JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Often ignored is the characteristic of bullets normally thought of as "varmint bullets" (when they impact game at lesser velocities) to act like big game bullets.
Ive read that the farther away the shot the softer you want the bullet, but i would think you would still want an expanding bullet as most varmint bullets are designed to fragment as in disintegrate...

Most yes, but we are talking about a 55gr. .224 diameter bullet with sucky sectional density. This type of projectile relies on speed for terminal effect and at 2400 (most likely less]) you really don't have much oomph left.
A 55 grain TTSX at 2400 fps impact velocity, when properly placed, will kill any deer walking.

The OP said his 22-250 is a 1-14 twist so the 55 might be on the edge of stability.

P

When properly placed says it all. This projectile at this velocity has such a tiny window that has to be hit that in reality the vast majority of us will fail.

Hence the large amount of failures bullets like these have in the field.

Hence the large number if states that ban this type of round for big game.

Hence the manufacturers recommending against their use for big game.

Hence most loading manuals cautioning against their use.

Hence ... okay you get the idea of where I sit on this subject.

Professional hunters used to take elephant with the 7x57mm ... and a good number of wannabes got stomped doing the same. Just because it's in the realm of possibility does not mean it should be done.

I agree that twist rate played a role here as well. Poor cartridge choice, coupled with poor bullet choice, coupled with poor rifle twist rate makes success a pretty long shot!

Long shot .... get it .... see what I did there ... oh I slay myself some days! šŸ˜

Cheers

Ive read of too many hunters that swear by 22 centerfires on deer. Ive also heard from one old timer who grew up hunting elk in Montana with a 22-250 and swore by it.
I have no doubt its a deer slayer, with the right bullet. Its not one id recommend though to anyone who has to ask,... is the key.

Law enforcement uses the 9Ɨ19 out of pistols for deer-sized animals.
Probably about 400fpe.
I quit caring about ft/lbs a looooong time ago.

For me it's an appropriate bullet with an impact velocity inside its performance window.

Anyone who disagrees is asking for a shanking from a sharpened flat blade screwdriver, just like back in the yard.

P

I quit caring about ft/lbs a looooong time ago.

For me it's an appropriate bullet with an impact velocity inside its performance window.

Anyone who disagrees is asking for a shanking from a sharpened flat blade screwdriver, just like back in the yard.

P
How many ft/lbs can you get behind that shiv?

In retrospect regarding varmint bullets behaving as a big game bullet when impacting at "reduced" velocities (either as a result of modest starting velocity or extended range), I should have qualified by saying "some" varmint bullets (As I have seen with the 55gr Ballistic Tip). I've experienced the same with .257 caliber cartridges.

I would never expect a thin-jacketed .224 varmint bullet such as a TNT, or such to accomplish the same record. The Ballistic Tips retained the old Nosler ("Zipedo") characteristic of their varmint bullets, in that they reserve the "caboose" portion of the bullet to a solid copper mass. That little disk (probably with a healthy shard of jacket attached) needles right through the ribcage of an Antelope or Muley.

my understanding, varmit-frangible, medium game-fragmenting, big game-penetrating..... roadkill, glock 9mm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top