe: limit grinding, if you can. Until you can determine exactly what's inside. ie, he may have put important documents in there. Grinding may destroy documents via sparks->fire.

As others mention, prybar/drill (drill incrementally, until you can have a good idea what's inside). Then perhaps sawsall vs cutting wheel depending upon how thin wall/if you can limit damage to contents.

Condolences...
My father is nearing 80 and has Parkinson's. He jokes about not having to wait too long before I inherit his Liberty safe full of guns and ammo.I don't find it as funny as he does. This is a good reminder not to take any time we have left with our elders for granted.

And you never know. My dad was the healthiest 77 year old guy Ive ever known. His alcoholic dad lived into his mid 80's and his mom who smoked like a stack lived to 98. We expected my teetotalling dad to live forever. Other than a managaed cataract problem he never had any health issues and I could count the times he was sick on one hand. Heart stopped in his sleep next to his wife of 54 years. I can think of worse ways to go.

My condolences @wired I lost my Dad last year and it's just tough. I think you will need a locksmith, but wanted to point out for other types of locks that when I lost the key to my gun cabinet I looked very carefully at the lock and got it's key code, then had the manufacturer send me a new key. Also, when I got my new safe a few weeks ago one of the reasons I registered it was that would be able to give me the combination in the event I forgot it.

God bless you and your family. You are my thoughts and prayers as well as countless others who know you through this forum.

Wow... I've really been thinking about my old mans mortality lately, it was actually on my mind while scanning through the threads when I clicked... thank goodness this isn't a video forum.

Sorry about your dad.

As to the safe. if you have a small saber saw Lenox makes some BI METAL blades in 18 and 24 tooth that will cut through a thin safe very easily. I cut a 54" long bumper out of a 3 x 4 tube 1/8" thick (two 54" long cuts it took 1.5 blades and some time) Drill a 3/8" hole to start and if you are going to make a square access hole at each corner. then shorten the blade so it only sticks down a 1/4" at the top of its stroke. Shake the contents to the side farthest away from the cut and have at it.

NO SPARKS

My sympathies on the sudden loss of your father, this must be a very difficult time. Regarding the safe, my first thought was to the locksmith, if they'll do it (may want some proof that it's rightfully yours before trying to crack it), but I was also thinking many safes aren't all that thick in the back and may not be that difficult to get into that way. Maybe carefully hitting it with a small grinding wheel could be an option.

Either way, I am truly sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss, wired! This thread has really helped my sometimes shallow perspective. Cause for reflection, I suppose.

Locksmith or prybar sounds about right to me or a number of other things. I have no doubt you'll be able to crack it as I know you're quite handy.

Keep your chin up, friend!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR