JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Grouse season is almost here ( September 1st opener )
Grouse is my favorite animal to hunt.
Don't need a ton of gear...
Can easily clean 'em in the field...
Don't take up much room in the fridge or freezer...
Can be hunted with many different guns and even Archery...
You can bring your dog.., or if you are the young guy , who has a older guy as a hunting partner , you get to be the "dog".... :eek::D
( That is usually what happens to me...:D )
Can easily be done on the spur of the moment...

Grouse hunting is like hiking with a gun...
So you get plenty of exercise ...or wish you did before the season started...:D
Good comfortable footwear is a must ...as well as a easy toting and shooting gun.

Anyways...no real point to this post other than to say that I can't wait till September....
Andy

I think so...
Much like the organic free range chicken...only better...
That said ...
Late season in the snow ... with little chow around ....they do eat fir tips and get a little "tangy" at times...
Andy

I need a hunting partner! You're a bit too far away for that Andy. How about @No_Regerts? You up for a grouse hunt?

I'm debating if I want to spend the money on a hunting license this year or not.

I've tried everything since living here, and grouse was the only thing I enjoyed hunting that needs a license.

Reminded me of cotton tail or chukar back in NV.

Essentially just walking around outdoors with a gun.

@Kruejl if you want to go walk around some really desolate logging roads, I'm down.

Last Edited:
I'm debating if I want to spend the money on a hunting license this year or not.

I've tried everything since living here, and grouse was the only thing I enjoyed hunting.

Reminded me of cotton tail or chukar back in NV.

Essentially just walking around outdoors with a gun.

@Kruejl if you want to go walk around some really desolate logging roads, I'm down.

I used to take chukar's with my bolt action Montgomery Ward .22lr as a kid. Good eating and no birdshot! :D

I need a hunting partner! You're a bit too far away for that Andy. How about @No_Regerts? You up for a grouse hunt?

Yeah I'm a bit too far away from most of the guys I want to meet or hang out with...
One day I do hope it meet up with you soon...:D

My biggest challenge for grouse is picking just what gun to use...
Hawken rifle...( head shots only )
Royland Southgate rifle... ( again head shots )
20 gauge Flintlock fowler...
12 gauge / .44 combo gun...
1841 Musket...
20 gauge 870 Wingmaster
20 NEF single shot shotgun
Various .22 rifles...
I usually switch out depending on my mood or weather...

Yeah I know...poor Andy...to have to suffer through those kind of choices....:rolleyes::p:D
Andy

Yeah I'm a bit too far away from most of the guys I want to meet or hang out with...
One day I do hope it meet up with you soon...:D

My biggest challenge for grouse is picking just what gun to use...
Hawken rifle...( head shots only )
Royland Southgate rifle...
20 gauge Flintlock fowler...
12 gauge / .44 combo gun...
1841 Musket...
20 gauge 870 Wingmaster
20 NEF single shot shotgun
Various .22 rifles...
I usually switch out depending on my mood or weather...

Yeah I know...poor Andy...to have to suffer through those kind of choices....:rolleyes::p:D
Andy
I stick with a ruger 10/22 or my single shot NEF 12g which is a bit overkill.

Though I guess my ruger American rimfire might be a good gun for this too now that I own one, so ya, I guess I'm no better than you Andy.

I have a gun specifically for Grouse hunting. As grouse and bear season typically coincide as does the enviorment they live in, I use the Valmet/Savage 2400 in 12 gauge 308 I bought new in 1977. Either game is easily handled with one caliber or the other. It is also quick and handy.

I almost got one last year deer hunting but didnt have a good backstop for my 30/06. Probably wouldn't have been much grouse left anyway:D. This year I might take the 20 gauge out before deer season . I'd like to try that air powered shotgun they have out.

Most of my hunting firearms are selected with Grouse in mind. During a large portion of the year, I use my M24 in 30-30 over 20ga. Early season is one of my .22s, my double 12ga, or my trusty old H&R 12ga single. Late season (after fire danger has gone down) I use my flinter Trade Gun. i do have a 16ga single I need to try out this year. I had a very nice Ithaca 16ga pump, but my Son has claimed that one.

Please believe I'll be out opening day. My favorite thing to hunt! I prefer a .22, but have done a bit of wing shooting over my dog as well. Both are great fun.

When I'm out for deer/bear/elk, I use a slingshot with .440 lead balls. Knocks em DRT.

When I'm out for deer/bear/elk, I use a slingshot with .440 lead balls. Knocks em DRT.
Some of the local tribal kids , get 'em with a stick...:D

Do not try this at home kids:
I did ,once , a long time ago , on a FTX far , far away...
Get a rabbit ....I took the blank adapter off my M16 ...dropped a cleaning rod section down my rifle's bore and then loaded and chambered a blank round....along comes Mr. Bunny and then BANG ! PRESTO !
Skewered rabbit for dinner....:eek::D

I guess one could say I had a muzzleloading M16 while in the Army....:p:D
Andy

Grouse season is almost here ( September 1st opener )
Grouse is my favorite animal to hunt.
Don't need a ton of gear...
Can easily clean 'em in the field...
Don't take up much room in the fridge or freezer...
Can be hunted with many different guns and even Archery...
You can bring your dog.., or if you are the young guy , who has a older guy as a hunting partner , you get to be the "dog".... :eek::D
( That is usually what happens to me...:D )
Can easily be done on the spur of the moment...

Grouse hunting is like hiking with a gun...
So you get plenty of exercise ...or wish you did before the season started...:D
Good comfortable footwear is a must ...as well as a easy toting and shooting gun.

Anyways...no real point to this post other than to say that I can't wait till September....
Andy
Hell I will go with you lol I got a shot gun .
I think I have three or four.
I just have to move all the ARs out of the way to find them .lol there in the back of the safe some where

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top