JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Of course......it's a staple of many students and you can find it in many homes (even in Non Asian ones).

BUT, But, but.....remember to rotate your stock. As the noodles can get rancid.

BTW......did you know?

Aloha, Mark

PS......experiment a bit.
Add some, SPAM, Green Onion, Fish Cake, Kim Chee, Hot dogs, Char Sui, etc....

The next time you're in Hawaii check out Shiro's Saimin. Their menu can be found here (in the PDF at the bottom of the page) :

Last Edited:
BUT, But, but.....remember to rotate your stock. As the noodles can get rancid.

BTW......did you know?
no I didnt, and still skeptical. How is this even possible... the noodles have like virtually no nutritional value and dried up. Whats there to spoil?

no I didnt, and still skeptical. How is this even possible... the noodles have like virtually no nutritional value and dried up. Whats there to spoil?
Back in the day.....I thought that they could last almost FOREVER.

Anyway.....
I don't know the specifics.
But......I've had some old stock, that have smelled a bit off and tasted a bit funny. Or maybe, it's just the brand. Whatever.

Aloha, Mark

Anyway.....
I don't know the specifics.
But......I've had some old stock, that have smelled a bit off and tasted a bit funny. Or maybe, it's just the brand. Whatever.
I have a case that might be 10yrs old by now. I'll have to sample one to test. Nissen brand top ramen beef flavor.

RE : The salt and flavor packet.

Ever tried the Korean Brand? Like.....
1695613153460.png
I've seen it available at Wally World, Freddy's and BiMart. And/Or, the Korean store (Boo Han) on 82nd Ave. and of course in a variety of Asian markets.

Warning : Spicy means SPICY. I normally only use half of the flavor packet. And, I'll add my own Kim Chee.

This brand, has that foil type of packaging. Unlike Top Ramen and some of the other Japanese brands.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........save the other half of the flavor packet. I've used it to spice up my Japanese brands of ramen.

Well, this is all very good however I'll try to 'bleach wash' the top Ramen out of your eyes with an 'experiment' I finally tried on my griddle tonight.

Egg washed and floured chicken breast strips griddled with peanut oil. They came out BETTER than I expected, very crispy and accomplished with about 90% less oil than deep frying.

They would have been better with some dippin' sauce and a better spice mix in the flour but this was just a 'test run' and will be improved on in the future!

IMG_20230924_195038692_1.jpg

RE : The salt and flavor packet.

Ever tried the Korean Brand? Like.....
View attachment 1493475
I've seen it available at Wally World, Freddy's and BiMart. And/Or, the Korean store (Boo Han) on 82nd Ave. and of course in a variety of Asian markets.

Warning : Spicy means SPICY. I normally only use half of the flavor packet. And, I'll add my own Kim Chee.

This brand, has that foil type of packaging.

Aloha, Mark
Nope, don't eat any of that crap anymore. Life is too short to eat poorly, drive boring vehicles and shoot crappy guns.

Yes, many people also use the ramen noodles to make a variety of other stir fried noodle dishes.

However......
Another favorite......as a dedicated instant noodle dish/meal is called Korean : Jjajangmyeon.

1695614053662.png

I usually find it at various Asian stores. And, if you can't find this brand, it's no big deal. Try the other varieties.

Aloha, Mark

PS......It might just be Chinese in origin. I can remember seeing it on the Chinese restaurant's menu as : Ja Jiang Mein

Last Edited:
Just to be aware... the salt in instant ramen is mainly in the dehydrated ingredients and powdered seasonings (that contain the "animal" products... beef, shrimp.. whatever). As such... the noodles in the plastic packs with the ingredients and seasonings in separate packaging have more "stable" noodles. Those cup type with the noodles, ingredients and seasonings all mixed in are the fastest to "turn". The ingredients and seasoning powder's fault more than the noodles.

The noodles by themselves don't have much salt and doesn't aide a whole lot as a "preservative". The main reason they go rancid is simply because the cheap plastic packaging itself is still permeable to a degree. As is the season packet material.

For the longest freshness I think the main contributor there is the external method of storage. IE., An airtight, heavier, and non light penetrating storage container will keep instant noodles fresher... longer.

Personally... I only rarely use the seasoning packets. Too much salt, kinda nasty tasting... and much easier to just toss a little scoop of hondashi, soy sauce and maybe a splash of mirin to the hot water for fresh broth. (Which... are the most common and basic ingredients in any ramen or udon type soup broth.) IOW, instant noodles, but homemade/fresh broth that really only takes pennies and seconds to throw together.

Then again, I don't really eat those plain out of the pack. Typically adding in my own dehydrated veg mix, a can of fish, an egg... etc etc and just like the noodles because they rehydrate "instantly" and so much faster than cooking from standard dry noodles.

Last Edited:
Well, this is all very good however I'll try to 'bleach wash' the top Ramen out of your eyes with an 'experiment' I finally tried on my griddle tonight.

Egg washed and floured chicken breast strips griddled with peanut oil. They came out BETTER than I expected, very crispy and accomplished with about 90% less oil than deep frying.

They would have been better with some dippin' sauce and a better spice mix in the flour but this was just a 'test run' and will be improved on in the future!
If you substitute finely ground ramen noodles instead of the flour in your recipe, it is WAY better.

Not kidding, I have done it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/ramen-fried-chicken

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews