JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a very nice SxS .410 that belonged to my Grandfather who passed away in 1935. It's a sweet shooting little guy and has accounted for a number of birds over the years.

That's mostly DNR land, about 150 miles from me, set a good date and I'd possibly join that hunt...

A good way to meet some of the folks here...:);)
Yep it's DNR LAND but logging roads that from what we were on we're good I didn't have 4x4 but had no problems going up the mountain .
North East of Burlington Wa .and South East of Bellingham WA .LOL HALF WAY BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND @AndyinEverson house .
It's a backwoods place small . little towns up there .one store gas station restaurant.
Lol that type of area

Yep it's DNR LAND but logging roads that from what we were on we're good I didn't have 4x4 but had no problems going up the mountain .
North East of Burlington Wa .and South East of Bellingham WA .LOL HALF WAY BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND @AndyinEverson house .
It's a backwoods place small . little towns up there .one store gas station restaurant.
Lol that type of area

But no Banjo's.....EEK!:eek::D
Andy

You have friends...........and from California...........who would have thought!!!!!
I don't have many friends .lol the ones I do have I tell them I'm from IDAHO LOL HEHEHE HILARIOUS
UNLESS THERE BLACK THEN I TELL THEM I'M FROM CALIFORNIA ..
for some reason the black folks are scared of people from IDAHO heheH hahaha

I don't have many friends .lol the ones I do have I tell them I'm from IDAHO LOL HEHEHE HILARIOUS
UNLESS THERE BLACK THEN I TELL THEM I'M FROM CALIFORNIA ..
for some reason the black folks are scared of people from IDAHO heheH hahaha
I have had the same experiance with Japanese people in California........they think we don't like them here in Idaho......which is really weird to me. Some of our most successful and popular people here are Japanese. A Japanese buddy of mine that I used to haul onions for (35 years ago) used to say that Rosevelt thought he was doing a bad thing to them by interning them to Idaho from the coast..........and now we own the whole damn country..........he was also an unapologetic Republican.

Last Edited:
I have had the same experiance with Japanese people in California........they think we don't like them here in Idaho......which is really weird to me. Some of our most successful and popular people here are Japanese. A Japanese buddy of mine that I used to haul onions for (35 years ago) used to say that Rosevelt thought he was doing a bad thing to them by interning them to Idaho from the coast..........and now we own the whole damn country.
Ahhhh hello welcome to HAWAII .
MAHALO OR KANUCHIWAN

I like deer hunting the southern Oregon Cascades, up high, there are usually a lot of grouse so we try to plan a meal with some. Never a guarantee but generally a likelihood.

Last season I got 4 Sooties (used to call them Blues) which can get pretty big. There were 4 of us in camp. I wrapped the breasts in bacon and put them in a hot oven for 20 minutes. I brought my nephew and his son for they're 1st trip down there. They'd never eaten grouse. I planned on having them as a side for the main meal. I must say they were among the BEST grouse I've ever eaten, my nephews eyes got wide and he grinned ear to ear after the 1st bite. After we'd finished none of us were hungry for more food, the breasts had to be pushing close to a pound each. With Roughed grouse we'd have needed at least 2 apiece and would have probably wanted something else too.

Lately I've got a S&W Victory w/a red dot for a dedicated head shooter but I'll take a head shot w/my hunting rifle if it works out. I won't do it while in the woods actively hunting deer, I just let those ones pass. But if I'm on the road or wrapping up a hunt I won't hesitate to shoot. A bunch of years ago I was using a 300 Win mag, we came around a corner and a nice Blue was standing in the road about 75 yds away. I told my bud to hold up I was going to take a head shot w/my 300. Usually w/a head shot a bird will flop around a lot, this one dropped and didn't move. When I got up there and picked up the bird there wasn't a hit on it anywhere jut a thin trickle of blood coming out of one of it's ears. It was deader than dead.

I've only shot a few w/a shotgun, I prefer a head shot w/a projectile over shot any day.

I've been shooting and eating grouse for over 40 years. I've done them in taco's, spaghetti, sandwiches, tenders, roasted, baked, fried, you name it. Whichever way you prepare them, they be good eatin'!

I have a bunch of Elderberry trees in my back yard, the pigeons come in pretty heavy sometimes. The Victory works well on them also, while they aren't bad eating they don't compare to grouse and you need a pile of them to make a meal. Grouse breasts are like white chicken meat but a little juicier and more flavorful, pigeon are dark meat and a little gamier tasting.

I haven't been bird hunting since high school (almost 40 years ago). I'm interested an I think I'll look into it a bit. I'm down in the Tacoma area if anyone else is interested.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top