JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi!

I'd like to do more dry-fire practice, and have been using a Mantis-X for this. BUT I just sold my only DA/SA pistol, which means that I'd have to rack the slide each time between shots to use what I have now.

I'm thinking of using an airsoft with blowback for practice and am wondering if any of you do this.

If so - how important is it to use a clone of my 'real' gun?

I ask because the Sig P365 airsoft gets not-great reviews, the Canik looks great but has absurd shipping costs ($50+) everywhere I find it. Those are the two I'm most interested in training with. Just want to use it with my Mantis - so I don't care how accurate it is.

The Elite Force/Umarex Glock gets great reviews. But I don't own any Glocks.

Any thoughts or wisdom you can share here?

Thanks - much appreciated!

But I don't own any Glocks.
This here is your real problem! No person should be without a Glock! :s0155:

Just kidding you! :D

I dry fire my guns all the time but, use dummy rounds so the firing pin isn't just hitting nothing. So far, never had any issues. YMMV

Thanks! They DO make a trainer set-up for Caniks... but since I already have a Mantis I'd like to go cheaper if I can.

I suppose I -could- just sell the Mantis toward the purchase of a Coolfire trainer...

Hmmmm....

Again, not sure if available for the p365, but another dryfire aid I use and like is the dryfiremag. It should work with the mantis x. Having recently transitioned to p320s after a decade of glocks, I feel that for dry fire you can just keep mashing the sig trigger without reset, and get most of the benefit of dry fire, depending on what skill you are working on.

I asked the people at dryfriremag and they -said- they're planning to make a magazine for the p365, but I don't know when.

BUT - given the popularity of the p365, it's probably a safe bet that someone will make SOMETHING...

So... (sorry, dragging you into my convoluted thought process here) maybe I get an airsoft version and when it breaks in a year the dryfiremag should actually be a thing.

That's encouraging - thanks!
I'm out to the range (sunny day!) but will stop by Extreme Velocity (airsoft dealer in Salem) to see what they have.

Really appreciate your help!

I asked the people at dryfriremag and they -said- they're planning to make a magazine for the p365, but I don't know when.

BUT - given the popularity of the p365, it's probably a safe bet that someone will make SOMETHING...

So... (sorry, dragging you into my convoluted thought process here) maybe I get an airsoft version and when it breaks in a year the dryfiremag should actually be a thing.
Don't waste you money on an Airsoft for this purpose. You'd be better off with these...ST Action Pro 9mm Orange Safety Trainer Dummy Rounds

I will be in Salem this weekend, if you would like...PM me your number and we'll hook up, I can give you some pointers.

If you decide to use another pistol for training purposes, one of the most important consideration is the grip angle. If it's different than your primary pistol you will be building bad habits.
Just my $0.02

put a red-dot on an air pistol and setup a target box. practice all day for a couple bucks. about the same as a "real" gun, minus the BANG!

which is actually kinda handy when you're in the mood at 3am. :)

320XF-9-BXR3-RXP-WEB-RIGHT-HERO.jpg

I'd like to shoot faster, and the biggest problem I encounter is finding my red-dot again after each shot.
I'd recommend more live fire range time if your goal is faster follow-up shots.

I use a .22lr (G44) and an Umarex air soft version of my G19 w/optic. These were handy with last years ammo prices. Both are less expensive training for drawing/presenting and holstering. However, while trigger pull on all three is similar, neither the air soft or .22 have much recoil.

If you are losing your dot/sight picture when firing, it sounds like your grip and recoil management needs attention. IMHO, that really is only improved with good live fire practice. Spend some money on a shot timer. That really helped me track my speed gains over time (shooting log too).

If working on draw speed and sight/dot acquisition, then dummy rounds are a good (cheap) way to go. I'd suggest doing one-and-one drills with dummy rounds.

If wanting to run around the house and shoot projectiles @ 3am, an airsoft is quiet fun. Just note that an air soft at close range will shoot through cardboard and dent/divot drywall and crack picture frame glass.

Good luck.

Grip
Grip pressure
Presentation
Trigger management

Train in dry fire to get each portion done correctly to a sub conscious level.
Use live fire to test proficiency.
Live fire will train the brain to track the dot at high speeds.

Coolfire or airsoft will help with that.
.22 with dot is also a great option.

Hi!

I'd like to do more dry-fire practice,

I'm thinking of using an airsoft with blowback for practice and am wondering if any of you do this.

If so - how important is it to use a clone of my 'real' gun?
The trigger is an important part of a gun that you learn about through dry fire practice. I doubt your Airsoft will help.
Practice with live ammo is hard to substitute for as learning recoil and sight reacquisition skills are mission difficult without live ammo.

Sounds like you have rationalized another gun purchase. Congratulations. Step one is always recognizing the problem and in your case that is you need another gun. Well done.

There are these inexpensive options to keep your slide from locking back during racking. Has pretty all-right reviews. I have no first hand experience but a few of the reviewers mention it works well with the MantisX system (which I do have, so I'll likely get me some of these to get some first-hand experience). One reviewer even mentioned loading dummy rounds under the device to give a more realistic weighted feel.

Here's another similar tool but with a little extra (acts as snap cap for your firing pin and visual indicator of safe chamber):

or

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews