JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just thought of another one some of us may not be familiar with - 6x47.
It was a wildcat based on a .222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm.
Very popular with the target shooters. The advent of the PPC cartridges killed it.
It may have been loaded by some factory, at some time, but I only remember it as a wildcat.

...does that count?

How about the .45 Winchester Magnum? It had some potential but was just too big for most Guns and most people.

Don't forget the 9 mm Win Mag. Both cartridges were designed for the Wildey pistols, in hopes of avoiding the biggest failure of the original Automag, no factory ammo. Ammo was available, but I'm not sure the guns ever got produced in any viable quantities, don't really know why, but I suspect they were just too expensive and temperamental. Too bad, it seemed like a cool idea at the time.

I am a fan of the 338-06 A square and the 35 whelen.and to a lesser extent the 9.3x62
To me these are not popular any longer based on the number of new rifles in those calibers. Throw in the 358 winchester. These are all but dead except as custom rifles. Sad.

I'm feeling like the world has passed me by. I have rifles chambered for 218 Bee, 308 Norma Mag., 257 Roberts, 7mm Mauser, plus the extremely popular 45-90 and 38-55 in my safe. Apparently the only "modern" cartridges I shoot are my 375 H&H, 458 Win Mag., and my 25-06. My first 25-06 was pre Remington, so it was actually a wildcat at the time. Looks like I better start updating my arsenal.

Late to the party, but I love my .38 supers. A bare bones Rock Island, a Kimber target and a Les Baer. An absolutely sweet shooting cartridge in a 1911 that can be loaded mild, or really hot. Ammo? very available from a number of sources. If it were chambered in a Sig 226, sign me up.:)

.257 Roberts and .250-3000 Savage come to mind.
( not really post -war..but modern to a black powder shooter...:D )
Both were very popular in the day , got lots of press and actually worked well....but now just seem to have faded away...at least around here.

That could be something to think about...
Some cartridges may have been more popular at a "regional" level as opposed to popular at a "national" level...
Andy
Andy I think more modern hotter loadings ie: 243Win. 22-250 .223 just pushed them aside, there was nothing wrong with them.
Gabby

How about an almost one off. the Winchester .348 only chambered in the Model 71 Winchester lever action and now days you can find some of the Model 1885 replica single shots chambered in it.

444 Marlin when I was a kid around 1968 My dad and his buddies were all smitten with it and now NOTHING.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 444 still popular in Alaska as a guides gun??
Gabby

Last Edited:
Well all my choices have been named already but,
.357 SIG-no matter what it does look cool;) I have 2 or 3 boxes of brass for it still.
.357 Maximum-I came into 1k of brass/loaded rounds from an estate sale awhile back. The more I learn about this the more I like it and feel it missed it's calling. It would be a great lever gun cartridge but no commerical offerings. I know several guys who are tinkering with converting lever guns but no one that I know of has got it 100% yet. It's does however make a great chambering for an AR IMHO.
.45GAP-I think this was Glock trying to be different thinking the popularity of their line would carry the cartridge-not.
.264 Win Mag-While it's out of favor I've never had a problem getting factory rounds for it. I have a very old FN Browning chambered in this and love it for Deer/Antelope/'yotes and just plain range time.

This is a great thread. It has sparked many fond memories of days at the range and hunting trips gone by..

450 Marlin. Ammo is available but not at most gun shops. I have an 1895 guide gun chambered in it but it's the only one I've ever seen. I don't know why it didn't catch on as it's really just a 45/70 on steroids.

It gets a chuckle out of me every time I torch one off.:D

Honestly, I love giving the .40SW guys crap. Frankly, I shot one not long ago and did quite well with it. But I still wouldn't buy one. :p

I have two. The second one, a worked over Glock 22 is a really nice gun. My complete dislike for it has nothing to do with caliber. I own it because it was the only way my grandson would get one of his other grand dad's guns. I don't shoot this gun.
The first one is a Shield. Was pressured into buying it. (long story)
You won't get me to part with that gun. It's a tool that I can use in a defensive situation, almost subconsciously, and deliver the goods more accurately than I can with any other pistol except a 1911. It stunned me the first time I shot it.

I don't see the .40 going anywhere.

I've always thought the banter over the .40 was funny. On the one hand it's criticized because it's "short and wimpy".

On the other, it's falling out of favor because it's too snappy compared to the 9mm (too powerful).

I'm confused. :)

I've always thought the banter over the .40 was funny. On the one hand it's criticized because it's "short and wimpy".

On the other, it's falling out of favor because it's too snappy compared to the 9mm (too powerful).

I'm confused. :)
.45 ACP isn't snappy.

Everyone knows you need to conceal carry two .500 S&Ws though.

There are no failed cartridges. There are only self centered heartless shooters who neglect and ignore them. Please join me and the other members of People for the Ethical Shooting of Things and Stuff (PESTS) and adopt a stray cartridge today. PESTS will keep reminding you until you comply.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews