JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would say it all depends on Population density and the abilities of the Non Hunting sheeples ability to take game! The vast expanses of Wilds in the western States preclude most Sheeple from venturing very far, so it falls to those who do hunt and have to tools and abilities to reach those areas that folks will come to depend on for food! The west is unique in this, and it makes things pretty black and white for those that CAN and those that CANT!

I think that the death toll of all the edible and non edible forest animals would only be exceeded ... for awhile ... by the two legged death toll. Then both would quickly bottom out. No matter where one wants to go in remote SW OR USA once you finally get there you just have to add your name to the long list ... of all of those who have been there way before you.

All the old long gone played out gold mines come to mind. Some of them are way way out yonder way past the middle of nowhere. How in the world did they manage, why back then, sometimes dating to the 1880s, of getting all that heavy bulky abandoned rusty old mining equipment up that canyon or draw .... or hillside .... or where ever. I know how or I think I do.

They just air dropped it in via giant parachutes or heavy lift helicopters. Fed Ex. UPS. US Postal Service. GPS guided. :)

Hunting can be difficult when you enjoy it and are hunting as a "recreational activity".
Just how many times have you as a hunter gone out and come back with no game or even fired your gun?

I understand that in theory they might be more people hunting in a given area and if it is SHTF , then all game laws are out the window...but still...Most game animals are pretty smart and learn to avoid dangerous areas and people...
Plus if its indeed SHTF....maybe it some folks would trail a hunting party...wait till they get a animal and then take the animal and anything else they wanted from the hunting party...kinda like one stop shopping...

Hunting went on during the many sieges of the forts of Kentucky during the American Revolution...lots of people in a given area all needing to eat and lots of fighting as well....
Granted we have a bigger population now..just pointing that hunting when SHTF has been done before.

And I like the idea of livestock....as noted above....lots of cows , sheep , llamas , goats , chickens , pigs , dogs and cats in my area...I would think they would go first on the menu , more than game you need to hunt.
Andy

Chicken is healthier than horse or beef.And easier to feed.Always plenty of bugs.
Last post of this thread above, then the next one

I bet that your Gramps had several "pews" to himself at church, huh?;)
@Joe Link ; is this a contender for longest period of time for a necropost?

Back to topic... its all in the preparation for food, whatever it may be.

Depends on the SHTF (obviously). However if it were something which interrupted food supplies, but at the same time did not outright decimate human population, then yah, game population as well as anything else that could be eaten could be wiped out.

Add to that wanton waste. Very small % of people can properly dress & butcher. We all eat.

I'd imagine local livestock would be the first to get poached (if not guarded). Likely most of the animal left in the field/stock by the inexperienced poacher, with just a small portion taken.

I forget exactly, but seem to recall during the siege of Stalingrad all manner of things were used to bulk bread. Sawdust & plaster come to mind.

Good point about Stalingrad! Most meat and foods were actually consumed by the Germans, NOT the Russians! Stalingrad was/is the bread basket of that whole area, and much food is produced there! The Russians were very well stocked, the only problem was getting the foods to the front, and in the beleaguered city, that was next to impossible! On the western side, the Germans ate up every thing they could find, and once it was gone, that was it, there were NO supplies coming to them!
In a Post SHTF situation, I see most of the city dwellers simply unable to venture out and take/gather food, and with out food shipped in, they will suffer greatly, with the breakdown, only those outside the cities will have a chance, and small food wars will erupt between the haves and have-nots! Those further out still have the best chance as long as they are able to travel to the food sources! Yes, farm animals will be the first to be taken, and then the game animals further out, but the small number of folks that can actually move about and venture into the wilds will be the only ones eating!

People often rule out small, unseen game.

Moles can be easily caught, their hydrophobic pelts used. Their meat Id assume would be quite clean compared to trash monsters: rats, opposums and raccoons.

Here in the PNW we also have a plethora of insects to eat.. its gross.. but Id certainly stoop to eating them if I had to.
Humans too.. if it truly got to that point.. Id do what I had to. Hopefully it never gets to that point.

Large or visible game Id assume would be gone real quick. Especially anything that could be taken via pellet gun. Birds, squirrels..etc.

Humans too.. if it truly got to that point.. Id do what I had to. Hopefully it never gets to that point.

Large or visible game Id assume would be gone real quick. Especially anything that could be taken via pellet gun. Birds, squirrels..etc.
A good number of deviants out there have sexual fantasies of being eaten :rolleyes: as mentioned, its all about the prep..... but honestly; I would not want to risk catching any of the many diseases and viruses that come from humans.... cooked or not.

I'd sooner eat raccoon, skunk, possum and grubs than to eat a human being.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top