JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@hegonus --To most males, being able to defend themselves and their spouse and family is an essential part of their masculinity. I, a female, consider being able to protect myself and those I care about or innocent others is essential to my concept of myself as a competent and responsible adult.

It sounds like you are planning to defer to your wife as to whether your son will be raised to be a man/competent adult or not. Bad idea. Your son may turn out to be uninterested in guns or SD. But you should not allow your wife to indoctrinate him against guns, let alone forbid you to introduce him to guns when he is old enough. No point in making a big deal about the kid following your interests now when he is two. He may wanna spend his time learning ballet instead of shooting for all you know. Let him decide for himself when old enough and responsible enough. If you establish a pattern of solo camping and hiking in part so you can shoot, and your wife wants to come along, let her come sometimes with the understanding that shooting is always involved, and you will teach her to shoot. Start her on a .22 rifle and handgun. With a little luck, and choice of a full size .22 pistol and a .22 rifleq1, she may enjoy shooting.

For starters I suggest that you start going on solo camping trips off in the woods to somewhere you can shoot. Tell her that is in lieu of the family moving to somewhere closer to a range or somewhere you can easily visit once or twice per week to shoot. Then your playing laser games with a gun indoors will be no big deal, and a way of saving a trip to the woods. And when the kid is old enough to learn to shoot, you ask him if he would like to come with.

A man cannot actually protect his wife adequately unless by teaching her to shoot. Not unless they are always together . She is much more likely to be attacked when he is absent than when he is with her.
Great insight to learn, Since My wife and I start to live in States 2020, Maybe Still "Gun" is scary thing for her. She's even get jumpy when I try to cut a tomato with kitchen knife while talking and waving it...(not dangerous way, safely far enough even from myself or anyone)

Hi, newbie here.

So here is my situation.

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon
Far far away from out door range
My wife is kind of an anti gun advocate.

And 2yr old boy with me, my wife really doesn't like me to show him gun related things.

But I still want to practice for my shooting skills. You know, I just love to shoot. And I can protect my family If I need to.

I have a hellcat pro to work with and would like to practice draw from holster and shoot, and fast shooting just like self defense situation without wrecking slide.

Usually at night I am try to practice quietly without big sound. So cool fire trainer is off from the deal.. I wrecked the slide with laser ammo and my wife start to ask what am I doing out at night in the living room.

Any good ideas?? Please help this poor guy.
A link to a review for some at home dry fire options fyi:

A link to a review for some at home dry fire options fyi:

Thank you! I read this before I post this thread. I was not sure I should stick with laser or SIRT pistol which looks more quiet.

So I placed my situation to everyone, looks like I did count all the option I could have.

Thank you! I read this before I post this thread. I was not sure I should stick with laser or SIRT pistol which looks more quiet.

So I placed my situation to everyone, looks like I did count all the option I could have.
Except the importance of you requiring your wife to accept and at less tolerate your interest in guns and accept your introducing firearms to your son in due course if he is interested.Your marriage probably hangs in the balance over this issue.

I know my wife and her family for so long even before puberty as I remember. She's on-board with everything I do from playing with a band in my early days, flying "model" gas powered planes and para-foil. When it comes to guns, she know's about it but I never physically showed her until one time she saw me cleaning the rifle. I'm not saying there is something wrong with it but pretty much being here for a short time and few people that I talked to knows that I'm not really a gun guy. But I think in this day and age and especially whats happening today, it is a must so I can be prepared to protect my family and home. I guess you will need to do what you need to do but for Christ's sake, try not to put any hole in your wall by going into a really range with good facilities. The newer ones have a VR and a practice that recoils "almost" similar to the real thing. Anyways best of luck and be safe.

Last Edited:
BarrelBlok is a GREAT and INEXPENSIVE product specifically designed for dry fire practice.

$15 per caliber.

(Given recent controversy over a similar post about a company doing serialization services - I will note that BarrelBlok is NOT a contributing sponsor to NWFA. Though, I don't really think this disclaimer is necessary. 😉)

I have BarrelBloks in 9mm, 40 S&W, 380 ACP and 45 ACP. They work in any pistol.

Visible block in the chamber. Mag insert allows for racking the slide with mag inserted (yes, racking a slide is loud) WITHOUT slide locking back on an empty mag.

Try the 9mm. If you don't like it, you're only out $15.

Cheers.

Hello,

Wolf Creek public outdoor range is very close to Hillsboro. Also, I suggest you stop by MK Tactical and ask Michael what outdoor spots he uses for his classes (support our local gun stores).

Also, you can split your practice into press-out and target acquisition, and dry fire. This allows you to spend zero dollars and get in good training until range days.

On the family situation, go watch NutnFancy's YouTube series called Children of the Gun. It's over 10 yrs. Old now but true as ever.

Good luck!

The most important option you need is some live fire practice. Dont forget about that part, dry fire practice is good, but not the end solution.

Huge gratitude for everyone!!

Maybe I should get divorce..haha

Maybe I will just tell her I need some training to prevent myself get into woods

Cool fire trainer or SIRT Gun PP for practice

Thanks to my military back ground I caught myself when I made a mistake.

Any opinion for SIRT Guns??
One thing that works well. Higher end air soft or cO2 pistols. They make a LOT of them now. Find one real close to size and feel and use that. You can practice in the home and also in low light. ANY kind of trigger time will improve your results when you get to the range.

Be patient with the spousal unit but don't deviate from your beliefs. If she is a keeper she will come around. Disclaimer: I have no direct experience in this vein as my wife probably owned as many guns as I when we hooked up. I have however seen friends go through the same situation as op.

Barrel block is a very cheap effective way of dry fire training I use the crap out of mine, Dry fire mags also add to the experience, blue guns, mantis has some great interactive trainers, cool fire kits seem cool but expensive and probably unreliable.

Your best bet is to sell your wife on the idea of couples training. Get some popcorn and rent Tremors for a couples night.
tremors.png

Some thoughts on the matter... Hope it helps, and best of luck on the situation!

One thing to consider is a lot of folks who are anti-gun hold those beliefs because guns are foreign to them. Ignorance breeds intolerance, and often it isn't intentional on their part. Relationships are complicated, so what works for one person might not work for another. If I were in your position I would be calm, rational, and patient with your wife, and not make assumptions about her beliefs or intentions. You married her for a reason, and one has to assume you love each other, so don't go throwing in the towel needlessly. This is likely something that a little patience and communication will solve.

I would first take the time to reflect on my own beliefs and make sure I am able to clearly articulate them in an organized and logical manner. It does you no good to try to talk about things if you haven't thought them through yourself.

I would try having a conversation with her about it. Ask why she feels the way she does, and listen to what she says. There may be something in her past that has influenced her point of view, such as witnessing a violent encounter or losing a close friend to a gun-related incident. Maybe she just doesn't like the idea of violence, doesn't see the need for guns in her life, and hasn't thought about personal protection in more than a cursory manner. Whatever the answer is, take the time to listen - it is the respectful thing to do, and it will better help you plan how to approach the disagreement.

I would acknowledge her point of view and thank her for sharing it. I would then share your beliefs and perspective, why they are important, and what it means to you. The goal is not to start an argument or tell her she's wrong, but to help her understand a different perspective than her own. I would clearly state your needs related to gun ownership to ensure she understands the full scope of exercising that right:
You need to be able to store them securely but have ready access to them in case of emergency.
You need to be able to carry them, because a gun at home doesn't do you or your family much good when you aren't home.
You need to train with them regularly to ensure you can use them with skill when necessary.
You need to shoot them regularly, and clean and maintain them.

I would acknowledge that your perspectives are different, ask what would make her more comfortable about the situation, and be open to reasonable accomodations without compromising your core beliefs. Any accomodations must be rational, and not impair your ability to defend yourself.

For example, she may be concerned about her child having access to guns, so a compromise may be to keep all guns in a gun safe when not being carried (no leaving guns on the workbench or in the back of the closet). With small kids in the house this is a reasonable ask, so you could agree to it and get a quick-access safe for the nightstand so that the gun can be both secure from the child and quickly accessed when needed. An example of an irrational compromise would be keeping mags unloaded and ammo stored separately from the mags and/or weapon, as that would render the gun useless in an emergency.

It is unlikely that your wife will change her mind right away. It will probably take several years of being around you and your guns to get used to it. That means you need to set a good example of what a responsible gun owner is so that she can observe through your life together that gun ownership is normal and can be done safely. If she's a rational human being, she'll probably come around and see the value of it as long as you do your part. If you start now, by the time your kid is old enough to learn she might have had a change of perspective.

One other thing is I wouldn't try to teach her about guns yourself - instead offer to pay for her to take a class from a reputable firearm instructor, preferably one that specializes in teaching female shooters. That will ensure she gets information about guns in a structured manner from someone who teaches for a living, and she will be more receptive to what they say than what you do, even if you say the same things exactly the same way.

I echo the statements regarding both BarrelBlok (you can get them on Amazon) and the Mantis X10 system (also available from Amazon). The Mantis X10 will allow both dry/live fire evaluation and recommendations. Plus the app (1 for pistol, 1 for shotgun and 1 for archery) will give you drills to practice. It uses a very small motion sensor that attaches to the rail. It shows where your shot lands and breaks down individual hold, trigger and recoil movements and grades it all. Both highly recommended!

+1 to snapcaps and laser cartridges. Get some cheap $10 laser-activated light up mini targets too, and you can add some challenge by placing them around the room.

I'd get a few dedicated training magazines and mark them with blue or orange paint, never to see live ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top