JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, newbie here.

So here is my situation.

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon
Far far away from out door range
My wife is kind of an anti gun advocate.

And 2yr old boy with me, my wife really doesn't like me to show him gun related things.

But I still want to practice for my shooting skills. You know, I just love to shoot. And I can protect my family If I need to.

I have a hellcat pro to work with and would like to practice draw from holster and shoot, and fast shooting just like self defense situation without wrecking slide.

Usually at night I am try to practice quietly without big sound. So cool fire trainer is off from the deal.. I wrecked the slide with laser ammo and my wife start to ask what am I doing out at night in the living room.

Any good ideas?? Please help this poor guy.

I had a teacher that said that he would practice inside his house daily. No ammo in the pistol. He would enter a room and draw and fire at a light switch and then rack and fire at a wall plug. Reholster and move into another room and do the same. Guessing his wife might be a little more understanding than yours, but he wanted to teach himself to be more alert and faster on his draw. Practice practice practice. You can buy a $100+ laser trainer but this costs nothing in the meantime. Happy shooting

UPDATE-- You really don't have to rack the slide for this to work. Just concentrate on the draw and the aim. Wear different clothing (Tee shirt, or a vest, or a coat to simulate different conditions for your draw...)

Last Edited:
Usually at night I am try to practice quietly without big sound. So cool fire trainer is off from the deal.. I wrecked the slide with laser ammo and my wife start to ask what am I doing out at night in the living room.

The garage would work better. Practice Press Out drills with an empty gun.

BG-FSXDG9801-1_1500.jpg

I don't see a Hellcat option, but blue guns are great for practicing draw/reholstering

There's no way to get the trigger pull/release without racking the slide. I would also recommend the use of snap caps or similar for continued/repeated dry firing.

You should be able to rack that slide without maki g a whole bunch of noise. Most semi auto striker pistols only require 1/2" to 3/4" travel to reset the trigger. At least that's what I've found with Glocks, Sigs and S&W M&P autos. Just work the slide the minimum needed to reset the trigger system.

There's no way to get the trigger pull/release without racking the slide. I would also recommend the use of snap caps or similar for continued/repeated dry firing.

You should be able to rack that slide without maki g a whole bunch of noise. Most semi auto striker pistols only require 1/2" to 3/4" travel to reset the trigger. At least that's what I've found with Glocks, Sigs and S&W M&P autos. Just work the slide the minimum needed to reset the trigger system.
And be sure there's no live ammo anywhere near the firearm when dry firing. Check, check again and check one more time. That's an accident no one wants to have happen.

Sorry for being a safety nazi, but move all your ammo and mags to a separate room away from your training, check your chamber at least 3 times before you start training.. through the years there have been stories of many " accidents" because somehow a round was left in the chamber.

Hi, newbie here.

So here is my situation.

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon
Far far away from out door range
My wife is kind of an anti gun advocate.

And 2yr old boy with me, my wife really doesn't like me to show him gun related things.

But I still want to practice for my shooting skills. You know, I just love to shoot. And I can protect my family If I need to.

I have a hellcat pro to work with and would like to practice draw from holster and shoot, and fast shooting just like self defense situation without wrecking slide.

If you've got money to spend Mantis makes some nice training stuff.

Set up in the garage as @Koda suggested and go to work.

The ideal handgun for the laser games you are envisioning is the revolver. Practice with laser cartridges is a great way to master DA shooting, SA shooting, point shooting, hip shooting, using 2 hands or one hand either hand. No semiauto gives you the natural sequence of actions as the revolver. There is, of course, no recoil. But its very helpful anyway and lots of fun.

If you must stick to a semiauto, get one with an external hammer. It is easier to cock hammer in between shots than to rack the slide. But basically, its a poor game compared with what you get from a revolver. You are limited to practicing single shots only. In addition, you must disable your gun in order to practice. And you have to remove the laser device by pushing it out with a dowel or cleaning rod inserted into the barrel. That's a big pain compared with swapping live cartridges for laser cartridges or vice versa as with a revolver.

The semiautomatic with no exposed hammer is the worst for practicing with laser. You have to rack the slide after every shot. No fun at all.

There are DA only semiautos. I don't know enough about them to know if any are good choices for SD.

A friend of mine used to stand in front of a mirror and close his eyes. He would practice drawing then open his eyes to see where the gun was pointed. This worked on his draw and muscle memory with a particular firearm.

YMMV

Huge gratitude for everyone!!

Maybe I should get divorce..haha

Maybe I will just tell her I need some training to prevent myself get into woods

Cool fire trainer or SIRT Gun PP for practice

Thanks to my military back ground I caught myself when I made a mistake.

Any opinion for SIRT Guns??

2-year old boy with me, my wife really doesn't like me to show him gun related things.

@hegonus --To most males, being able to defend themselves and their spouse and family is an essential part of their masculinity. I, a female, consider being able to protect myself and those I care about or innocent others is essential to my concept of myself as a competent and responsible adult.

It sounds like you are planning to defer to your wife as to whether your son will be raised to be a man/competent adult or not. Bad idea. Your son may turn out to be uninterested in guns or SD. But you should not allow your wife to indoctrinate him against guns, let alone forbid you to introduce him to guns when he is old enough. No point in making a big deal about the kid following your interests now when he is two. He may wanna spend his time learning ballet instead of shooting for all you know. Let him decide for himself when old enough and responsible enough. If you establish a pattern of solo camping and hiking in part so you can shoot, and your wife wants to come along, let her come sometimes with the understanding that shooting is always involved, and you will teach her to shoot. Start her on a .22 rifle and handgun. With a little luck, and choice of a full size .22 pistol and a .22 rifleq1, she may enjoy shooting.

For starters I suggest that you start going on solo camping trips off in the woods to somewhere you can shoot. Tell her that is in lieu of the family moving to somewhere closer to a range or somewhere you can easily visit once or twice per week to shoot. Then your playing laser games with a gun indoors will be no big deal, and a way of saving a trip to the woods. And when the kid is old enough to learn to shoot, you ask him if he would like to come with.

A man cannot actually protect his wife adequately unless by teaching her to shoot. Not unless they are always together . She is much more likely to be attacked when he is absent than when he is with her.

By the way, the laser cartridges I use with my revolvers are plenty bright enough to show up indoors day or night with indoor lights off or on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top