JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy you mentioned Simon Kenton Have you read the book "The Frontiersmen"?
I think by Eckert, it follows another "Simon" Butler who ran away after he mistakenly thought he had killed a man.
His true story is a real revelation of the toughness of the true frontiersmen!
I used to have the book but lost or lent it which is much the same thing sometimes.
Lend it you lost it! :eek:
It was written like a novel rather than a boring history.
Gabby ,
Yes I have ...it is sitting on a shelf in my library as we speak...Its a excellent read...:D
Andy

Andy any mention of Masterson Station around the 1700's in Lexington.
ie Daniel Boone. How far west were the Eastern Buffalo. Ohio?
I'll look up "Masterson Station"...
You can find mention of the Eastern Buffalo in :
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Virginia
Indiana
Some good History books about that area and times :
Seedtime on the Cumberland Harriette Simpson Arnow
Notes on the Settelement and Indian Wars of the Western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from the Year 1763-1783 Joseph Doddridge
The Life of Daniel Boone Lyman Draper
Simon Kenton , His life and Times Edith Kenton
The Border Wars of the Upper Ohio Valley William Hintzen

Sorry for the thread drift....
Andy

It's a great read, cover to cover.
My dad picked it up when he was part of a "book-of-the-month club" in the early 60's.
Still have it.
To this day, I have the utmost respect for Archie Miller.

Dean

Mastersons are my relatives. On the first Kentucky census in 1802 it would be my greatx4 grandfather. One relation was in charge of the fort in western Ohio rivers Miss. and Missouri? The Derby started about 1802 in Lexington.
Masterson Station is about 6 miles west NW out of Lexington. Historic roadside plaque noting their farm of about 600 ac.
Everybody had family somewhere in the early 1800's.

Gabby ,
Yes I have ...it is sitting on a shelf in my library as we speak...Its a excellent read...:D
Andy
It turns out he wrote several follow up stories, I just ordered one from our local library. I know we get off on a tangent now and then but as I see it there just isn't another way to carry on a conversation. My apologies to the OP, I just hope you get some good out of a ramble to the side, I'll try to control my self in the future.:oops:
I'll let you all know if it's as good as The Frontiersmen.
Gabby
Wilderness empire : a narrative
by Eckert, Allan W.

Niedner (not neidner) made 25 Krag wildcats also. I had a 25/06 made on a Mauser 1898. I bought a set of Belding and Mull tools and they were marked 25 Neidner. They were for the 25 Krag wildcat.
Identifying A Niedner:

A. O. Niedner
Dowagiac, Mich.
This two line stamp was the first stamp used at Dowagiac and was used continuously from 1920-1929. After 1929 Niedner continued to use this stamp on things he made for himself. He used this stamp until his death in 1954.

Year and estimated numbers used
1920........................100-125
1921........................126-192
1922 .......................193-280
1923........................281-384
1924........................385-480
1925........................481-523
1926........................524-565
1927........................566-608
1928........................609-650
1929...…..................651-741

Niedner Rifle Corp.
Dowagiac, Mich.

This two line stamp was used on flat surfaces such as scope mounts.

"Niedner Rifle Corporation, Dowagiac, Mich."

This roll stamp was used to mark barrels. It was applied with the barrel between centers on the lathe and used from 1930-1940.

Year and estimated numbers used
1930..........................745-835
1931..........................836-927
1932........................928-1020
1933......................1021-1113
1934..................... 1114-1205
1935......................1206-1298
1936......................1299-1391
1937......................1392-1474
1938......................1475-1557
1939......................1558-1640
1940......................1641-1744

As you can see the highest A.O. Niedner number is 741 and the lowest Niedner Rifle Corporation. number is 745, so I need to find number 742, 743 and 744. Continuing his practice from Malden, Niedner marked the bottom of the barrel with the barrel number starting with number 100. I have only seen a couple of barrels with the date as well as the number from Dowagiac. It was a practice in Dowagiac that the man doing the rifling would also put his name or initial next to the barrel number such as 1348 CB. CB was Carlyn W. Behrman, a very skilled worker who made barrels from 1933 To 1939. Other identification marks seen are OB for Orville Behrman and E. R. Stahl for Elmer Stahl. Every barrel number was entered into a ledger that Mr. Niedner kept. Where this ledger is today I have no idea. Do you?

Cheap .45ACP shooting sissy here, thank you very much.;)

As far as .40, you can't deny its not as popular as it was 15-20 years ago, but like I said, its certainly not going anywhere.

And I have a general disdain for "compromise" calibers in general. .40, all the AR 15 calibers besides 5.56, etc were just invented to solve nonexistent problems and separate suckers from their money:)
Now, now..... I carried the .40 (S&W411) as a duty weapon for a time... a useful caliber which eclipses the 9mm for duty use, but admittedly the 10mm is a lot more powerful. It has since been retired to "trunk gun" duty... I carried the .45 for a time, but the .40 just carried more rounds of similar power. 😉

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews