JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I find sad is that Savage themselves turned their back on their own family of cartridges many years ago.

Savage themselves changed hands many moons ago and turned their backs on firearms previously manufactured by the company with their name! My brother in law bought a used Savage in 300 Win Mag that had a tooling chip in the chamber that brass would extrude into each time the rifle was fired, requiring a sharp rap to the handle to get the bolt to open. Called "Savage", told them the serial number and they said "Sorry, we didn't make it. No warranty from us."

...amazing.
I got similar runaround from H&R in the early 90's, when I was trying to get my 20 gauge repaired.
They couldn't recognize the gun because it wasn't H&R1871....the operator finally gave in after some lengthy discussion and gave me the number to a gunsmith down in Alabama that was H&R's official repair guy for their pre-bankruptcy guns.
...like that? "Oh-Fish-UL", but they can't recognize the gun. :s0002:

Shocked and dismayed that no one seems to remember that all-time fav, the .451 Detonics Mag! A true NW love child it was the answer to a question no one asked.
Haliburton3.jpg

I did have a old box in good condition of Savage 30-30, but gave it to a friend who bought a nice 99 in 30-30. They were made for each other!

Don't know why there's so much hate for the 204 Ruger. Buddy has one, works near Reno and spends several hours a week shooting sage rats, exploding them at hundreds of yards.

No doubt it does, probably similar to a 40 grain blitzking .224.

I don't know, I just like simple, cheap, and readily available. I know, I'm wierd.

Don't get me wrong, I like a better mousetrap as much as the next guy, those are just super rare when it comes new cartridges IMO.

Attempting to avoid premature judgment, I must note that the .25 Niedner and .22 Varminter were wildcats for decades before they were legitimized as .25-06 and .22-250 and became successful. So, reports of the untimely deaths of several new cartridges may be slightly exaggerated. Let some shooter somewhere begin cleaning up matches with the perfect storm combo in one of these obscure or clumsily-named cartridges and suddenly the whole world will be clamoring for it.

I would add anything ending in Weatherby.

I do own a .300 WSM in a Model Seven. Not really sure why. :confused:

E

I don't include Weatherby cartridges because they created a brand and a whole lineup of rifles made to contain those magnums. Roy Weatherby started with his lineup if cartridges claiming laser beam trajectory and instant death via hyper velocity. He started with Mauser actions and developed the Mark V. The brand exists because of his proprietary cartridges.

Well, since I don't think anyone has mentioned the .270 Redding I guess I will.
Think .270X51mm or a .308 necked down to .270.

If there had been a short action craze back then like there has been lately, it may have stood a chance.

Well, since I don't think anyone has mentioned the .270 Redding I guess I will.
Think .270X51mm or a .308 necked down to .270.

If there had been a short action craze back then like there has been lately, it may have stood a chance.
The biggest problem with that cartridge is that you could only use it if you were....sitting.....on the dock of the bay......I'll leave now....:confused::s0166:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top