JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does your SHTF rifle(s) have drum magazines?

• Yes! And the drum type I use is ...

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Well, I have drums for this/these rifles, but not as a primary feeding device.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I've farted around with drums, but not for preparedness purposes.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No and I never had good luck with drums.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No and the whole notion of a SHTF rifle is pretty damn stupid.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Um (bromp!) wut? Drum tobacca fur scary times ... err (burp!) sumpfin? Where's ma thunderbucket ...

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Making a meal out of stainless steel ...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
If I had a fixed position, heavy barreled model I would be inclined to, otherwise I don't see the point as gun Jesus pointed out

Nope.
( Like this is a surprise to anyone here...:D )
The title of the thread does bring back fond memories of a fun song :
"I don't want to work I just want to bang on the drum all day"...Thank you Todd Rundgren.

In my experience with drum magazines....they are heavy , throw the balance of the rifle off , slow to reload and noisy.
Andy
Good Song!

I think drums in a SHTF situation or any real world your life is on the line situation just might be the last mistake you ever make. I would rather have a balanced rifle not overly heavy and with a 30 round mag loaded to 28 rounds to preserve the feed lips. I make it a habit to be as accurate as possible rather than spray and pray.. Drums may look cool but I don't think the reliability factor is there. I cannot count how many times I have seen a FTF in a drum fed AR. And I have only seen it a couple times in crappy 30 round mags that have been warped over time with constant use. And for those mags I have seen fail I do not use that particular brand and never will.

Also I have 3 SHTF rifles, and I would want to carry at least 2 and have the shoulder pack to do so. One of them is my AR-10 and that thing is anything but light. Then you throw in the weight of 50 rounds of 308 and it becomes an anvil. Where as 20-25 rounds it's not as bottom heavy. Sure I have a bipod, but I would like to be able to shoulder it as well without breaking the back. And I will already be breaking the back carrying around either 300 BLK, 5.56 or 308 ammo as it is. Again I choose to be accurate and make every shot count, as to make my ammo last as long as I can last. And all this is assuming I have to bug out, when I have chosen to bug in so I can have all my ammo with me and not need a dump truck following me just to carry my supplies. I mean I have young kids and a wife, I think bugging out is useless unless you have a fully stocked cabin in the woods that you for sure will be able to reach without question in a SHTF situation. Most that hit the road will die on the road. Even those that bug in will need their neighbors and a supply chain to survive long term. Without logistics and someone to watch your back your SOL..

Last Edited:
Yeah I always had the impression that drums were not that reliable, at least for ARs. By the time the Magpul drum came out, which I would suspect is more reliable, I knew I did not want that much additional weight hanging off a carbine.

i have had jam's in 30 rounds mags more then the two drums i have
Obviously, there is no shortage of crap 30rnd mags available on the market to choose from. Personally, my choice is not to buy them and stick with those known to be highly reliable, then closely examine and rigorously test each over time. 🤣

Going back to simple physics, anything with a more complex mechanism and moving parts will have more points of potential failure. Period.

I think it's great if you've happened on a couple drums that have, so far, been reliable for you, but you are definately in the far minority. Rates of failure on drums is undeniably and exponentially higher than "straight" mags. Along the same lines... I guess we have to take your word with a grain of salt as to what you mean by "reliable". There is a vast difference in 2 or 3 year old drums with 500-1000rnds through them vs. 10-15 year old drums with 10k-15krounds of "reliable" feeding, right? ;)

If you're comfortable betting your personal defense on them... I say MORE power to you!:s0155:

I'm not going to debate the philisophical value of the OP's question. He posed a simple question and deserves a simple answer at face value. We aren't rocket scientists endeavoring to colonize mars around here.:s0140:

Drum magazines are more of a range accessory than anything to me. Something you pull out for a little fun.

Box magazines are widely used by everyone because they are cheap, plentiful and they just plain work. They are also the most practical way to hold a relatively large amount in a relatively compact package.

Armor isn't just weight it restricts your movement.Anything that restricts movement when I need to be mobile makes a difference. I'd bet I'm in better shape than most on the board but thanks for the snide remark.
Putting holes in things isn't as important as not having holes put into you. I'd sacrifice some gear to wear 13lbs of level IV plates…

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews