JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep! You have indeed discovered a fun way to practice! As the others said, shooting is excellent practice for shooting! :) I have a nearly 40 year old RWS .177 springer. It's deadly accurate for pests, and the trigger is so good that only about three of my sporters are better. Great practice rifle!
Started my son and grandson on the air guns too. I'm between air pistols now, I can't remember how many I've shot to death. Problem is I want a good trigger and sights on an accurate gun, but I'm too cheap to lay out the cash. ;)
Hell when I shoot the "air guns of today" compared with what we had when I was a kid it's night and day. We got in enough trouble with those old Crossmans and Daisy guns. If we had access to what you can get now we would have really been in trouble. I know they had some back then that were like the nice ones today but then they were so expensive. No one I knew actually had one. Used to see them in some magazines and dream of them. :confused:

Hell when I shoot the "air guns of today" compared with what we had when I was a kid it's night and day. We got in enough trouble with those old Crossmans and Daisy guns. If we had access to what you can get now we would have really been in trouble. I know they had some back then that were like the nice ones today but then they were so expensive. No one I knew actually had one. Used to see them in some magazines and dream of them. :confused:

Yeah, I dreamt a long time before I saved enough to buy the RWS. I ordered it from an ad in, "Survival Guide" magazine, where I had been drooling over them for years! Before that it was pump up Benjamins and Crossmans. My friends and I loaded the Benjamins with Grape Nuts cereal, muzzle loader style and played hide and seek and buttshoot in the huge old house I grew up in. Dumb as a box of rocks! :D

So here's a little Irish fairy tale for you all to tell your kids when you've tucked them in at night....

'Uair amháin ar am mhair siad go sona sásta riamh tar éis.'

'Once upon a time they lived happily ever after'.

tac

So here's a little Irish fairy tale for you all to tell your kids when you've tucked them in at night....

'Uair amháin ar am mhair siad go sona sásta riamh tar éis.'

'Once upon a time they lived happily ever after'.

tac
I can't believe that's an Irish fairy tale. Where's the whisky? o_O

:p

So I know I'm supposed to dry fire to become a better shooter, but it's so freakin' boring. So I've taken up shooting my air pistols right in my office. I've got an Umarex Colt 1911 A1 and a Crosman 1733, both .177. I've got a bullet trap on the other side of the office. Do-All Bullet Box : Cabela's This is SO much more fun than dry firing.

Sure, the trigger isn't quite the same as a real gun, but it feels like I'm building the same muscle memory.

Anyone else do this too?

Scott
I've found that dry firing is very helpful and it's something you can do indoors in the winter, but Hell yes, it's boring! I used to place a penny on the barrel flat of my Ruger GP100 .357 and got to where I could pull the trigger in both single and dbl action without it falling off. In the Spring, when I was able to make it to the range, I was amazed how much smoother and more accurate I was.

Obviously it's still no substitute for time behind a real firearm, especially he one you use/carry, but I have found this extremely useful for training others, helping find bad form/habits during lessons, and personally for both finishing personal bad habits and just good practice.
Can't say enough good about it.
Haven't tried the AR version, but I have one of the pistols and practice/ play with it regularly.
Only drawback, it's the price of a cheap firearm. I think maybe military and instructors can get a discount if you're interested.
The OP I believe is an NRA instructor which is what reminded me of that.

SIRT Training Pistols - Next Level Training

Obviously it's still no substitute for time behind a real firearm, especially he one you use/carry, but I have found this extremely useful for training others, helping find bad form/habits during lessons, and personally for both finishing personal bad habits and just good practice.
Haven't tried the AR version, but I have one of the pistols and practice/ play with it regularly.
Only drawback, it's the price of a cheap firearm. I think maybe military and instructors can get a discount if you're interested.

Combining the SIRT pistol with the LASR system is a great way to train. LASR will score your shots and time everything. Two options are the software loaded on your computer or a free standing pad based system. LASR: Laser Activated Shot Reporter

I do have the AR bolt and it works great but it only works with a single stage trigger.

Not inexpensive to get set up but SIRT does have sales periodically and offers discounts to various groups. I got mine after a hand surgery to help with "rehab." Too bad my insurance didn't cover it!

I have a couple BB type blowback types to run around with, but honestly, it's not all that great of a simulation for me.

I did, in a fit of consumer impulse buying, bought most of the modules of the Laserlyte system. Not plugging them commercially, but have any number of targets put up around the garage that I can practice entries and shots. Also have the unit that presents a shoot/no shoot exercise. (Didn't buy the can targets which apparently flip when you hit them) And I switch up the locations of targets to keep from drilling one particular entry scenario.

Can't say it's perfect. It's a full size Glock frame and I am not running a Glock. But holster draws, muscle memory shots, and such are an improvement over nothing. I did buy the unit with removable laser which is advertised to be able to be used in gun barrels of one's weapon(s), though haven't done much with that. Having to recock the auto every time takes away some of the realism. And I suppose you could put it in a revolver and have a bit of a match there.

Anyway... that's the route I went and though expensive, works for me at the moment.

So I know I'm supposed to dry fire to become a better shooter, but it's so freakin' boring. So I've taken up shooting my air pistols right in my office. I've got an Umarex Colt 1911 A1 and a Crosman 1733, both .177. I've got a bullet trap on the other side of the office. Do-All Bullet Box : Cabela's This is SO much more fun than dry firing.

Sure, the trigger isn't quite the same as a real gun, but it feels like I'm building the same muscle memory.

Anyone else do this too?

Scott

I've thought about SIRT pistols, but I'm a cheapskate, and pellet guns are pretty cheap. And I must admit, it's nice seeing a ragged hole after a round of 8 shots. Even if it is only 12 feet away.

...I did, in a fit of consumer impulse buying, bought most of the modules of the Laserlyte system. Not plugging them commercially, but have any number of targets put up around the garage that I can practice entries and shots. Also have the unit that presents a shoot/no shoot exercise. (Didn't buy the can targets which apparently flip when you hit them) And I switch up the locations of targets to keep from drilling one particular entry scenario.
Can't say it's perfect. It's a full size Glock frame and I am not running a Glock. But holster draws, muscle memory shots, and such are an improvement over nothing. I did buy the unit with removable laser which is advertised to be able to be used in gun barrels of one's weapon(s), though haven't done much with that. Having to recock the auto every time takes away some of the realism. And I suppose you could put it in a revolver and have a bit of a match there.
Anyway... that's the route I went and though expensive, works for me at the moment.
LaserLyte? I checked out their website. I might have to try that. I assume that clamp on lasers are activated by the vibration of the firing pin. Clever.

LaserLyte? I checked out their website. I might have to try that. I assume that clamp on lasers are activated by the vibration of the firing pin. Clever.

I went with the trainer cartridge in 9mm so I can move it between guns easily. They have several calibers. That way I can train with the guns I use. I read reports that the cartridges were more reliable because they are firing pin activated, not relying on sound.

Anyone else do this too?

Scott
I have glock 22 real gun I also have a green gas airsoft gun that is exactly like my real one even has Mag's that you can change just like real one look into airsoft guns there are some that are exactly like real one even when you shoot it the slide work 's just no recoil or hardly any recoil

I have glock 22 real gun I also have a green gas airsoft gun that is exactly like my real one even has Mag's that you can change just like real one look into airsoft guns there are some that are exactly like real one even when you shoot it the slide work 's just no recoil or hardly any recoil
Just don't shoot your eye out lol and don't shoot your TV DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW THAT HEHEH

The red on top is real gun the other is airsoft gun

IMAG0719.jpg IMAG0718.jpg IMAG0721.jpg

Anyone else do this too?

Scott
It depends on the power plant. With CO2 or PCP airguns it is fine because it is just releasing air or gas. With gas pistons and spring pistons you don't want to because it will slam into the end of the cylinder with more force because it doesn't have a pellet that creates resistance.

It depends on the power plant. With CO2 or PCP airguns it is fine because it is just releasing air or gas. With gas pistons and spring pistons you don't want to because it will slam into the end of the cylinder with more force because it doesn't have a pellet that creates resistance.
With a pellet gun, I don't dry fire. I go nuts and load it with pellets and throw lead downrange. I punch holes in paper. I slay zombies. I'm badass!!! (hence the bullet trap)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top