JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just read a report regarding the number of children that died from gunfire over the last three years. The numbers were high but they are skewed, see below. They fail to mention how the deaths occurred. Please note that only 3.5% were accidental. There is more but I think you get the picture.

The report, "Trends and Disparities in Firearm Deaths Among Children," points to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and
The majority of reported deaths in 2021, referred to as "pediatric firearm deaths" in the study, were male (84.8%) and/or ages 15 to 19 (82.6%). Further, 49.9% were Black and 64.3% died by homicide.

Nearly a third of the 2021 pediatric firearm deaths were caused by suicide (29.9%) and 3.5% were caused by unintentional injury.

Ok... What's the skew? The report seems to be stating how many children died via firearm over a 3 year period, that's it. Whether they were shot in the head intentionally, accidentally or by their own hand is irrelevant.

Ok... What's the skew? The report seems to be stating how many children died via firearm over a 3 year period, that's it. Whether they were shot in the head intentionally, accidentally or by their own hand is irrelevant.
Is suicide gun violence? A 18-19 year old is classified as pediatric. They don't mention gang bangers and only 3.5 percent of deaths were accidental. Sure they are all dead but the piece I read gave no mention to any of this. Do you think a person wouldn't commit suicide if there were no guns?

HERE. Nice that it is the full study not behind a $35 paywall. Credit to them.

RESULTS:
In 2021, firearms continued to be the leading cause of death among US children. From 2018 to 2021, there was a 41.6% increase in the firearm death rate. In 2021, among children who died by firearms, 84.8% were male, 49.9% were Black, 82.6% were aged 15 to 19 years, and 64.3% died by homicide. Black children accounted for 67.3% of firearm homicides, with a death rate increase of 1.8 from 2020 to 2021. White children accounted for 78.4% of firearm suicides. From 2020 to 2021, the suicide rate increased among Black and white children, yet decreased among American Indian or Alaskan Native children. Geographically, there were worsening clusters of firearm death rates in Southern states and increasing rates in Midwestern states from 2018 to 2021. Across the United States, higher poverty levels correlated with higher firearm death rates (R = 0.76, P < .001).

Is suicide gun violence? A 18-19 year old is classified as pediatric. They don't mention gang bangers and only 3.5 percent of deaths were accidental. Sure they are all dead but the piece I read gave no mention to any of this. Do you think a person wouldn't commit suicide if there were no guns?
I didn't say "gun violence" and I don't know if your study said that, either. I said dead via firearm. Suicide by gun is absolutely a death via a firearm. I don't give a damn how many green, blue or orange jelly beans are in a bag if the study is only counting total beans.

And yes, I do believe a suicidal person will still be suicidal, guns or not. What's your point in asking that?

I get what your intent is and I'm generally on your side. However, by reading your original post, not the actual study, it seems to me that it's counting 1 2 3 4 etc and only counting if a gun was the main ticket puncher off this earth

I didn't say "gun violence" and I don't know if your study said that, either. I said dead via firearm. Suicide by gun is absolutely a death via a firearm. I don't give a damn how many green, blue or orange jelly beans are in a bag if the study is only counting total beans.

And yes, I do believe a suicidal person will still be suicidal, guns or not. What's your point in asking that?

I get what your intent is and I'm generally on your side. However, by reading your original post, not the actual study, it seems to me that it's counting 1 2 3 4 etc and only counting if a gun was the main ticket puncher off this earth
1, 2, 3, 4... Number isn't high enough, let's include 18 and 19 yo's.

A 42% increase in children "killed by guns" but 64% were homicides and 30% were suicides.

How much longer do we have to put up with these statistical lies?
Screenshot_20230822_125142_Firefox.jpg

HERE. Nice that it is the full study not behind a $35 paywall. Credit to them.

RESULTS:
In 2021, firearms continued to be the leading cause of death among US children. From 2018 to 2021, there was a 41.6% increase in the firearm death rate. In 2021, among children who died by firearms, 84.8% were male, 49.9% were Black, 82.6% were aged 15 to 19 years, and 64.3% died by homicide. Black children accounted for 67.3% of firearm homicides, with a death rate increase of 1.8 from 2020 to 2021. White children accounted for 78.4% of firearm suicides. From 2020 to 2021, the suicide rate increased among Black and white children, yet decreased among American Indian or Alaskan Native children. Geographically, there were worsening clusters of firearm death rates in Southern states and increasing rates in Midwestern states from 2018 to 2021. Across the United States, higher poverty levels correlated with higher firearm death rates (R = 0.76, P < .001).
The number of homicide/suicide deaths among young adults is disturbing. And when did we begin referring to 18-19 y.o. young adults as "children"?

I do not believe or trust any numbers that NBC comes up with anymore.
So reading the above 16 posts I never saw any numbers other than percentages, so saying something was up 41% means nothing. It all depends upon the underlaying data. We all know that the categorizing of certain types of death also matters. I don't care what race or color someone is, it really doesn't matter except by those who hope/continue to try and divide us.

I had a friend who committed suicide. I found out that he had attempted to do it before, but stopped. This time he did it in such a manner that no one could stop him nor could he save himself once started. I believe that if someone is suicidal they will try again until the deed is done. The day before he & his wife were discussing moving out to the lake and a new house. Next day he was dead.

My point is that suicide is not an accidental thing. It is deliberate. if guns are all locked up, there is always hanging, poison or a car crash. Guns are not at fault in that. But then honesty in the facts have never been important to some people in our society.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews