JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Consumers can believe they have properly programmed the biometric feature when in fact the safe remains in the default to open mode, which can allow unauthorized users, including children, to access the safe . . . ."

Anyone have one of these and able to shed some light?

Is this a mechanism fault (as in, it can happen even if the user properly follows programming instructions? Or is it - instead - the result of a user failing to read (or failing to follow) the programming instructions?

"Consumers can believe they have properly programmed the biometric feature when in fact the safe remains in the default to open mode, which can allow unauthorized users, including children, to access the safe . . . ."

Is this a mechanism fault (as in, it can happen even if the user properly follows programming instructions? Or is it - instead - the result of a user failing to read (or failing to follow) the programming instructions?
I was wondering the exact same thing. The article was so full of CNN propaganda that they did not want to put any real info. Sure "sounds" like the reason they are dancing a little show here is people just did not bother to read the damn directions??

From what I read, there are some states that allow the biometric to read any print. Some safes shipped with that feature set and got sold in states that that was not legal. That seems odd to me

First, why would any safe ever open to just anyone? To me that turns it into a drawer, not a safe

Beyond that how did the distributor make this mess up?

I really like safes to work for one or two people or three people but no more and not for everybody.

Buy a Chinese made gun "safe", suffer Chinese quality control. 🤷‍♂️
I haven't seen the programming instructions, so this question is just a shot in the dark: Could programming failure also result from "user inability to comprehend Chinglish?"

Understanding instructions that are only nominally written in English can be a real barrier to success (a battle I've been fighting lately, trying to properly set up an inexpensive body cam).

I haven't seen the programming instructions, so this question is just a shot in the dark: Could programming failure also result from "user inability to comprehend Chinglish?"

Understanding instructions that are only nominally written in English can be a real barrier to success (a battle I've been fighting lately, trying to properly set up an inexpensive body cam).
Good question. I tried to find a PDF of the manual for these safes to see what it said. Seems to have been scrubbed as I could not find one. Since CNN put it out no idea if any of it was real. I was trying to find out do the safes come set to just open for any finger? Then instructions to set it to only those you want? If anyone can still find a PDF would be interesting to see what the hell it says, or does not say.

Good question. I tried to find a PDF of the manual for these safes to see what it said. Seems to have been scrubbed as I could not find one. Since CNN put it out no idea if any of it was real. I was trying to find out do the safes come set to just open for any finger? Then instructions to set it to only those you want? If anyone can still find a PDF would be interesting to see what the hell it says, or does not say.
Likely the instructions don't make it clear how you verify that it now opens only to your prints.

OK after a little more searching I found the instructions. If this is the same instructions that were sent with them from the start? If these will only open to the prints registered after these simple instructions are followed? This is another example of idiots who want to sue because they are too stupid to own a gun in the first place. Again though no way to know for sure with places like CNN putting out the "news". 🤬

To register your fingerprint, locate the "Reset" button (6).

a. Press and hold the reset button until all lights flash blue once with a beep.

b. Press your finger to the biometric scanner, then remove your finger after the scanner light

flashes blue once with a beep.

c. Repeat step B 3 times. Then the scanner light will flash blue twice with two beeps. Now your

fingerprint has been successfully registered.

d. If the scanner light flashes red 5 times with 5 beeps, it means registration has failed and you

must repeat the above steps.

NOTICE

You cannot register more than 50 fingerprints. If the red light flashes 5 times

with 5 beeps when you press the reset button, it means the fingerprint storage

capacity is full.

So if you don't set it up properly, it could appear to work if you also don't test it properly. "Honey, bring the kids in here. I want to check something."
Huh? I didn't glean that from the recall notice, but I guess that if you are unaware how to set up your safe that could happen to you.

So if you don't set it up properly, it could appear to work if you also don't test it properly. "Honey, bring the kids in here. I want to check something."
If I was to buy one of these the first thing I would of course do is just try a different finger. My phones have this option and it only works with the finger you register to it. So these would be simple to test. Did seem strange that they sent them out to just work with any touch till set up but, still "looks" like a matter of people who if they can't follow those directions? They should not own a gun. You are buying a safe to keep the gun "safe" and don't bother to read and set it up? Then sue? I guess its stuff like this why my lawn mower has a lever you have to hold to keep it running that I have to make a catch for. Some moron stuck his hand in one while it was running and sued. That old line if you make something idiot proof they just come up with a better idiot. :rolleyes:

Huh? I didn't glean that from the recall notice, but I guess that if you are unaware how to set up your safe that could happen to you.
"Sounds" like they have already been making some that do not just unlock with any touch. The recall I saw showed certain models that they were wanting recalled. Recall was really just them seeing you destroyed the reader and them sending you a new unit. So have to guess the new ones only work with the key until you register prints to them.

"Sounds" like they have already been making some that do not just unlock with any touch. The recall I saw showed certain models that they were wanting recalled. Recall was really just them seeing you destroyed the reader and them sending you a new unit. So have to guess the new ones only work with the key until you register prints to them.
But if the issue is operator error wouldn't they want you to send them a video of you distryong your fingers and then they would send you new ones? o_O

OK after a little more searching I found the instructions. If this is the same instructions that were sent with them from the start? If these will only open to the prints registered after these simple instructions are followed? This is another example of idiots who want to sue because they are too stupid to own a gun in the first place. Again though no way to know for sure with places like CNN putting out the "news". 🤬

To register your fingerprint, locate the "Reset" button (6).

a. Press and hold the reset button until all lights flash blue once with a beep.

b. Press your finger to the biometric scanner, then remove your finger after the scanner light

flashes blue once with a beep.

c. Repeat step B 3 times. Then the scanner light will flash blue twice with two beeps. Now your

fingerprint has been successfully registered.

d. If the scanner light flashes red 5 times with 5 beeps, it means registration has failed and you

must repeat the above steps.

NOTICE

You cannot register more than 50 fingerprints. If the red light flashes 5 times

with 5 beeps when you press the reset button, it means the fingerprint storage

capacity is full.
50 fingerprints are a lot. I wonder how long it would take to scan through all 50 to find the right one trying to open the safe In an emergency.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top