JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't see any other grouse thread so bumping this one. Anyone gone hunting for ruffed grouse this year? If so, what do the population numbers look like where you are?

Waiting for more leaves to drop and the pup to grow a little bit more until we go out.

I didn't see any other grouse thread so bumping this one. Anyone gone hunting for ruffed grouse this year? If so, what do the population numbers look like where you are?

Waiting for more leaves to drop and the pup to grow a little bit more until we go out.

I've kicked up a couple in the Hood unit every time I've been out this year. Seems about average to me. I too have a pup(GSP), that I'll hopefully get out NOV/DEC.

I've kicked up a couple in the Hood unit every time I've been out this year. Seems about average to me. I too have a pup(GSP), that I'll hopefully get out NOV/DEC.

I have a GSP pup also!

IMG_20200809_170920_038.jpg

IMG_20200809_170920_038.jpg

I find the grouse numbers increasing, everywhere I go.

In the Northside unit a few weeks ago, Blue Grouse outnumbered Ruff's, and were plentiful to the point we turned down many opportunities. You can only use so much.

A twenty or twelve, with a modified choke covers all the bases pretty well.

Eats stink bugs? Thats a good dog.

Mountain quail in Northside are protected till they are well up in numbers. Those are the quail that fly down hill at you. 34" Louisville slugger will work. Once they land its fun to watch them run, 5 seconds later there is no sign of them. They run under logs, gone.

Any advice for a novice looking to bag some forest grouse on the east slope of the coast range? Was thinking about casually walking some logging roads with a .22lr on my hip. Getting some fresh air and scenery is the primary objective, birds would be bonus points.

Do pattern your shotgun and get a feel for the spread per yard of your pattern especially up close.

When ground sluicing close, hold high off the head and impact head only with About lower 1/4 of pattern.
Instant harvest and zero breast damage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top