Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Game population at risk when SHTF?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Markjz, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Markjz

Markjz Longview, WA Member

in the event SHTF how long will game populations last. I imagine most people who have not prepared will flock to the cities looking for government handouts.

yet still I bet hunting activity will spike. how long can our deer and elk populations hold out?

will the the city people stick to local cows and stray animals or get lost in the woods looking for food?

2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

City people think meat grows on trees, wrapped in plastic cartons hanging like apples. They'll drive right past a herd
    (or maybe stop to try to milk a bull) but never realize that it was a field full of t-bones.

3. Markjz

oh god! "Look kids I got us some elk milk! should a seen the horns on it. but she didn't seem to mind.. seemed to enjoy it" "daddy I think the milk is gone bad already"

4. raisersedge

raisersedge backwoods Member

Realistically game and fish population will plummet to an all time low. There are to many people looking for food they wil eat anything they can find. Your pets deer fish and I am sure even trash fish and predators. My grandpa fed his family thru the depression on skunks.

5. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

If 10% of the population know basic hunting fishing and how to butcher that's well over 200,000 people in the greater Seattle area alone. You won't find a crab, seagull or kelp for miles a few days after the grocery stores empty.

6. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

The wild game population declined dramatically during the great depression. It would probably be even worse if that were to happen today, due to a larger human population.

7. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Well if the hordes do come out to the country and food is tight.....meat is meat.

8. moriarty689

moriarty689 Oregon New Member

Meat is meat...

I think we covered the answer to this in the infamous Cannibalism thread. A nice tender, organic fed, office kept human... hmm :club:

9. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Must have been before I joined....Keeping city folks in a cubicle and feeding them rich food...isn't that how they prepare Kobe beef???

10. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Time to dust off the old "Donner Party Cookbook" Maybe have a little Rack of M'am. :D

11. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Vegetarians taste the best.

I guess it depends where you live. I don't mind rabbits, nutria and the occasional neighbors cat that wanders too close... "it was runnin' straight fer me and I was skared for my familize lifs so I had to shot it..."

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Animals will be gone in a couple days.

Store up canned goods.

13. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure the wild game population will plummet but how many of the folks in the city have more than a tank of gas to get out of town? How many would be tempted just to pop a "slow elk" (moo) that's standing at the side of the road?

14. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

How is the average person going to store this meat once they have it? I'm willing to bet less than 30% of the city population knows how to store meat without a freezer.

15. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Smoke em' if ya got em' :)

-d

16. Markjz

o_O do we have any good smoking wood here? I hear evergreen smoke can make it toxic

17. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

Maple.Apple...Out here on the coast we use green vine maple,it's everywhere...

18. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

Maybe some MENicin :bluelaugh:

19. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Oh sheesh, that's good to know, never heard of that before (have never used evergreen either)

-d

20. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

Did nobody else get this?! Hilarious! You sir, have won for funniest post on this thread!