JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recall you could hunt forest grouse in Oregon with a 22lr while hunting for deer or elk. I believe, I may be wrong, that you didn't have to have the upland tag. That said, now that I've got a can, I'm finally intrigued, but I can't find the information.

Am I remembering things wrong, did they change the rules?

I'm pretty sure you can still hunt grouse with rimfire, but I think you still have to have the upland bird validation on your hunting license. I don't really know whether there was ever a stipulation where the rules were different if you were hunting deer or elk. Sounds like something my dad would have said, but he also used to talk about having a Calapooya license that entitled/enabled/supersized his hunting tags. It was of course completely mythical. (He has been gone long enough that the statutes of limitation have all certainly expired.)

I'm pretty sure you can still hunt grouse with rimfire, but I think you still have to have the upland bird validation on your hunting license. I don't really know whether there was ever a stipulation where the rules were different if you were hunting deer or elk. Sounds like something my dad would have said, but he also used to talk about having a Calapooya license that entitled/enabled/supersized his hunting tags. It was of course completely mythical. (He has been gone long enough that the statutes of limitation have all certainly expired.)
It would have been like 7 or 8 years ago.

It would have been like 7 or 8 years ago.
I guess it's possible. Despite being over 60, I've only started hunting grouse about the last five years. I shot one when I was a little kid, probably 6 or 7 years old, because my dad told me to. I didn't have a license or anything back then, and may not have needed one at so young an age.

Need an upland bird stamp or endorsement for $10. Has always been that way to my recollection. I probably still have somewhere the actual upland bird stamps from the early 1990s. Page 6 of the current Oregon bird regs gives you the info

Thems the rules

50B3BC6D-8512-45ED-8508-CCAD7AA75A94.jpeg 6F51707B-AF15-4183-B66B-64814EC55B45.jpeg

I wanted to do some Grouse hunting this year with my 22 cal break barrel air rifle, but I guess that option is out. Stupid rule imo! I guess I can hunt Rabbit and Squirrel with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top