JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My personal favorite. 300 Holland & Holland, if ever there was a magnum worthy of the name, that was it, for many years, it was King of all for pure speed and energy in a .30 cal bullet! I have heard of blown out A.I. type chambering that can take it further then .300 win mag, but honestly, what's the point!

Did someone say .458 Win Mag? :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

My personal favorite. 300 Holland & Holland, if ever there was a magnum worthy of the name, that was it, for many years, it was King of all for pure speed and energy in a .30 cal bullet! I have heard of blown out A.I. type chambering that can take it further then .300 win mag, but honestly, what's the point!

The 300 Weatherby is essentially an improved 300 H&H with a radiused shoulder. Thats why it requires a full magnum length action like the H&H would.

Ones I suspect will go by the wayside:
375 Ruger / 338 RCM / 300 RCM / 22 Nosler / 26 & 28 Nosler / not sure about the 6.5 PRC
Not sure which will fade to oblivion first: 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel
Always wanted to find a 6.5 Carcano, but never could.
I don't expect the 6.5 Creedmoor will keep up its momentum.
Surprised the 7 RUM has stayed alive as long as it has, the barrel cooking round that it is.

More Favorites. 404 Jeffries, .458 Winchester
.500 Jeffries .50 Alaskan
404 Jeffries : the parent to many excellent cartridges.

Um, yeah! I watch all Matt's vids, sport his merch here and there and yeah the 5.7 is lame for penetration!

Bigger and heavier are more better for penetration! :D it can be short and fat, or long and thin, but it needs to be fast and stiff, like with a steel core or made from solid copper. The 5.7 seems cool on paper, till you compare ballistics with other rounds. "Government only" AP rounds may be better, but why ice pick, when you can pierce armor AND cause major damage with better rounds like 5.56x45, 7.62x51, .50BMG... :D

.280 British is a post WWII intermediate cartridge that failed because the U.S didn't want a rifle for it and Churchil wanted NATO to have a common round so 7.62 NATO killed it.

5.7 (what's are they trying to prove? :D).
5.7 isn't popular because of the laws we have. The ammo it was meant for is banned due to us not being allowed to have armor penetrating ammo for pistols.

Today I stopped by a small sporting goods store that has been around since, according to the wife of the owner, 1946. I remember going there as a youth for fishing supplies, and with my father and older brother for firearm-related items back in the 1980s. My reason for visiting was largely nostalgia, and also for .44 Special ammo, but I mainly wanted to see the old place.

Anyway, whilst there, I spied not one, but two boxes of .307 Winchester ammunition on the shelf. No, that isn't a type-o, such a cartridge exists. I believe it is still factory loaded, but it never caught on. I've read online that it is popular in Spain because it has .308-like ballistics, but isn't a "military caliber", which is prohibito in that country.

During the drive down the 101 I was thinking of various failed cartridges in the modern era. There are certainly old cartridges, good and bad, that have faded away, but I'm thinking of relatively modern (post-war) introductions.

I can think of a number, but I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion: what "new" cartridges do you recall making a splash and then going away? Were they good, bad, or meh? Why do you think they failed?

.41 Magnum
.30 RAR

Today I stopped by a small sporting goods store that has been around since, according to the wife of the owner, 1946. I remember going there as a youth for fishing supplies, and with my father and older brother for firearm-related items back in the 1980s. My reason for visiting was largely nostalgia, and also for .44 Special ammo, but I mainly wanted to see the old place.

Anyway, whilst there, I spied not one, but two boxes of .307 Winchester ammunition on the shelf. No, that isn't a type-o, such a cartridge exists. I believe it is still factory loaded, but it never caught on. I've read online that it is popular in Spain because it has .308-like ballistics, but isn't a "military caliber", which is prohibito in that country.

During the drive down the 101 I was thinking of various failed cartridges in the modern era. There are certainly old cartridges, good and bad, that have faded away, but I'm thinking of relatively modern (post-war) introductions.

I can think of a number, but I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion: what "new" cartridges do you recall making a splash and then going away? Were they good, bad, or meh? Why do you think they failed?
Like you say, there's a bunch.
Two that come to mind, almost instantly, are .225 Winchester and .256 Winchester.
I think the .225 was just a good cartridge with no specific application for which to attach itself, as there were others that could do the same job and just happened to be, more, on the tip of everyone's tongue.
I only remember the .256 being chambered for the Ruger Hawkeye, which probably explains why that one died, too.
I remember when the .307 came out. It and the .356 were introduced together and the .375 came just a few months later, I believe.
It was the late 70's. People still believed you could take something that worked, and worked well, and actually improve on it....these days, we just replace it with a piece of technology and all of a sudden its the new, hip thing. :rolleyes:

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads