JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you don't want to get stupid offers, put a price with no conditions, then people will be afraid to make an offer because you might except. If you put $500 firm, you will actually get more people trying to lowball you then if you did $500 obo, just my experience.

Do you sell 5th wheels for a living? I'm looking for one actually! :D

Sorry, no.

We sold our 36' McKenzie during a financial downturn years ago. Then we bought a 36' King of the Road. We sold that a few years ago when my health prevented us from snowbirding... we couldn't drive to Quartzsite AZ anymore and needed a smaller unit for local camping. We found a good private deal near Boise for a 28' Cougar but I gotta say the quality sucks after having those others.

PM me if you want me to keep a lookout for a deal for you. :)

I've sold a few things in the classifieds. Like most, I price initially at what I hope to get. If it doesn't sell, I lower the price until it does, or until I am no longer willing to sell at the lower price.

Lowball offers don't offend or upset me. I just don't respond.

If a seller says "firm" and then lowers the price, he's a bobo who doesn't understand what "firm" means. I'll avoid this guy, because it casts doubt on the veracity of the entire ad.

It ain't rocket surgery.

P

I've sold things for family before, and they usually have a price in mind, sometimes too high and I cant convince them of that. In that case I will mark the price firm because I can't negotiate on it. If it doesnt sell in a few weeks I can usually convince them to lower the price.

If you don't want to get stupid offers, put a price with no conditions, then people will be afraid to make an offer because you might except. If you put $500 firm, you will actually get more people trying to lowball you then if you did $500 obo, just my experience.

And then there's those callers with a sob story and a request to pay on terms. I tell them I'm not a bank. Then they say they can't use a bank because they have bad credit. Oh really? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I tell them to call someone that loves them because I'm not mommy or daddy going to give them a freebie.

Can't pay me til next week? Well if I still have the ad up, call me back next week. Not saving it for you. Period.

I look at firm and ask my self is it reasonable?
I see crazy prices, and see average. And rarely do I see a smokin deal,
They are out there, but rare, also free is rare too.

I look at firm and ask my self is it reasonable?
I see crazy prices, and see average. And rarely do I see a smokin deal,
They are out there, but rare, also free is rare too.

Yah, I do too.

My best bud buys stuff all the time. He won't buy at more than 50% of new. I rarely see anything for less than 75% of new. If more than that, I'm gonna take a pass and look elsewhere.

I don't understand crazy prices... am I crazy? o_O

Edit: What amazes me is that I give things to family and they don't appreciate it at all.

One more item to add to the 'list':

Definition of "firm"
Slow to reply
People who want to sell and buyers want to trade
People who won't drive 20 miles to make a deal
Want to sell complete and then part everything out
People who try and offer less than the price posted
What have I missed?

People who read all the ads and get PO'd about some of them and start a thread complaining about the way people write their ads.

Just kidding @MechaNik :D I live in inner NE PDX, so it takes a LOT to get me complaining about this forum! I hardly notice that stuff.

We've all been buyers and sellers with classified. I suppose that the key is not to treat the other party like they are stupid. It's not unreasonable to ask if they will accept a lower price, all they can do is say no, which is their right. If that's the case, respectfully thank them and move on. On the other hand, you have sellers that ask close to new retail pricing for worn out cr@p. Those are the ones I generally don't bother with. If I am going to pay full price, then I will buy new.

Even if my ad says "firm", I don't mind someone asking if I will take lower... who knows, I might be worn down by then or just tired of waiting for a buyer. If not, I will say "No I'm sorry but I'm sticking firm to my price". No offense taken if none is meant.

You forgot "im selling X, a new one costs $300, but my mom said I'm special so after shooting 2K rounds through it, dropping it a few times, and losing the box, I want $500" or the guy who leaves the ad up for 6-12 months because his price is obscenely high, but is offended when you make an offer at market rate. Or the person who overpaid for an AR a few years ago, and thinks they are still worth that much. Never mind you can buy the exact same gun new for 35-50% of their asking price.

I have seen so many adds on here where the firm asking price + transfer fees (assuming the background check will be a wash) is higher than what I would pay at Sportsman's warehouse, Coastal, BiMart etc. Are there people out there that are actually dumb enough to pay higher than retail? Or are these guns being sold under the table to drug dealers and black market re-sellers?

If it is not a good deal I won't waste my time on making an offer... and if it has been up for a month or more I won't even look at the add.

Here's a contrarian opinion: None of these pet peeves matter. Until two people come to terms on price and conditions, both sides of every deal have to be willing to go through the crap of the 50-80% of folks who turn out to be time-wasters. That's the deal.

The seller can ask for any price and any terms at any time and the buyer is "allowed" to ask for anything including trades, lower prices, or terms that were specifically spelled out as no-bueno.

I've changed my mind as a seller and became willing to accept less or make trades even if my listing said firm no trades.

I've offered lower prices on "firm" products and we came to terms.

I complain to myself all the time about how people aren't following my directions but I need to get over myself. This is a free market that shouldn't have whiners.

I think so... check Gunbroker.com, there are always a few used guns that are offered at several $100s over current retail. Presumably they're hoping that somebody gets excited and bids without checking it out.
Watch the shipping too. I almost bid on a gun a few days back but saw shipping was $120.00 ground.

I sometimes include conditions in my ads, as flake insurance. Hate to say it, but there are a whole bunch of flakes here.

Occasionally I'll list an item that I'm selling as a courtesy, at cost. So if I say firm, in Oregon City, hopefully that'll keep the flakes away.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top