JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Not that I am heartless or have no empathy, I have Cancer, regardless of whether the perp had mental issues, one less evil person.
Unless he was a career thug, it is extremely sad that one bad decision on one afternoon rendered everything his parents, siblings, teachers, friends and co-workers ever taught him. I feel esepecially sorry for his mother. She did not carry him 9 months and raise him for 18 years only for him to cause his own death. Clearly, he was thinking of no one but himself, driven by ego, and made the worst loser bet of his short life.

Was that the same guy that attempted to enter an FBI office with a nail gun? Convoluted reports it seems. He had an actual firearm too or he was having a "shootout" with his nail gun?

It wouldn't suprise me in the least if a nail gun was reported by the media as "shots fired" just to fit the narrative. 🤣

Maybe a firearm too, but kinda sad if you can't really be sure what "shots fired" actually means when the media says it, hu!?
Did you read the nail gun article? They are now white profiling, investigating to see if he is from the notorious, internationally known Jan6 mob. The Fuds are probably seizing Donald Trump's cell records to see if he gave the "Go!" command.

That worked so well in Uvalde.
Sadly that was sheer cowardice on display. Several Vets mentioned to me the video of the one screaming and waving his hand around his head as he ran. It was of course the first time he had ever heard a bullet go by him. Anyone who has had it happen knows what I mean. For him it caused him to scream he was hit and run. :(

when did anyone suggest that?
The subtext of the OP is that national media fails to report good self defense shoots. (Likely because of anti-gun sentiment.)

Then you and I discussed how most news has a political component, so I pointed out that not only does national news not report most incidents of even homicides that make the case for gun control.

The reasonable assumption is that individual shootings, good or bad, don't get coverage. Not because of political slant, but because it is uninteresting to most viewers.

The subtext of the OP is that national media fails to report good self defense shoots. (Likely because of anti-gun sentiment.)

Then you and I discussed how most news has a political component, so I pointed out that not only does national news not report most incidents of even homicides that make the case for gun control.

The reasonable assumption is that individual shootings, good or bad, don't get coverage. Not because of political slant, but because it is uninteresting to most viewers.
that didnt answer my question or give me any reason to consider the media isnt biased in publishing shootings. 🤷‍♂️
you lost me.

that didnt answer my question or give me any reason to consider the media isnt biased in publishing shootings. 🤷‍♂️
you lost me.
The media is biased. It just doesn't cover individual shootings to make its claims. Not the OP shooting, not gang shootings. They only cover really dramatic events.

Pointing out the few odd cases that are limited exceptions does not in any way debate the validity of the point. They occur much more frequently and are often never reported on, reported on only locally, and only but rarely make national news. The ones that do, also only do so for a limited time and quickly fall silent with little follow up reporting.

Now, a successful mass shooting and the evils of firearms.... that'll be marched across every news outlet nationwide and bled dry for months on end. Laws will be made and changed in their name. Granted, blood and death "sells", but the effective weight of the anti-2A message goes hand in hand with much more impact than the "good guy with a gun" reporting.

Hardly equivalent by any stretch of the imagination.

Quite definately just trolling again. ~I'm Out, again... Have fun! 🤣
Please don't feed the trolls.
It's a wonder why they are even on this gun forum??? :s0110::s0110::s0110:

The media is biased. It just doesn't cover individual shootings to make its claims. Not the OP shooting, not gang shootings. They only cover really dramatic events.
I think we agree, I think we all do? If by "individual shootings" you mean covering all of them.

To clarify my point, DGUs are a part of the gun control debate that is largely ignored by the media. I dont expect media to cover every single individual shooting but I do expect them to include they do happen. Which they usually dont.
Specifically to "mass shootings" the media is egregiously biased by omission since the media has defined "mass shootings" to include all shootings not just those taken out on society. The OPs story would have been a "mass shooting" if the good guy didnt take action.

I think we agree, I think we all do? If by "individual shootings" you mean covering all of them.

To clarify my point, DGUs are a part of the gun control debate that is largely ignored by the media. I dont expect media to cover every single individual shooting but I do expect them to include they do happen. Which they usually dont.
Specifically to "mass shootings" the media is egregiously biased by omission since the media has defined "mass shootings" to include all shootings not just those taken out on society. The OPs story would have been a "mass shooting" if the good guy didnt take action.
DGUs are a part of the debate, but the majority of them appear to be totally unreported. So reporting on the ones that actually have public records is going to be a conscious act of propaganda.

Despite having networks like Fox that back conservative issues, no one seems to think that covering these events is worthwhile.

Probably because it would make for boring news.

DGUs are a part of the debate, but the majority of them appear to be totally unreported. So reporting on the ones that actually have public records is going to be a conscious act of propaganda.

Despite having networks like Fox that back conservative issues, no one seems to think that covering these events is worthwhile.

Probably because it would make for boring news.
If they are part of the debate then the media has an obligation to include them in the news. I disagree reporting on the verified ones is propaganda, something that happens isnt propaganda its an objective fact. Otherwise I think we might agree on the rest of our comments.

If they are part of the debate then the media has an obligation to include them in the news. I disagree reporting on the verified ones is propaganda, something that happens isnt propaganda its an objective fact. Otherwise I think we might agree on the rest of our comments.
It is propaganda when the only reason to broadcast them is "raise awareness" rather than sharing their individual newsworthiness. Then the news agency is acting as a promoter.

Imagine you live in Germany in the 1930s. What would you call a sudden increase in the number of articles about Jews that commit crimes?

What is fairly honest (though biased if not balanced), is to present a statistic about DGUs or homicides. Or even an opinion piece. Because those are obviously promoting a point of view, instead of flooding the airwaves with some stories instead of other stories.

It is propaganda when the only reason to broadcast them is "raise awareness" rather than sharing their individual newsworthiness. Then the news agency is acting as a promoter.

Imagine you live in Germany in the 1930s. What would you call a sudden increase in the number of articles about Jews that commit crimes?

What is fairly honest (though biased if not balanced), is to present a statistic about DGUs or homicides. Or even an opinion piece. Because those are obviously promoting a point of view, instead of flooding the airwaves with some stories instead of other stories.
Disagree with that. Reporting on actual events that happen isnt propaganda and as for your analogy DGUs are not crimes.... no comparison there. More to your point the media hardly covers DGU statistics. I get they are underreported but even the lowest end estimates really throw the gun control statistics for a loop so its clear they avoid them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask two random members why they can alway take ANY subject and literally go against the grain just to go against the grain. @RX-79G and @monkeybutler, just two random members, how do you retrieve your thoughts and come to the conclusion that any persons other than yourselves are always "somehow" thinking incorrectly. No direct attacks here as that'd be against policy, these are two totally random members who my algorithms selected. If all members here cannot align to protect our guaranteed rights then all will absolutely be lost.
Yep, both are on my ignore list for a reason or two. Refreshing.

Disagree with that. Reporting on actual events that happen isnt propaganda and as for your analogy DGUs are not crimes.... no comparison there. More to your point the media hardly covers DGU statistics. I get they are underreported but even the lowest end estimates really throw the gun control statistics for a loop so its clear they avoid them.
The nightly news is one hour. How many individual DGU or whatever stories do you expect to make it in to that hour, even though they might be uninteresting stories? Back to the model railroad guy - why isn't he getting all the stories he wants?

Conservatives have several dedicated news networks and a load of publications. Why aren't they bringing up DGU news and opinion? (Maybe because it is immaterial, since it hasn't been shown to change anyone's mind?)

The nightly news is one hour. How many individual DGU or whatever stories do you expect to make it in to that hour, even though they might be uninteresting stories?
as many "uninteresting" stories they share about criminal acts with guns.

What a disgusting idea. We wouldn't have concealed carry if everyone was "aligned" in their approach to gun rights.
I cannot believe how some people (or bots in this case) can be so absolutely wrong. Not really worth a response but still trolled one outa me. I thought I was stronger, sorry folks.

Good guy with a gun stories get on the news all the time. The guy who shot the mass shooter at the mall last month was national news.
That guy was only national news for a short time. Does anyone remember the mother who shot Dennis Butler before he could shoot up a children's party within a day or two of the Uvalde shooting? Anyone even read that story? Even Snopes was forced to admit it was mostly ignored. Stories like that don't get the same attention from the press.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads