JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about the cartridges that would not die?
30/06
30/30
38 special
9mm (kept on life support by cheap shooters,and bureaucrats)
45acp
38 super (still used widely in competition and outside the US)
40 S&w ( still a superior cartridge to the 9&45 )
22lr

There are no failed cartridges. There are only self centered heartless shooters who neglect and ignore them. Please join me and the other members of People for the Ethical Shooting of Things and Stuff (PESTS) and adopt a stray cartridge today. PESTS will keep reminding you until you comply.

I like it, when are the meetings?

I am a fan of the 338-06 A square and the 35 whelen.and to a lesser extent the 9.3x62
To me these are not popular any longer based on the number of new rifles in those calibers. Throw in the 358 winchester. These are all but dead except as custom rifles. Sad.
Speaking of which, another one that you never hear about anymore is the 8mm-06.
A very popular wildcat at one time, it was considered superior to the .35 Whelen by some because the bigger shoulder allowed for more sure head spacing.
I remember running into one of my dad's ol' cronies shortly after he had passed in the mid 90's and that guy still thought highly of that round.

Dean

Andy I think more modern hotter loadings ie: 243Win. 22-250 .223 just pushed them aside, there was nothing wrong with them.
Gabby
I know the problem with the .250 Savage (aka .250-3000 when loaded with the 87 gr. bullet) was the same that befell the 6mm Remington....too slow a twist rate.
When the twist is sped up to the .243's 1-10", the .250 Savage is every bit as effective, and, if I'm not mistaken, it enjoys a greater range of bullet weights.
What I find sad is that Savage themselves turned their back on their own family of cartridges many years ago.
I would think the least they could do is still offer the chambering, even if there isn't much interest right now. o_O

Dean

Last Edited:
A very popular wildcat at one time, it was considered superior to the .35 Whelen by some because the bigger shoulder allowed for more sure head spacing.
I remember running into one of my dad's ol' cronies shortly after he had passed in the mid 90's and that guy still thought highly of that round.

Dean
To my understanding the 8mm-06 was never a commercial round. I had an 8mm-06 AI that I gave a freind. It was a hard hitting round that was fairly accurate.

I believe that some of the "failed" cartridges listed can be better described as either "obsolete" or "niche", or maybe even just "overhyped".

For example, the .257 Roberts was a well regarded and successful round in its time. It's not really failed so much as made obsolete by newer rounds like the .25-06.

Some rounds, especially certain proprietary cartridges, are niche cartridges, never really expected to be widely circulated.

Others, such as possibly the .40 S&W, are merely overhyped. You really can't call the .40 "failed", because it's actually been quite successful. In recent times that wild success has been moderated significantly, but a heck of a lot of people still use it. It's was originally hyped as the be-all to end-all, and while I still think it's a great round, it was overhyped.

Dean

To my understanding the 8mm-06 was never a commercial round. I had an 8mm-06 AI that I gave a freind. It was a hard hitting round that was fairly accurate.

8mm-06 was created as an economical way to get ammo for the Mauser you brought home from WWII, since 8mm ammo was not to be had on this side of the pond. It's popularity faded as 8mm ammo become available and sporterized Mausers became less popular. Jeannie's hunting rifle is a Mauser in 8mm-06AI she bought from the B-25 navigator who brought it back from Norway in 1945. He re-chambered it first in 8mm-06 and then later upgraded to the AI. Excellent shooting rifle, but she has yet to shoot anything edible with it.

Grand Mother had a beautiful Winchester in .32/40 that was awesome on deer, and she was deadly with it, put a ton of food on the table with that little rifle over the 60 odd years she hunted, preferring it to more modern rifles and chambering. She even cast her own bullets and loaded her own ammo at the loading bench! Most of the old B.P. cartridge's are gone, or very hard to come by, and there was nothing ever wrong with any of them! They simply got passed over by time and modern smokeless chamberings!:(

225 Winchester.
Another huge mistake made in 64. Winchester tried to replace the 220 Swift with their own branded cartridge, that really was a waste of time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top