JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
From the same kff.org website, another article classifies 18+ year olds as "young adults".

"Latest Federal Data Show That Young People Are More Likely Than Older Adults to Be Experiencing Symptoms of Anxiety or Depression"

The left has been pushing this narrative in the media for a couple weeks now, so l have to remind them that the leading cause of death in the under 18 demographic is in fact abortion.
How do you know that, does someone keep track of how many abortion pills/surgery's are done? I would like to know that, I believe you. I can't stand the quote "my body my choice" phrase. It takes two you know so not just your choice.

From the article:

Not all firearm deaths are a result of violent attacks. In the U.S., in 2020, 30% of child and teen deaths by firearm were ruled suicides, and 5% were unintentional or undetermined accidents. However, the most common type of child and teen firearm death is due to violent assault (65% of all child and teen firearm deaths are assault). .... The spike in 2020 child and teen firearm deaths in the U.S. was primarily driven by an increase in gun assault deaths. The child and teen firearm assault mortality rate reached a high in 2020 with a rate of 3.6 per 100,000, a 39% increase from the year before.

How do you know that, does someone keep track of how many abortion pills/surgery's are done? I would like to know that, I believe you. I can't stand the quote "my body my choice" phrase. It takes two you know so not just your choice.
620k per year by the CDC.

How many abortions are there in the U.S. each year?

An exact answer is hard to come by. The CDC and the Guttmacher Institute each try to measure this, but they use different methods and publish different figures.

The CDC compiles figures voluntarily reported by the central health agencies of the vast majority of states (including separate figures for New York City) and the District of Columbia. Its latest totals do not include figures from California, Maryland or New Hampshire, which did not report data to the CDC. (Read the methodology from the latest CDC report.)

The Guttmacher Institute compiles its figures after contacting every known provider of abortions – clinics, hospitals and physicians' offices – in the country. It uses questionnaires and health department data, and provides estimates for abortion providers that don't respond to its inquiries. Guttmacher's figures are higher than the CDC's in part because it includes data (and in some instances, estimates) from all 50 states. The institute's latest full report, and its methodology, can be found here. While the Guttmacher Institute supports abortion rights, its empirical data on abortions in the U.S. has been widely cited by groups and publications across the political spectrum, including by a number of those that disagree with its positions.

The last year for which the CDC and Guttmacher reported a yearly national total for abortions is 2020, and neither organization reported a large change from the previous year. The CDC says there were 620,327 abortions nationally in 2020 in the District of Columbia and 47 states, a 1.5% decrease from 629,898 in 2019. Guttmacher's national total for 2020 was 930,160, a 1.5% increase from 916,460 in 2019.
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/01/11/what-the-data-says-about-abortion-in-the-u-s-2/

Firearms are now the number one cause of death for children in the United States, but rank no higher than fifth in 11 other large and wealthy countries.

Guns – including accidental deaths, suicides, and homicides – killed 4,357 children (ages 1-19 years old) in the United States in 2020, or roughly 5.6 per 100,000 children.

What do you think the up tic if from? I think it's Mostly suicides and just the tool that they use so a mental health problem maybe. What you guys think?

That 'statistic' includes 18 and 19 year olds.

The 'age of majority' in most every state in the union is 18 y.o.., therefore, 18/19 y.o.s are considered (legally) as adults.

Furthermore, it deserves noting that the number of 18/19 y.o. adults (whose deaths are attributed to the use of firearms) outnumbers the total number of deaths for those aged 0-17 y.o.

So, with having 'to pad the stats' to include 18/19 y.o.s, the claim -- the use of firearms being "The #1 leading cause of death of children" is patently false.

The first thing I was taught in a class on statistics was, "YOU CAN MAKE THEM READ ANY WAY YOU WANT." :s0092:
This is true. But one thing about numbers, they don't lie. These kids, or adults, or whatever you want to call them, died.

Not the first time :s0140:
She's all yours

1682613367306.png

But wouldn't it be better to ask, WHY, than HOW ? :(
Yes. But how can one do that? Every time someone asks those questions they get the (as if programmed by propaganda) responses that you see in this thread.

The OP literally asked this question and was almost immediately eviscerated.

What do you think the up tic if from? I think it's Mostly suicides and just the tool that they use so a mental health problem maybe. What you guys think?
Suicides have certainly seen an uptick. There has been a notable steady rise in suicides rates over the last 20+ years -- upwards of around 30% since the turn of the millenium. More recently, stresses as a result of the response to the pandemic have also likely contributed to the increase.

It's well understood that the primary method of suicide in the U.S. is the use of firearms; with both suffocation and poisoning coming in distant 2nd and 3rd. It's also been observed that the 'success rate' of those that choose to commit suicide by the use of firearm is much higher than those that choose to employ other means. Firearms are an efficient tool to end a life.

That stated...

There's also been a more concerted effort by some in society that have pushed for more reforms in the justice system. There has been a general attitude among this sect that believes that the justice system is unfairly applied, and that certain perceived disadvantaged segments of society have been adversely affected by strict policies that were enacted to effectively incarcerate violent criminals - i.e. minimum mandatory sentencing guidelines/3-strike laws etc. As a result of this move to push towards the desire of rehabilition vs. incarceration, the penalties for violent crimes (and especially petty crime) have become much more lenient in certain locales during recent times. As a result, more and more violent criminals are either given lighter sentences and/or are released earlier for violent crimes that would have in the past assigned longer sentences .

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern that more violent criminals on the streets is going to translate into higher rates of violent crime.

The majority of homicides in this country are committed in densely populated urban areas, and most are perpetrated by a certain demographic of society. Until an honest dialogue can not only be had about the root causes of violence in our society, but also those that are committing the violent crime; conversations about so-called 'gun deaths' and 'gun-violence'(which only assigns blame to the method/tool) are merely deflections from addressing the underlying factors involved in the uptick of violent crime.

Since the early 90's l have been using the FBI's annual "Uniform Crime Report" for my data. Its a good read but the media rarely mentions it because it goes against their narrative. You can also do an image search for mass shooters, usually you can find a collage of the previous years mass shooters and that also gives the main stream media narrative a big slap in the face.

Since the early 90's l have been using the FBI's annual "Uniform Crime Report" for my data. Its a good read but the media rarely mentions it because it goes against their narrative. You can also do an image search for mass shooters, usually you can find a collage of the previous years mass shooters and that also gives the main stream media narrative a big slap in the face.
How is doing an image search of mass shooters a slap in the face to the media?

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads