JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here in Klamath Falls I've lost my top two transfer FFLs; one quit doing transfers because he "didn't have room to store guns during the BGC" and the other quit doing transfers and reduced their hours to three days a week.
My third back-up shop is the stereotypical gun shop owner: he has an opinion and anyone who disagrees is an idiot. He doesn't acknowledge the "three-day release"; my last pistol transfer through him took two months.
Until things change I think I'm done doing retail purchases or transfers.
Do the pawn shops in town do them?

A lot of comments here nailed it. I've noticed that several online retailers are offering especially sweet deals right now, and I take that to mean business is slow. From what I've read:

- Tax returns were lower than usual;
- Extra stimulus money and programs are winding down;
- Consumer debt has again reached a new all-time high ($17 trillion as of last week according to various news sources) and consumers are tapping-out;
- Increasing uncertainty about job security; people worried about layoffs;
- Increasing awareness that having no savings, isn't smart.*
- Inflation is eating up more disposable income;
- In Oregon at least, at lot of people moved forward their purchases of guns & ammo in late 2022.

My wife and I are doing well financially, but even so we've been more disciplined & deliberate this year with our spending. Nowadays before I buy anything I ask myself, "Is this a need or a want?" Just as important I answer that question honestly, and then buy (or not) accordingly. We don't need to budget too carefully, but I dunno...lately I just haven't felt like spending money I don't absolutely have to spend.

* Y'all have probably heard something like, "60% of U.S. households couldn't meet a $1,000 emergency expense without borrowing money or going into debt." It completely blows my mind that so many people are that strapped for money. I remember back in high school, in the 1980's, we had to take a Personal Finance class in 11th grade. I have no idea why that's no longer 'a thing' in today's schools, because it was probably the most useful class I ever took! They taught us, "Here's how much money you can save over time if you don't blow it all." Useful advice, but today it seems like a lot of people never got that message.

I wanted to buy a Springfield Armory P35 and a new Colt Python but I won't until they get 114 gone and forgotten. Actually have cut all my spending back as inflation is driving prices too high. Only way to get prices down is quit buying but then businesses fail. Catch 22.
That is the only gun left remaining on my "want" list.

I'd buy one too if I could actually find one for sale at MSRP! Seems like Springfield Armory made, like, 15 of 'em. They've been out for a couple years now and are still unobtanium (at or below MSRP). I know I could buy one today on Gunbroker, but I don't want it bad enough to pay GB prices.

A lot of comments here nailed it. I've noticed that several online retailers are offering especially sweet deals right now, and I take that to mean business is slow. From what I've read:

- Tax returns were lower than usual;
- Extra stimulus money and programs are winding down;
- Consumer debt has again reached a new all-time high ($17 trillion as of last week according to various news sources) and consumers are tapping-out;
- Increasing uncertainty about job security; people worried about layoffs;
- Increasing awareness that having no savings, isn't smart.*
- Inflation is eating up more disposable income;
- In Oregon at least, at lot of people moved forward their purchases of guns & ammo in late 2022.

My wife and I are doing well financially, but even so we've been more disciplined & deliberate this year with our spending. Nowadays before I buy anything I ask myself, "Is this a need or a want?" Just as important I answer that question honestly, and then buy (or not) accordingly. We don't need to budget too carefully, but I dunno...lately I just haven't felt like spending money I don't absolutely have to spend.

* Y'all have probably heard something like, "60% of U.S. households couldn't meet a $1,000 emergency expense without borrowing money or going into debt." It completely blows my mind that so many people are that strapped for money. I remember back in high school, in the 1980's, we had to take a Personal Finance class in 11th grade. I have no idea why that's no longer 'a thing' in today's schools, because it was probably the most useful class I ever took! They taught us, "Here's how much money you can save over time if you don't blow it all." Useful advice, but today it seems like a lot of people never got that message.
Median household income is around $80k, which applies to two income earners in general. Median in my small-town is closer to $60k.

I'd buy one too if I could actually find one for sale at MSRP! Seems like Springfield Armory made, like, 15 of 'em. They've been out for a couple years now and are still unobtanium (at or below MSRP). I know I could buy one today on Gunbroker, but I don't want it bad enough to pay GB prices.
I tend to wait until all the bugs are worked out of a new model, usually takes a couple of production runs. P35 had extractor problems at first and Python had problems too. I can wait.

There are some interesting firearms people would buy if they had a chance to handle them at an LGS near home. I would like to reiterate that the "allocation" system most distributors use to mete out firearms for preferred dealers is corrupt. The distributors spin it as a matter of fairness, when in reality it's just another anti-competitive payola scheme.

There are some interesting firearms people would buy if they had a chance to handle them at an LGS near home. I would like to reiterate that the "allocation" system most distributors use to mete out firearms for preferred dealers is corrupt. The distributors spin it as a matter of fairness, when in reality it's just another anti-competitive payola scheme.
People mainly buy guns because they saw operator youtube "running" one and they were fresh out of magic beans.

Been doing a lot of pondering lately. Standing on the beach and looking seaward, one notices the tides. It seems to be a cycle of life - breathing, sleeping, waking. So it is with gun sales. Can anyone remember the Y2K panic buying? There is much uncertainty - by design these days. Just as demand for firearms reaches an all-time high, and in response, so do unjust laws. Blame is shifted from human being to inanimate objects. This, of course, is not a rational response, but since when have power-seekers even acted rationally?

There are simply too many folks in power who strongly desire to 1) control others and 2) remain in power. They are activists and gravitate toward positions of power and control by their very nature. Guns are part of that desire for control, but taxes, regulations, restrictions, limitations are all part of the power-seeking game. And, when one desires power and possesses the ability to cement that power, the result is natural - and never good.

Far too many voters are gullible and elect persons who promise to "do something" and the only "something" which can help is less control of inanimate objects and more control of lawbreakers. Sadly, the pendulum is swinging in the direction of nonsense. It will swing back but before doing so, it gradually comes to a stop, then slowly begins it travel back toward making some sense. This leaves us in the position of gritting our teeth toward the end of its swing.

As others have already covered in this thread a lot of panic buying has already come and gone, but I'm sure there will be another one (for Oregon at least with our legislative session) so don't worry FFL's.

What has sealed it for me with my LGS is they will be upping their transfer fee starting in June...if legislative/voting won't put FFL's out, them upping their transfer fees to discourage not using their in-house orders will certainly tank it. I am sorry but online deals will always beat whatever your physical store has to offer.
Their decision and I respect personal choice but don't come crying when nobodies buying with a 20% mark up just to ship in a gun if they choose not to pay full MAP at your store location. For the record FFL's have had groundbreaking sales the last 3 years.

On the flip side I found out why a certain LGS will not accept orders from PSA, a lot of SMRT people were ordering from PSA and having non-FFL transfer items (magazines/optics/uppers etc.) sent to them which absolutely flooded their storage thus they had to decline accepting online orders from them.

Yeah, this also directly effects PPT sales here on this site which have slowed down I'd imagine on account of delays/FFL transfer fees going up consistently. Private sales want full MSRP+FFL fee = hard no from me tbh.

Lastly, yes... I have taken my biz elsewhere that's more economically viable for me (thanks options!)

Last Edited:
Do you guys think that Oregon folks are going to jump through the permit hoops to buy guns? Just the permit and training will cost as much as some guns.
I think people who are unaware will do the permit. They will go to a gun store and learn about the permit process for the first time.

In contrast, those that have been following events will realize that the permit is a state gun registry. And once you sign up on that registry they can add any additional regulations they want every year and the permit owner will have to comply with them to continue to own the registered gun. Going to police station every year for a background check, home inspection of your storage facilities, ammo restrictions, and more are all possibilities down the road.

I think the permit process is the most dangerous part of the WA and OR gun laws (except for outright bans like in WA). One would be basically signing up for life long regulations that you must comply with to continue to own that gun.

I wanted to buy a Springfield Armory P35 and a new Colt Python but I won't until they get 114 gone and forgotten. Actually have cut all my spending back as inflation is driving prices too high. Only way to get prices down is quit buying but then businesses fail. Catch 22.

That's actually the last gun I bought. Sportsman's has 2 available (if the website is correct) if you're alright with buying from them, but they have raised the price to $769 since I bought mine.

Do the pawn shops in town do them?
I haven't heard of anywhere that does the three day release (if you meant transfers, at least one of them does, or at least used to).

Last Edited:
was in construction biz for 25+ years- feast or famine is name of game. retired now-72 My hobby wood has turned into a small biz. It has slowed considerably. No free money and inflation has taken a huge bite out of most of middle class incomes. Economy is slowing- this is what raising interest is about. And it is working. My experience in biz- adapt to survive or fail.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top