JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So with August fast approaching...
I start to get ready for grouse season , which here in Washington starts on the 15th of September.

Going over various guns...trying to decide which one to take and when.
Grandpa's 870...sure...always goes out.
But....
There is my Savage side x side....or Winchester 62A....
As well as a Flintlock fowler and Brown Bess that keep calling out : "Pick Me...! Pick Me...!"
Heck I've even gotten grouse with my Hawken rifle...'course with the Hawken and Winchester , head shots are used.
Otherwise there ain't much to eat... :D
Truth be told I try for a head shot even with my shotguns...again more to eat , or a good clean miss.

Making sure I've got ammo and other gear ready .
Not that I carry a whole lot of gear or ammo....
Grouse hunting is kinda like hiking , but with a cool gun...:D

Looking over the area where I hunt , is always fun.
Good to get out...check the woodline....maybe even do so target practice.

The hunting itself is very fulfilling.
Again that good to be outside feeling...memories of past hunts and those who I have shared them with...
That excitement when the grouse is spotted...or the WOW , when they burst from cover and flush.

In any event this time of year , I am like a kid at Christmas...
Can't wait till that day arrives...
And hoping that I have been "good" enough for the Hunting Gods , to favor me with successful , solid hits or good , clean misses.

All the best to those of you who go out this year , no matter what game you chase.
Have a good , safe hunt.
Andy

Last Edited:
I'm looking forward to the start of grouse season as well. The birds I found last season did a great job of evading me in the thick brush so I am eager to get at them again. Very exciting when they flush out of nowhere with great speed.

Hopefully WDFW doesn't delay the start of the season by 2 weeks like they did last year.

Grouse saved our elk season last year. After an unusually dismal week of trying to find elk and being poised to head home the next morning, I told my son to grab his bow because I was going to guide him on a grouse hunt. Over the next couple of evening hours we saw lots of birds. He flung four arrows and returned with two grouse. What could have been a long 9 1/2 hour drive home after an unsuccessful hunt, turned into "the return of the victorious hunters". LOL

I can't wait either, After dove and quail, Grouse are tops on my list. Most years are good, but the last three deer hunts, I was fortunate to be able to dine on Grouse the very evening I arrived, shortly after setting up camp, then going for look see walk with my old single shot 12ga truck gun. Life doesn't get better than that!

Definitely looking forward to grousing this year. Last year was my first time trying. Seemed nearly every time I went deer hunting I'd see a grouse (w/o my shotgun), so when deer season closed I went back in search of grouse. Those times a didn't see any grouse, but I did see a buck haha. Fun times walking in the woods all around.

Looking forward to trying dove hunting too.

I don't always get every one I see, but that's likely do to the fact I don't carry a shotgun. Usually I have my 22.

I do enjoy it when I'm able to get one or two.

One of these years I'll go out and get one of those 410 single shots and get better at shooting them flying.

Best wishes to your season @Andy54Hawken

Now I'm thinking about Grouse fritters!:s0072:

What's the method most of you all use for grouse hunting, and/or IDing good habitat? I've only tried walking along roads on the edge of clear cuts that butt up to reprod. Don't think I've seen more than one in any one area at a time, though.

Most of the grouse hunting "how-to" resources are from the Midwest or east. I'm wondering what people do to get better success out here in the PNW.

One tool at our disposal is the annual harvest reports put out by the WDFW. From the report you can learn how many hunters are operating in a given GMU, the success rate/how many birds were taken yearly and the prospects for the current year. I am guessing that Oregon does this as well?

Every source I've come across says to focus on riparian areas, meaning adjacent to creeks or other water sources.
I have found that the ruffed grouse around my area love some thick underbrush. Also they will sometimes make a nervous clucking/chirping sound as you approach their hiding spot which can give away their position. Very helpful to recognize this, especially if you do not have a dog to sniff them out.

Scouting works well...
Look for things that the grouse like to eat....
Look for places that provide cover and a area to escape to....

Remember where you actually saw that grouse...and go back to it in a day or two , if you miss him the first time.....
Andy

Last Edited:
Most of my "hot spots" were discovered while hunting deer, elk and bears. While not a good thing to have one explode out ahead of you (notifying every big game animal within earshot of your presence), I do take note of where it happens on a consistent basis so that I may return to the area with my 20 gauge. The edges of logging roads are often productive, particularly ones that are "tank trapped" or otherwise closed to traffic. Most of my best spots have timber around - not clear cuts, but they can be found there as well. Having a water source in the vicinity helps. I'm not a true grouse hunter and don't have a dog, but I am certainly an opportunist when it comes to grouse and consider them to be downright tasty.

This is a great year for numbers of birds. In my travels during this spring bear work season I seen more females with chick's than I ever have in the past 15 years in this area. It's good be a great grouse season! Chantrels and grouse breasts,, I can hardly wait!

What's the method most of you all use for grouse hunting, and/or IDing good habitat? I've only tried walking along roads on the edge of clear cuts that butt up to reprod. Don't think I've seen more than one in any one area at a time, though.

Most of the grouse hunting "how-to" resources are from the Midwest or east. I'm wondering what people do to get better success out here in the PNW.
I like to hike old logging roads, the ones that a car or truck might not exactly go down easily anymore due to overgrowth etc. Mostly I'm not really hunting per say, I'm hiking, exploring, type thing. I see them often doing this. About 1 in every 8, I might get a shot off on. Sometimes they haven't a clue I'm walking up in on them, sometimes they spook before I see them. It's not an exact science really.

Other times I'm in the thick of it looking for squirrel and one will be chilling and I'll get a shot off on it. Mostly go for head shots with the 22.

Got my self a new to me 16ga Remington 1100 dated 1968..Smooth shooting and fast to swing and point.. Gonna be my first season without my bird dog so i guess i better stay out of the real nasty pockets of brush..Fresh chantrelle and grouse soup is almost back on the woodstove.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top