JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again speaking only for myself...
...There needs to be something of interest to buy.

''''Most of the kinds of firearms that l like ...just ain't for sale 'round these parts.

Andy
^^^ Me. I'm a milsurp C&R kinda guy and the iron is getty scarce.

The latest thing in Warshington state is the 10 day waiting period for all firearms purchases. That turns every transaction into a two-stage effort. You can imagine the effect it's having on gun shows,''''
.... New England Firearms simple single shots haven't been made since around 2011, these were $100 guns around year 2000, ten years later, they were $150-$175 guns, new. Now people are paying stupid money for them. There are many other examples.
Kali occupant here and "cooling off" period just piss you off, but we've had it forever. At the Kali shows there is usually a designated 01 FFL on site show the buyer(s) got to his shop. The real screwed up deal is if there's a "delay delivery" on the 4473 by the DOJ. Technically if there is no disposition for the delay "undetermined", it can be released to the buyer by the FFL. FUD got started in the FFL community to presume that the liability of the purchaser's legality posses firearms then fell on the FFL processing the 4473 (which it doesn't). So if a delay occurs many FFLs return to seller.
New England had a cool barrel program where you could add a caliber and they would fit it to your action, $80-$125 per barrel. PAX

Last Edited:
The latest thing in Warshington state is the 10 day waiting period for all firearms purchases. That turns every transaction into a two-stage effort. You can imagine the effect it's having on gun shows, which had mostly gone down the tubes already due to previous legal revisions.

Well, some hunting arms that are popular in eastern states aren't often seen around here.

In general, as time passes, guns that are no longer made become more prized and therefore change hands less often. So, for example, we don't see as many nice Smith & Wesson revolvers come up for sale, not many wartime P.38's, etc. New England Firearms simple single shots haven't been made since around 2011, these were $100 guns around year 2000, ten years later, they were $150-$175 guns, new. Now people are paying stupid money for them. There are many other examples.
Apologies, I was looking to hear from Andy on what he's interested in!

Again speaking only for myself...

Even if Washington didn't have all of its dumbazz laws and PITA restrictions / requirements...
There needs to be something of interest to buy.

Most of the kinds of firearms that l like ...just ain't for sale 'round these parts.
And yes...I do enjoy , shoot and own modern firearms...
However...most of what I like even in modern firearms , just does not come up for sale,
Andy
Keep searching the classifieds. I'm sure a time machine will eventually turn up and then you can go back and finish/repair all the muzzle-loaders you want!

IMG_1991.jpeg

Sorry, just a little levity during a period of true frustration…

;):D

Keep searching the classifieds. I'm sure a time machine will eventually turn up and then you can go back and finish/repair all the muzzle-loaders you want!

View attachment 1807334

While it would be fun to visit the time period of my favorite firearms....
Flush toilets with proper TP...Good whiskey I ain't gotta wonder about....and while I ain't much of a scalp worth taking....Keeping what I have would be nice....I think I'll just keep on playing mountain man on the weekends , rather then doing any of that for real...:D
Andy

View attachment 1807334

When I was actively building my collection, I cruised the many forums I'm on 3 or 4 a day and swooped up a lot. I've mostly quit hunting for stuff but if a piece jumps in front of you at a good buy, what can you don. Within the last couple months a '51 Tuls SKS (Texas) and a Paratrooper SKS (Colorado) fell into my lap for dirt, so deals are still out there but timing is everything. PAX

While it would be fun to visit the time period of my favorite firearms....
Flush toilets with proper TP...Good whiskey I ain't gotta wonder about....and while I ain't much of a scalp worth taking....Keeping what I have would be nice....I think I'll just keep on playing mountain man on the weekends , rather then doing any of that for real...:D
Andy
I'm all for killin' what needs killin', but the notion of scalping and abusing corpses, makes my skin crawl.

I guess that's where good bourbon to numb the pain, and TP to dry the tears would come in handy, lol!

I'm all for killin' what needs killin', but the notion of scalping and abusing corpses, makes my skin crawl.

I guess that's where good bourbon to numb the pain, and TP to dry the tears would come in handy, lol!
I guess it is all what your goals are. If you just need a guy dead that is one thing. But if you need to send a message. . .

Can I just say, for all the problems we have I am fairly happy living in a state of somewhat stable law and order? Yeah it could be better, but it could also be a whole lot worse. . .

I guess it is all what your goals are. If you just need a guy dead that is one thing. But if you need to send a message. . .

Can I just say, for all the problems we have I am fairly happy living in a state of somewhat stable law and order? Yeah it could be better, but it could also be a whole lot worse. . .
Pretty sure "dead" sends a strong enough message, past that you can start down a path that you may not ever recover from.

Pretty sure "dead" sends a strong enough message, past that you can start down a path that you may not ever recover from.
History is full of much stronger messages than just "Dead". Though I do agree with the "path of no recovery" part. That is also pretty evident throughout history.

There is an uptick in WA estate sales and offloading of collections from what I have been seeing.
I'm sure this is true. People with large collections are seeing the handwriting on the wall. Which for them is, money invested in guns is no longer as liquid as it once was.

New England had a cool barrel program where you could add a caliber and they would fit it to your action, $80-$125 per barrel.
The "Accessory Barrel Program." Actually, they were cheaper than $80-$125 per. However. We won't see Henry doing that with their contemporary single shots. For a couple of reasons that I can think of. (1) Why sell a barrel for a fraction of the price of a complete new gun when you can get a buyer to go for the complete new gun in another caliber. (2) Swapping barrels around may go counter to modern liability concerns.

I'm sure this is true. People with large collections are seeing the handwriting on the wall. Which for them is, money invested in guns is no longer as liquid as it once was.

The "Accessory Barrel Program." Actually, they were cheaper than $80-$125 per....
For me, I've never been an investor collector, I just bought what I happen on that I lied. As the years have passed, most they have value. I've only started to move some of the duplicates since 2018-19, and being a Kali occupant are restricted to 5 sales of no more than 50 guns total. In my case they aren't sold on a need money basis.
My single was a .22-250 bull barrel, so the replacement barrel had to fit the forearm. I screwed around too long and missed the boat on a bull barrel in .308 offering. PAX

It doesn't matter what your intentions are with guns or any other personal property you own. What you own is part of your net worth and estate. When a government places arbitrary limitations on the liquidity of your wealth, they are stealing money from you.

Re. the Accessory Barrel Program, below is a scan of their price list as of early 2001. The original Harrington & Richardson firm had a similar program, which I was aware of in the 1960's when I had my first single shot. I never bought one from them during that era but I seem to recall that they didn't require that a frame be sent back to the factory for fitting to the new barrel. Which later was the policy of the follow-on iteration of the enterprise, New England Firearms. I bought several barrels from them under this program. I sent one frame and had it fit for all of the barrels ordered. By good fortune, they would fit the other frames that I possessed at that time.

IMG_20240122_0001.jpg IMG_20240122_0003.jpg

Based on my experiences with these shotguns and rifles, I have drawn my own conclusions. As made by H&R and later NEF, the single shot shotguns were pretty bullet proof (pun intended). Shotguns only need to have "shotgun accuracy." When you start fitting rifle barrels to this frame and forend design, then other issues come into play. Some of the NEF Handi Rifles shoot well, others not so much. Some shoot well the first couple of shots and after that, not so much. My experience is, get the heavy rifle barrel versions if you're gonna buy one. The light weight barrels that I've owned have tended to be whippy and wouldn't hold a zero well. They are no longer around here. But the fat barrels, they tend to shoot well.

Note in the price list above, the 20 ga. Ultra Heavy Slug Barrel. I've seen one of these, it's very hefty for a shotgun barrel. I've never seen any other shotgun barrel that thick.

Yes, there needs to be consideration given for fit of forend relative to barrel used. The forend design and fit are critical to accuracy of these firearms when mounted with a rifle barrel. The Henry design as sold today does not have this limitation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top