JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I built my first lowers before U-tube existed.:eek:
Figured it out from parts diagrams.o_O I use U-tube all the time now.
How to fix anything from lawn mowers to clothes dryers.;)

These are the same 2 videos I regularly return back to, both are good step by step instructional videos. I just FF to the points where I need a refresher and ignore the rest of the videos. For a first build, following step by step, the long way, can be helpful. The video posted above in another post about the pivot pin is a very helpful one too.

On another note - YouTube's change of plans could possibly cause videos like these to go away at some point - from what I'm hearing, they don't want instructional videos for how to 'build guns' on their site. To be safe, I've been going to various videos like these and using an online converter to download them as a .MP4 file so I can save it on my computer. That way I know I'll always have access to them. I'm doing this with other instructional gun videos, particularly any video I might need down the road.

Last Edited:
These are the same 2 videos I regularly return back to, both are good step by step instructional videos. I just FF to the points where I need a refresher and ignore the rest of the videos. For a first build, following step by step, the long way, can be helpful. The video posted above in another post about the pivot pin is a very helpful one too.

On another note - YouTube's change of plans could possibly cause videos like these to go away at some point - from what I'm hearing, they don't want instructional videos for how to 'build guns' on their site. To be safe, I've been going to various videos like these and using an online converter to download them as a .MP4 file so I can save it on my computer. That way I know I'll always have access to them. I'm doing this with other instructional gun videos, particularly any video I might need down the road.
See the little hole on the lower where the front take down spring go's .
On the bottom picture .just put the spring in and the detent in push it in with a punch then put a needle in the hole it will hold the spring back then put the take down pin in and remove the needle MVIMG_20180424_090733.jpg

Last Edited:
See the little hole on the lower where the front take down spring go's .
On the bottom picture .just put the spring in and the detent in push it in with a punch then put a needle in the hole it will hold the spring back then put the take down pin in and remove the needle
There you go, making us think again. 'effin cheater! :D:D:D

If you're lower don't have the hole you have to use a razor blade to hold it in at the end

My lowers have never had that hole. I've done the razor blade trick too - I find the other method more reliable and less prone to me slipping with the blade and letting the pin fly, which I've done.

I wavered on whether or not to ask the question. Sure am glad I did! Everyone is very helpful and not a single flame for being a noob at this. This sight sure does help me to remember that there are still good people in the world. Thanks all for the info and keep em coming if you have more.

I wavered on whether or not to ask the question. Sure am glad I did! Everyone is very helpful and not a single flame for being a noob at this. This sight sure does help me to remember that there are still good people in the world. Thanks all for the info and keep em coming if you have more.
We all were noobs at one time .
My first AR I bought and proceeded to change everything about it .so I kinda figured it by taking apart a gun and replace part's .then I got a book and watched YouTube videos .
And asked lots of Questions.six guns later .
8 if you count the ones I helped my friends with

the most difficult parts are the front takedown, and the bolt catch roll pin. There are inexpensive Wheeler kits but unless you're gunna build a few, maybe not worth it.
For the bolt catch... I use a regular roll pin punch but wrap both the punch and receiver in tape to protect the finish.

I trim about .20" off both takedown springs. Makes installing the front much easier... If you go to the hardware store and buy a 4-40 tap and a couple 4-40x1/8" set screws...($5 total investment) tap the rear takedown hole, put in the pin, insert detent, cut about 7-8 coils off the spring, and then the set screw holds it in. makes putting the buffer tube on a breeze, and if you want to swap endplates or anything else back there later, you never have to worry about that spring sticking out and causing grief.
Aero lowers come pre tapped.

Respectfully ...

I was taught by California State Guard armorers. Most of the AR15 build videos are wrong. Some are OK. A few do it correctly. After everything has been said and done it might just be easier to find a good gunsmith to build your AR15 pistol.

The way I learned it 40 years ago and the way most learn it today will be different. This does not suggest some ways are better or worse but it does indicate that over time and millions of builds some ways may be better than other ways.

Many ways to install roll pins. Some get tapped in . A few get pressed in. Many tricks installing the front and rear take down pin springs and detents. Like said, after hundreds, installing those tricky dinky parts becomes easy. Muscle memory.

With a precision AR15 rifle build the hardest part is properly torquing up the barrel nut. This requires knowledge. If running OEM irons front and rear with a retro build, indexing the barrel for exact aperture centering is time consuming but doable.

Many ways to properly build an AR15. U-Tube in this instance is NOT your friend. It is what you do not know what you do not know what you do not know that will get you into trouble. Old way. New way. Correct way. Very confusing.

Respectfully. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted M16 committee rebuilds. All long ago and far way. Yikes! :)

Thanks for the input HB. To put some more color around this, the following are some of my goals for this build:

First and foremost is to learn more about the platform. I own an AR-15 and 10, yet I know very little about how they work.

Build an NWFA pistol out of parts exclusively obtained from NWFA members. This site was the inspiration, so why not keep it all in the family, so to speak.

Lastly, I'm the type that needs projects. "Idleness is only the refuge of weak minds" and all that.

So I do appreciate the insight and will be mindful of the pitfalls as I embark and navigate this adventure. Thanks HB.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top