JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got my first grouse today! Decided that this year was going to be the year that I was going to try it out.
1664575586941.png
Congrats!
Is that one of those brass framed Henry singles?

I hear those are a wee bit pricey.
Do you feel it was worth the money, compared to buying a used single or a new Stevens 301?
Tough one to answer because I bought the Henry haha. To me it was worth it. I like the straight stock and the brass receiver. I can shoot 3 1/2" loads too if I get the itch to do so. Henry makes excellent guns and has top notch service should it ever need to go in. Does that make it 2.5-3x better? Only the owner can answer that. I think the 301 is solid (minus the safety) and would have no issue with it. Just went with the Henry and it's definitely one that will get passed to my kid some day

Tough one to answer because I bought the Henry haha. To me it was worth it. I like the straight stock and the brass receiver. I can shoot 3 1/2" loads too if I get the itch to do so. Henry makes excellent guns and has top notch service should it ever need to go in. Does that make it 2.5-3x better? Only the owner can answer that. I think the 301 is solid (minus the safety) and would have no issue with it. Just went with the Henry and it's definitely one that will get passed to my kid some day
Thanks for your input.
Much appreciated. :s0155:

Lovely gun! I read one review that said the Henry was even better than a Winchester 37 - in my book that is mighty high praise!
I've heard something similar about those Henry single shots.
A bit pricey for what they are, but worth the money.
Seems xrangerx's experience would substantiate that opinion.

Here's a question for you bird hunters, it's supposed to be in the 80s for deer hunting, how long can you keep a bird in the field at that temperature?

Here's a question for you bird hunters, it's supposed to be in the 80s for deer hunting, how long can you keep a bird in the field at that temperature?
Great question. I'm curious to see the responses. I've always just cleaned them when I got home and never had a problem. But I still wonder if I'm flirting with trouble.

Great question. I'm curious to see the responses. I've always just cleaned them when I got home and never had a problem. But I still wonder if I'm flirting with trouble.
I used to breast my birds out back at the twuck. Was never out of the truck for much longer than 20min so no prob. Put in big baggie in the beer cooler.

Guys, you know there is a big diff tween hunting Franklin/Blue and hunting Ruffs... might be best to give advice specific to the breed???

I've noticed over the years that if you dress them asap and get them on ice they are always better. I step on the wings and pull the legs, takes all of 20 seconds. Zip lock bag them and leave it open so heat can escape and into the beer cooler they go!

I used to breast my birds out back at the twuck. Was never out of the truck for much longer than 20min so no prob. Put in big baggie in the beer cooler.
I think that might be against the law.

From the Oregon regs: It is unlawful to disguise the sex or kind of any wildlife while in the field or in transit from the field. The head or one fully feathered wing must be left attached to all game birds in the field or while in transit to the place of permanent residence of the possessor.
Guys, you know there is a big diff tween hunting Franklin/Blue and hunting Ruffs... might be best to give advice specific to the breed???
No, I don't know. :s0092:
Truthfully, most of my grouse are taken while pursuing other game, as opposed to specifically hunting them. The areas I hunt are mostly occupied by Ruffs.

I think that might be against the law.

From the Oregon regs: It is unlawful to disguise the sex or kind of any wildlife while in the field or in transit from the field. The head or one fully feathered wing must be left attached to all game birds in the field or while in transit to the place of permanent residence of the possessor.

No, I don't know. :s0092:
Truthfully, most of my grouse are taken while pursuing other game, as opposed to specifically hunting them. The areas I hunt are mostly occupied by Ruffs.
Damn regs today! Things didn't used to be as complicated back in the day.

I've flushed Ruffs while hunting for deer/elk. Damn things keep jumping up just when you think they are all gone. And I've spied Blues sitting on a log or in a tree while doing same. Your take is whatever it is in those circumstances.

But I specifically hunted Grouse during grouse season. Big diff in strategies.

But I specifically hunted Grouse during grouse season. Big diff in strategies.
I'm listening. Tell us more.

I don't have a dog, but sometimes I sorta hunt specifically for grouse while maybe looking for some chanterelles. (Found a few yesterday but didn't see any grouse.)

I don't have a dog, but sometimes I sorta hunt specifically for grouse while maybe looking for some chanterelles. (Found a few yesterday but didn't see any grouse.)
Many hunters drive until they see a bird. Both species can be seen that way. Ruffs typically on the ground, and Blues typically on a log or in a tree.

When walking roads. Same deal. Old logging roads are best.

But out in the woods generally, Ruffs hang in ground foliage that is not too far away from a water source.

That's all I got. Why I mentioned that you guys should be specifying. Ask Andy... he knows!!!

BTW, grouse are the only birds I ever enjoyed hunting w/o a dog. Good bird season for the dogless. But one does help find them again after the flush, and of course for retrieval.

Many hunters drive until they see a bird. Both species can be seen that way. Ruffs typically on the ground, and Blues typically on a log or in a tree.

When walking roads. Same deal. Old logging roads are best.

But out in the woods generally, Ruffs hang in ground foliage that is not too far away from a water source.

That's all I got. Why I mentioned that you guys should be specifying. Ask Andy... he knows!!!

BTW, grouse are the only birds I ever enjoyed hunting w/o a dog. Good bird season for the dogless.
I've seen them out hunting, which is kind of what got me intrigued. I'm concerned with the temps this week, would it be ok to shoot one on the walk in and NOT get it on ice until evening with temps in the 80s? I'm kind of leaning towards not taking one due to the temperature.

I've seen them out hunting, which is kind of what got me intrigued. I'm concerned with the temps this week, would it be ok to shoot one on the walk in and NOT get it on ice until evening with temps in the 80s? I'm kind of leaning towards not taking one due to the temperature.
I've shot quail and doves in hotter... don't think it would be a problem. But you can always gut it and pour some water in the cavity.

This reminds me of the time I went out to Tahuya with my parents. I think I was 14 or 15 then.
Mom wanted to go mushroom picking, Dad wanted to go deer hunting and I wanted to go bird hunting.
We found a place to park and everyone went their separate ways.
3 hours later, I came back with a bread bag filled with Chantrerelle's (and more to get. Went back and filled another one), Dad flushed a covey of quail, and Mom worked an old slash cut we were parked next to and jumped a 4 point that was probably napping there (30 feet from the truck!) when we pulled up. 🤧 :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top