JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shot placement counts, should only take one shot. If you're not totally sure it's a good shot, pass on it. Don't want to injure an animal. My only single shot rifle is a S&W 500 Magnum, it better do it's job on the first shot. Gotta know the limitations of the rounds as well, I wouldn't take one any further than 100-125 yards, it's range is much longer but that's the distance where I'm comfortable at.

Define single shot...

If truly a single shot, your limitation is slower follow-up shots. So, you likely need to make that one/first shot count.

Technically a bolt action might be viewed as a single shot - but has a mechanism or magazine to draw reloads from in a faster manner.

(Note: If your friends show up dressed like Rambo with full auto or even semi-auto, you might think about walking away :p )

I would think your friends might be more impressed, or not, by your shooting mastery, or lack thereof, rather than the inherent single shot nature of the tool.

Yes.

CVA Scout. 300BO.

Break open design makes for a very compact rifle. Light weight and inexpensive.

We hunt out of a boat (frequently going ashore to hunt promising areas), or very dense forest areas.

I really appreciate the lightweight and compact nature of the CVA Scout in those environments.

Only potential disadvantage is (obviously) it being a single shot. Quick follow up shots are problematic. The answer here (equally obvious) is training. You will need to commit to getting out and training with the rifle. But is that so bad? I look at it as a worthwhile endeavor in itself.

Best regards.

WMB

What percentage of your game kills needed a rapid second or third shot?

Of those, would you have been more careful if you were using a single shot?

Bruce

Isn't a single shot the quickest to load? Might be a plus for road type "hunting". The Chinese figured out gunpowder, but it took them a couple hundred years to use it in hand held projectile launchers. Hunting with very primitive firearms took another couple hundred years, and if I recall correctly Europeans began that fine and proud tradition.

I have found single shot rifle hunters to generally be better sportsman and hunters. The hunters in our group who utilize a single shot rifle have more consistently made ethical shots and quick kills compared to those using bolt actions or semi-autos.

I hunt with a few.... :D

Not pictured...
I really like grouse and small game hunting with my 1941 dated Remington 510 rifle.

I enjoy owning , shooting and hunting with what I like...
And shoot well with.

What others own , use and like ...is also fine...for them.
All firearms are fun...I just prefer older , simple and classic firearms.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have been into single shots my whole life my first was a Remington Targetmaster, shared with my 7 brothers. we got a browning Automatic 22 for Christmas one year, shared of course. that 22 semiouto devoured ammo at an incredible rate.so i gravitated towards the single shot. i bought a thompson center contender in the mid eightys, shot handgun silouette for several years.wore it out,sent it back to T/C' to be rebuilt. i got a brand new frame back from t/c at no charge. i bought a Ruger #1 in the early ninetys and hunted with that for 10 years. i got a lot of criticism over that from my family, i did not care in the least. my dad told my nephew that the reason i didn't get a deer one year was because i had that singleshot rifle. never mind that i never saw a legal buck that year. so yes people will bad mouth single shots. i got plenty of pushback for archery hunting too but it didn't stop me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top