JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A question for those of you who learned how to build an AR Pistol on your own or with limited help:

Whose got the best video(s) to learn from?

I have to believe that someone out there has a good video or series of videos that I can learn from. I ordered my lower last week so I'd like to start studying as soon as possible. I can googlefu with the best of them, but the options are endless. And so much dribble about how this handguard is the greatest and other crap I'm not looking for. Opinion is fine; what I'm looking for is knowledge and direction.

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks all for reading.

I watched youtube videos. I watched probably 5-10 different videos to get different ideas, techniques, etc.

Get blue tape! And have the right tools.
Well worth it to spend a few bucks and get the right tools.

Get a punch with a pin holder, and put blue tape around and area of the lower/upper your hammering/working around.

As mentioned, watch some Youtube videos. Stay away from the hour-plus ones as they are too long and drawn out. Get yourself a set of roll pin punches, a small plastic dead blow hammer, a roll of blue masking tape, an armourer's wrench and a "whoops kit" for your first build. If you must, maybe some thin needle nose pliers for the detents and a razor blade for the front take down pin, although I have built many without either. YMMV.

Those videos make it look so easy. Ha!

I thought ITS tactical has a great instruction set, including written step by step instructions along with the video. The only thing I didn't do was build the upper receiver because I got a great deal on one pre-assembled. I thought building the lower was fairly easy though...

Man, I watched one video, and the guy fcuked his AR up so badly it was a learning experience. I swear, he used a pipe wrench to tighten the barrel nut. And he was pleased with it!
I then watched some videos on "field stripping an AR" with some chick named Bambi. If there was an AR in that video, I cannot remember.
So I built my own.... If you have common sense and know how to wrench on cars, you should be good to go.
Watching Bambi, this is all I could think of:

I approve this AR15 build session timeout for AC/DC and Bambi instructional...

now back to your regularly sch....
nevermind.

:s0022:

As mentioned, watch some Youtube videos. Stay away from the hour-plus ones as they are too long and drawn out. Get yourself a set of roll pin punches, a small plastic dead blow hammer, a roll of blue masking tape, an armourer's wrench and a "whoops kit" for your first build. If you must, maybe some thin needle nose pliers for the detents and a razor blade for the front take down pin, although I have built many without either. YMMV.
Better get two or three oops kits those little spings and detents have a tendency to go flying AND YOU NEVER CAN FIND THEM

Like someone else said, use the right tools for the job. Get a good vice and punches. Mask off the area around the bolt catch where you will be driving in the roll pin. When installing the gas tube on the gas block, use a .750 (or whatever size needed to correspond to the gas block you are using) piece of round stock in the vice and fasten the gas block onto that when driving the pin in. I have assmebled hundreds of lowers. By far, the little trick that has saved me more time and frustration is on this video

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews