JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To keep it brief, I see all the time in the classified section posts like "I would like to sell my super-cool 2000, asking $900 firm." Gotta wonder why "asking" firm? Then not a week later "price drop $800 firm." So.... clearly the first price wasn't firm after all. I have a tendency to avoid those posts and would prefer people be more honest about negotiating. Anyone else feel like that?

To keep it brief, I see all the time in the classified section posts like "I would like to sell my super-cool 2000, asking $900 firm." Gotta wonder why "asking" firm? Then not a week later "price drop $800 firm." So.... clearly the first price wasn't firm after all. I have a tendency to avoid those posts and would prefer people be more honest about negotiating. Anyone else feel like that?
One more item to add to the 'list':

Definition of "firm"
Slow to reply
People who want to sell and buyers want to trade
People who won't drive 20 miles to make a deal
Want to sell complete and then part everything out
People who try and offer less than the price posted
What have I missed?

Gotta wonder why "asking" firm?

To avoid having to deal with lots of lowball offers. They might be willing to take $800 but they start out trying to get $900. If they didn't say "firm" people would be offering $600, $500, "would you trade for my old truck, it's not running but it's an easy fix", etc.

I am going to be putting some items in the classifieds in a week or so.
I am approaching it with a bit of trepidation as I've read quite a few unhappy interactions.
When I place the ads I will price the items at a fair price and in big bold letters state "Price is Firm".
I do that to avoid all of the usual low ball offers that are common.
I am selling things because I can't use them. I am not financing my retirement.
If someone still low balls me I raise the price $25 for that person.
The price will be more than reasonable. I don't have time to play games trying to sell it.

I think people do that to prevent the Jacksonville ffs from coming in offering half price or extremely lowball offers.

Most people that say firm will bend a little, but don't want to get a bunch of offers for pennies on the dollar

I put a lot of just shy of offensive requirements in my for sale adds to purposefully avoid certain buyers.

I also refuse to reply to messages that lowball or obviously did not read my add throughly.

I'm nice about it mostly, but if you can't read then I'm not sure I want your business.

Unfortunately, even with all that said and done you can still get into an agreement with someone and they will still royally screw it up!

Lol.

For the most part, I take it all with a very large grain of salt and try to be as patient and polite as one can be. Those that have dealt with me know.

I guess just chalk it up to the classified ad culture that has developed in this country. Before the interwebs came along, classified ads were in the back of (gasp) newspapers. Ads were priced either by the word or as a bundle (ie- certain amount of words for a set price). So you had to get the most out of your message Ina. Small space. Thus the power words, firm, best offer, etc.
Unfortunately craigslist came along and developed the "craigslist flake". The rest is history.

I guess just chalk it up to the classified ad culture that has developed in this country. Before the interwebs came along, classified ads were in the back of (gasp) newspapers. Ads were priced either by the word or as a bundle (ie- certain amount of words for a set price). So you had to get the most out of your message Ina. Small space. Thus the power words, firm, best offer, etc.
Unfortunately craigslist came along and developed the "craigslist flake". The rest is history.

I bought my first car from a newspaper classified. Seemed like the spot to go. Called the guy, made an appointment and drove off. Easy. Also seen TONS of Craigslist flakes. Learned that if the deal isn't happening right f'ing now, it isn't happening at all.

I've sold a few things in the classifieds. Like most, I price initially at what I hope to get. If it doesn't sell, I lower the price until it does, or until I am no longer willing to sell at the lower price.

Lowball offers don't offend or upset me. I just don't respond.

If a seller says "firm" and then lowers the price, he's a bobo who doesn't understand what "firm" means. I'll avoid this guy, because it casts doubt on the veracity of the entire ad.

It ain't rocket surgery.

P

I don't sell much here. When I decide to sell an item on Craigslist or RV Trader or in local rag and think about a price, I also decide whether to negotiate or not. Then I create an ad in plain English... if willing to negotiate, I put in a starting price and add OBO. If not, I put in what I want and "firm". If a two weeks later, I haven't gotten what I wanted, my "firm" price might be dropped a bit lower. Ya'll say it wasn't firm in the first place, but I'm still not negotiating, I'm looking for new ad views. You want to wait me out for the price drop or not deal with me at all, it's ok with me. But my original intentions were true, not playing games.

I hate lowball offers... ESAD!!

My Craigslist ads all say: "All transactions will be done in person with cash only!" Stopped all those calls from dealers and scammers.

People change their minds over time. We're all human. Most if the time the "firm" is there to ward off extreme low ballers and tire kickers.

Needing an "al dente" classified thread perhaps?

I don't sell much here. When I decide to sell an item on Craigslist or RV Trader or in local rag and think about a price, I also decide whether to negotiate or not. Then I create an ad in plain English... if willing to negotiate, I put in a starting price and add OBO. If not, I put in what I want and "firm". If a two weeks later, I haven't gotten what I wanted, my "firm" price might be dropped a bit lower. Ya'll say it wasn't firm in the first place, but I'm still not negotiating, I'm looking for new ad views. You want to wait me out for the price drop or not deal with me at all, it's ok with me. But my original intentions were true, not playing games.

I hate lowball offers... ESAD!!

My Craigslist ads all say: "All transactions will be done in person with cash only!" Stopped all those calls from dealers and scammers.

And if a friend asked me to lower my price or said hey I'm a little short I would work with him. The things we do for people we like! :D

And if a friend asked me to lower my price or said hey I'm a little short I would work with him. The things we do for people we like! :D

My personal friends get very good deals... sometimes half price if I can afford to do so on the item... not on say a car or a 5th wh trailer. ;) Family is usually given the item under the same conditions. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top