JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is how you do it. Don't clean my cup!!!

Brutus Out

Chiefs mug.jpg

Love those Starbucks instant singles! A few years ago, one of the odd lot stores had a big shipment come in of the Christmas blend that were not sold during the holidays, The wife went in and bought out the entire shipment! We have enough to last till rapture! Its a great blend too, almost like the espresso roast, just not as smokey tasting! I'm with Brutus57, Same coffee mug for the last 28 years, and never washed, just knock off the bigger chunks and go!

Best instant I have had is Starbucks. Everything else I have tried all tasted like soy sauce.

I like my coffee like my women......hot, black, and preferably free trade.

I was turned on to the Starbucks instant on a Alaska wilderness float trip. It's all I've used since then but I will try some of the other suggestions given on this thread.....at home.

E

Bleh.
My sister has that stuff on hand because they think it's coffee. If the balloon goes up and there isn't anything else like Bosnia, OK then, we'll settle.

Until then I have a hand-crank ceramic grinder and a Lexan coffee press and a Coleman stove to heat water, filtered out of my sawyer straw. Let's get this circus on the road!
:cool:

Coming to think of it, I should upgrade to a MSR SweetWater Microfilter now that we have the short-range disruption gear squared away.

Always re-evaluate and improve, consider lessons learned with real world testing before it's too late!

Also ya can't really have enough no-doze / stay awake 200mg. caffeine tabs in your kits. Lots of awake and not a lot of wizzin'. :D

That MSR is a really good rig. Get a spare filter for it and your good! Add in a Wisper Light International and you can use just about any fuel you can get your hands on! Bonus it the white gas will last a very long time when used in that stove! I am getting a consistent month off of 12 oz of fuel boiling water three times a day.

Bleh.
My sister has that stuff on hand because they think it's coffee. If the balloon goes up and there isn't anything else like Bosnia, OK then, we'll settle.

Until then I have a hand-crank ceramic grinder and a Lexan coffee press and a Coleman stove to heat water, filtered out of my sawyer straw. Let's get this circus on the road!
:cool:

5pvj1qm.png
I right there with you; hario slim, aeropress & whisperlite

Grabbed a bottle of the medalla de oro instant in a rush this past weekend for a quick overnight trip mt hood & IDK....it was hot...it was brown...sorta coffee like. The charbucks via packs are the best 'real' coffee flavored instant I've had so far.

Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee | Huffington Post

Jacobs is ranked #2 in the link above and gets plenty of good feedback but I haven't tried it yet.

Last Edited:
End the whole dilemma of what coffee to store and drink for the "hard times" by learning how to roast your own.. easy enough, just takes a bit of practice to keep from making it "Charbux". Fry pan on a camp stove is very doable. Buy green in quantity, and package it in high barrier sealed bags, or fthe standard white food buckets with snap on lids. Stored away from heat, sealed from moisture, it keeps for years. I know folks who buy it in 25 lb heat seal bags, keep six on hand at all times, and get another one whenever one gets empty, rotating their stock. Grinder? Find one of the old European average of better quality hand-crank box mills. You will haave some way of heating wate,r and clean water, anyway. French press for groups... some have shatterproof beakers, or some stainless ones are out there, will make it easy and quick to brew coffee far better than most shops serve, even these days in Portland.

Personally, the caffeine does nothing for me at all, so the ONLY reason I ever drink it is because it tastes SO GOOD> If it doesn't taste good, I don't bother to drink it. I've got enough coffee laid by to last me and a bunch of friends ten years..... an old fry pan.... various ways of presenting heat to said fry pan,.. multiple manual brew methods......... a Dutch box grinder from about 1960, which I use for my daily cup anyway... so I know I'll have coffee far better than most shops indefinitely into the future. And, buying the green is a whole lot cheaper than processed freeze dried or ready-roasted packaged for long shelf life, which never works past maybe two months anyway and hardly any commercially available coffee even survives that long. Life after the ship hits the span will be tough enough. Having the exquisite pleasure of great coffee will help offset other miseries. Why not "go for gold"?

I really love the old Perk Pots as well, just a simple system that works! Another is the Greek system, a small espresso pot over heat for a nice and slow brew, not quite to boil so it doesn't have the burned taste! Makes some of the most wickedly strong gogo juice on the planet!

I really love the old Perk Pots as well, just a simple system that works! Another is the Greek system, a small espresso pot over heat for a nice and slow brew, not quite to boil so it doesn't have the burned taste! Makes some of the most wickedly strong gogo juice on the planet!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top