JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad died this morning and Ive got to go over to help do whatever it is that people do when people die this week. Doesnt happen much in my family . In any case he's got maybe a dozen guns or so in a gun safe. No one else knows the combination of course. Is this something that any locksmith can do or do I need to bring the grinder and a pack of skinny wheels?

Well, I'm sorry for your loss first and foremost.

As far as the safe, probably need a locksmith.

Sorry about your dad, i've been there. Hope the rest of the family is doing okay!
Is there no key override (long shot, I know)?
Otherwise, I see whizz wheels in your future. :( hopefully else has a better idea.

Most importantly of all I'm sorry for your loss, my condolences.

I think the question to ask is if there is any value in keeping the safe it a locksmith can crack it and make it usable again. Otherwise its just a matter if the locksmith is faster and/or cheaper than a die grinder cutting wheel.

No. its just a small closet style safe with handguns in it. No one cares about the safe or whats in it really, I'd much rather have him around than his stupid guns.

Sorry for your loss. A Good Locksmith is the best way to go.

If it was me I'd have the Locksmith reset the combo. Maybe your Dad gave IT to someone you don't know about. Kinda a better safe than sorry thing.

Last Edited:
Sorry to hear that .lock smith could get in with out damage but if you don't care about the safe crow bars and grinding will get you in might take a bit of work .a lock smith will take time depending on what kind of safe it is

Most folks write down the combo somewhere in the same room as the safe.
My condolences, I've been through this and hopefully your family gets along and can help you out.

No. its just a small closet style safe with handguns in it. No one cares about the safe or whats in it really, I'd much rather have him around than his stupid guns.

Condolences Wired! :(

If it's just a cheapie metal "closet cabinet" and it's considerd disposable, a (cordless) reciprocating saw with a pack of metal blades will cut it right open.

Helped my bestfriend last summer clean out his mothers house after she past.

The family knew there was a safe in the storage space in the basement. They could see it. But you couldn't get to it without moving tons of stuff first.

They asked me how I would open it? I got the family together and told them I had an Idea. And swore them all to not touch that safe!
Later in the week we finally reached the safe. And I was called over to crack it.

I asked if it had been touched? They all swore no. I said good.
Then without touching the dial. I turned the lever and opened the door on the safe.

I thought Pat may have just left it unlocked. She was a practical woman. :D

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck.

Wired
I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and condolences to the family!
I now have lost both Mom and then Dad two years later. As your Dad they are surely missed. But I am so thankful and blesses for them being in my life. As I am sure you are for the love and leadership your Dad provided to mold your life. I thank God everyday for allowing me to be born with such great parents and their gifts to me. I know you feel the same way.
As far as the safe I would gladly pay a competent lock smith $200 to get into it without damaging it. Safes are not cheap and they are great to have to keep guns as well as valuables and important documents in. You might call the Safe Manufacturer who made the Safe for some competent advise on getting in to it. They should be able to at least advise you who to contact. Locksmith or who ever!
I certainly would not destroy a good safe.
Sniper 03

Sorry fore your loss, sucks been their myself 26 years ago.
If there are expenses the safe could be resold after opened by a locksmith something to think about.

What brand of safe?
Some if the electronic Sentry safes have a reset that can be accessed with a slim jim. There are youtube vids on this.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your father.

As for the safe, as mentioned above, if it is cheap, pry it open. Expensive models may need to be drilled open. I used to work for a company that did this for banks. Depending on the type and quality of the safe it can cost you anywhere from 200-2000. Info on the safe would help determine a lot.

Its a small electronic safe. No idea of the model. I've got to go over to Longview this week and take stock of whats what and who gets what etc. Dad was a car guy and he built a few 496's and 454's I'll be loading up 'cause I'm a car guy too and $40K or so worth of tools etc. that would be redundant for me so my brothers who arent car guys can have that stuff if they want. Like I said I dont care about his stuff. Theres a few guns I'd like mostly the ones I gave him as that was always the tacit agreement but to be honest I don't care about his guns. They didnt define him. I dont know if he had a will but even if he didnt it wont cause strife in our family. He was a good family man, a certified genius and a great engineer and a good dad.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews