JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To keep it brief, I see all the time in the classified section posts like "I would like to sell my super-cool 2000, asking $900 firm." Gotta wonder why "asking" firm? Then not a week later "price drop $800 firm." So.... clearly the first price wasn't firm after all. I have a tendency to avoid those posts and would prefer people be more honest about negotiating. Anyone else feel like that?
Firm=not willing to negotiate or entertain offers at this moment in time.

/thread

Didn't read the whole thread but I'd say pricing to begin with is a bigger issue than whether or not they are willing to negotiate and put firm in the price description. Example, there was a m&p shield the other day on here . Just a gen 1 one and they had it priced for $350. That's laughable considering you can get a brand new one for $250 right now. It's the only reason I'm keeping mine. I think I'd have to price it low enough to damn near give it away to sell it so might as well keep it. Either way people should realize it doesnt matter what you paid for the gun, it matters what they are going for now. And chances are if you bought it at sportmans or cabelas you overpaid to begin with.

Didn't read the whole thread but I'd say pricing to begin with is a bigger issue than whether or not they are willing to negotiate and put firm in the price description. Example, there was a m&p shield the other day on here . Just a gen 1 one and they had it priced for $350. That's laughable considering you can get a brand new one for $250 right now. It's the only reason I'm keeping mine. I think I'd have to price it low enough to damn near give it away to sell it so might as well keep it. Either way people should realize it doesnt matter what you paid for the gun, it matters what they are going for now. And chances are if you bought it at sportmans or cabelas you overpaid to begin with.
I have an AR build kit in my closet that has gone down in price considerably since I bought it. I'm not complaining, as I love the proliferation of inexpensive AR parts, but I fully understand and accept that I'll pretty much have to give it away if I want to get rid of it.

It doesn't bother me any, because it never hurts to have a spare AR around for someone in need. ;)

I have an AR build kit in my closet that has gone down in price considerably since I bought it. I'm not complaining, as I love the proliferation of inexpensive AR parts, but I fully understand and accept that I'll pretty much have to give it away if I want to get rid of it.

It doesn't bother me any, because it never hurts to have a spare AR around for someone in need. ;)
The one semiautomatic carbine that seems to maintain, or keep its relative value very flat over the years has to be the entire Hi Point line :rolleyes:

Edit; I mean, one could find them used from $100 to $200; and new for $200-300 depending on caliber (10mm anyone?) And has been that way ever since... whereas ARs went way way down to sub $300 kits from $1,995ish for brand new Colt sporters and $2,000+ for the "pre ban" models in the late 90s

And then there's those callers with a sob story and a request to pay on terms. I tell them I'm not a bank. Then they say they can't use a bank because they have bad credit. Oh really? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I tell them to call someone that loves them because I'm not mommy or daddy going to give them a freebie.

Can't pay me til next week? Well if I still have the ad up, call me back next week. Not saving it for you. Period.

Do you still put a phone number in ads ? I sure don't. .

Firm one week is a different firm 3 weeks or month in the future. The seller starts out a firm price based on what he anticipates the going price will be. After a few weeks he may adjust his price based on responses and realization that the market may be soft on his particular firearm. I see nothing wrong with this mentality at all. Simple supply and demand concept.

One can ask whatever price one wants on any given firearm...and be open to offers or not.
One can even be fickle with the term "firm"....

While there are sales ads out there , that make me chuckle or think "Yeah...good luck with that"...:rolleyes:
Its not my item , nor my ad....So I don't really care about how "firm" a price may or may not be.

Even if interested in the item for sale..it , is simple , for me at least.
I like the item and the price ...so I buy it...
I like the item , make a counter offer and the seller agrees....item bought....
I like the item , make a counter offer , seller says : "No thanks"...I move on....
I don't like or have an interest in the item or price...I move on....
Andy

On sales of non gun items on Craigslist I will add " If you can see this ad it is still available" and then wait for the replies that ask "Do you still have this" or "Is this still available"... Then be prepared to never hear from them again once you answer. I usually start with a decent price and after a while I jack the price up and end up selling for original price or a little more when item sells. People like to feel like they are getting a deal because of their superior negotiating skills.:eek: Better yet, offer it for free and tell responders they just missed it. :p

Last Edited:
Obviously had a friend who told them to ask for more.
Second this.

If I see a really great deal on here that I'm not going to touch, I'll sometimes comment on it being so to try and help the person with the sale. Go back and see they've raised the price $200 after I made the comment makes me look bad and feels crooked.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top