JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I admit it. I can go "without" when it comes to many creature comforts. But I draw the line at toilet paper and coffee. So, we stock up on toilet paper ..... years worth. We would be wealthy in Venezuela, no seriously we would. Toilet paper ...... think about it.

Anyhow, as for freeze dried instant coffee, wasn't sure how I'd like it compared to my stove top percolator coffee pot. All I remembered was Sanka and Folgers Crystals instant neither of which I ever got along with, and a few other "Juan Valdez" offerings.

I'm not a gourmet coffee snob, and I can't break it all down like a wine sommelier as far as all the fun-sucking "information stuff" is concerned. Pretty much, if it doesn't make me vomit, acid my gut up, and/or I instantly spit it out ..... I'm good. Well, so far I have to say, I think I could live with this stuff quite nicely. I've only tried two different kinds, so it's not exactly an extensive list, but they are; Starbucks Italian Roast and Douwe Egberts "Pure Indulgence Coffee".

To me the Starbucks has that slight burnt taste typical of many of their coffees, but not too bad. They have tons of different blends so I will probably branch out a try a few more. All in all, if that's all I had, I would be a happy guy and would be able to find other stuff to complain about. The nice thing about this one, is each cup is in it's own little packet.

The Douwe Egberts "Pure Indulgence Coffee" is what they consider a 4 on a scale of 1-5, 1 mildest-5darkest. I have to say, pretty smooth and rich enough so that you wouldn't think it was an instant coffee if someone just handed you a cup. I give the edge to this one over the Starbucks that I tried. This one comes in a 200 gram (7 ounce) glass jar. So once it's opened your committed to using. Not a problem for my wife and I, we'd go through it fast enough that it would not go bad. Price? Not bad depending on where you buy it from, under $1.00 a cup.

The reason for freeze dried instant coffee is I don't need a grinder for whole beans and don't have to mess with anything but hot water and a cup. As far as I can tell, others have said shelf life is pretty good too, some have said a year+. I bet you could get more than that and not notice.

Thats it, anyone else have experience with decent instant coffee?
Mike

This stuff is my preferred brew for ultralight backpacking and stuff. I think it tastes better than regular starbucks!

prod_instant.png

Thanks for the review!

Lately I've taken to creamer in my coffee, with a touch of coconut oil.

I can, and still do black, but given how much coffee I drink these days I just take to the creamer version better.

I'll have to check out the Asian markets to see if they sell "3 in 1" packets here like they do oversees everywhere. 3 in 1 is instant coffee, creamer and sugar all in one packet, most brands I've tried are "passable" and cheap. Would be handy stored in my 3 day bag/GHB.

Agree-any instant would also be handy to have if I don't want to hand grind beans as mentioned above. The better the coffee though, the better morale would be. I'll have to snag a few jars of that Bustello or some Medaglia d' Ora (?sp).

I've been using folgers coffee in single serving bags for years and have a baggie full of them in my SAR gear and Bug out gear.

LooKS just like a teabag and taste alot better that instant coffee and all you need is a cup and hot water.

If you can, try to find the Bustello in the individual packets. You get 6 for $1.25. I think they have them at Safeway for Fred Meyer.

7447111252.png

My mother used instant coffee and gelatin to make Jello (albeit a little stiffer) . Great with sweet cream or whipped cream.:) Hadn't thought of that in 20 years, thanks for the post.

I buy a lot of Lavazza Coffee as well as Illy brand Coffee. Works with a french press setup on my JetBoil, or can brew like Turkish and it's awesome. For a Camp set up, or SHTF, I use an old pop can that I cleaned out before packed in my BOB/GHB and it has three small holes punched in the top op sit the mouth opening, spoon in 1 1/2 tee spoon and fill with water, and place over heat source until hot enough, pour through the small holes into cup and enjoy!

Granny loved Sanka Decaf. Each time all the grand kids were staying over, she would make some of her chocolate chip cookies. After the cookies cooled she spread melted chocolate on top, like a frosting. On top of that, a good sprinkling of Sanka Decaf granules. I could eat a dozen with a glass of milk, non stop! Boy, were they ever good :)

Sanka, That's what my Grand Dad drank every morning! Two heaping spoon fulls in a 8 oz cup of water out of the tea kettle! Man, was that stuff strong! Could strip the paint and barnacles off a Battle Ship!!!

When I visit a buddy who is not a coffee drinker I use instant in the individual packs, boil water after 2 minutes in the micro, add coffee powder, milk if I got it. Some brand with spanish labeling but I can't remember it for the life of me. I like a great cup of coffee, but also, bottom of the pot works in a pinch, end of watch, SHTF, etc.

Brutus Out

Freeze dried coffee has come a long ways! It's what we have on the storage shelves. We, also mostly keep Starbucks but have some Folgers too! I like the slightly bitter, burnt flavor of the Starbucks best!
But, then my favorite way to drink coffee is a cup of the previous mornings pot, at room temperature! o_O My wife makes coffee strong enough to compete in the Olympics, too!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top