JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard a lot of people debreast ruffeds. I don't because there are a few other morsels to cook, but the legs arent very enjoyable to eat and it's a bit more work. Some people put the whole cleaned ruffed in a crockpot so you get flavor from the other parts.

One time deer hunting I came across what I thought were just three dead blue grouse. They were dead, but shot by a hunter who had only stripped out the breast and left the rest. I'd seen ruffed like that but never blues.

Mature blues have a lot more other meat. I got a ruffed day before yesterday, and a blue yesterday. Side by side it's quite the difference.

So defintely up your shot loads if you plan on shooting blues on the fly. My 12 ga low brass 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #6 shot with IM choke was almost too light yesterday for the ranges at which I was be tempted to shoot flying blues. Probably need high brass 1 3/8 oz, or may be better off not shooting so as to not wound and fail recovery. But can also have good luck with 20 ga 3" #6 shot with a 28" barrel and modified choke. Hard to find good shotgun loads right now especially #6 shot.

So defintely up your shot loads if you plan on shooting blues on the fly. My 12 ga low brass 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #6 shot with IM choke was almost too light yesterday for the ranges at which I was be tempted to shoot flying blues. Probably need high brass 1 3/8 oz, or may be better off not shooting so as to not wound and fail recovery. But can also have good luck with 20 ga 3" #6 shot with a 28" barrel and modified choke. Hard to find good shotgun loads right now especially #6 shot.
How do you feel about 20 gauge 2 3/4" Duck & Pheasant loads?
That would be an ounce of #6's with a MV approx. 1220.

How do you feel about 20 gauge 2 3/4" Duck & Pheasant loads?
That would be an ounce of #6's with a MV approx. 1220.
Those should work. I've used those on blues but not too much flying, only high up in trees. Just depends on the shot range I guess. If I'm in blue grouse country with wide open ridges I've felt better with 3" 20 ga. Regardless I've had to watch quite a few blues out of range fly away and soar down the ridge. I'm down to my last 2 boxes of Winchester supreme 3" 20ga copper plated #6 shot. That was good stuff.

She's a good cook to do all that !

What about frying the cubed potato and grouse and having that as a sort of "grouse hash" along with eggs and toast ?
(you could add onion or whatever you like)
It would highlight the flavor of the grouse and would be a great camp breakfast.
THAT, Sir... was an outstanding suggestion! Definately going to add that to the yearly repertoire. The creamy rich egg over crispy black pepper with light garlic taters in bacon grease... sweet gamey grousse bits.. with a side of buscuits... BEAUTIFUL!!

Thank you!

Those should work. I've used those on blues but not too much flying, only high up in trees. Just depends on the shot range I guess. If I'm in blue grouse country with wide open ridges I've felt better with 3" 20 ga. Regardless I've had to watch quite a few blues out of range fly away and soar down the ridge. I'm down to my last 2 boxes of Winchester supreme 3" 20ga copper plated #6 shot. That was good stuff.
I've been thinking about trying out some 3" shells.
Thanks for the suggestion. :s0155:

Good day today. One Blue. One Ruffy. (No need talking about the two I missed, but then I never was much of a Pistolero. If only I had had my 20 gauge Remy 870.)

IMG_4058.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads