JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does your SHTF rifle(s) have drum magazines?

• Yes! And the drum type I use is ...

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Well, I have drums for this/these rifles, but not as a primary feeding device.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I've farted around with drums, but not for preparedness purposes.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No and I never had good luck with drums.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No and the whole notion of a SHTF rifle is pretty damn stupid.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Um (bromp!) wut? Drum tobacca fur scary times ... err (burp!) sumpfin? Where's ma thunderbucket ...

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Making a meal out of stainless steel ...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
Plans for big societal problems should involve some armor.
Mobility is underrated, I'd prefer unarmored and lighter on my feet.
Good luck if you need to maneuver with plated rated for serious rifle rounds + bunch of mags and all your other gear.
David was mocked for not wearing armor in his fight with Goliath and for being underarmed with "just a sling", yet God helped him against the seemingly impossible.

I train around armor, might as well train for the coming fight with the blue helmets.
Aim small miss small!!!
True, but the purpose of armor is that it significantly improves your odds of surving a bullet to the chest cavity, it does not make someone invincible.

So while you may be a 'crack shot,' your total square inches available to you on target are less if someone is wearing armor, than not, snd that is generally a benefit.

Mobility is underrated, I'd prefer unarmored and lighter on my feet.
Good luck if you need to maneuver with plated rated for serious rifle rounds + bunch of mags and all your other gear.
David was mocked for not wearing armor in his fight with Goliath and for being underarmed with "just a sling", yet God helped him against the seemingly impossible.
I agree that a moving target it harder to hit than a stationary target, a lot harder, but some armor that stops most common rifle rounds are 3.5 pounds per plate. If 7 pounds makes the difference between you being maneuverable or not I'd say general fitness is a bigger obstacle than the 7 pounds.

I agree that a moving target it harder to hit than a stationary target, a lot harder, but some armor that stops most common rifle rounds are 3.5 pounds per plate. If 7 pounds makes the difference between you being maneuverable or not I'd say general fitness is a bigger obstacle than the 7 pounds.
Armor isn't just weight it restricts your movement.Anything that restricts movement when I need to be mobile makes a difference. I'd bet I'm in better shape than most on the board but thanks for the snide remark.

Last Edited:
Armor isn't just weight it restricts your movement.Anything that restricts movement when I need to be mobile makes a difference. I'd bet I'm in better shape than most on the board but thanks for the snide remark, as someone who was quite large you are lucky I'm using my kind words here.
Out of curiosity, how large is "quite large?"

"Big guy" has always been a very subjective term because 'big' to someone might be average to somebody else. Like on the football field a "big guy" might be 6'5 and 300-350 pounds, but on a tennis court a "big guy" might be 180-200 and 6'3.

And it's really not a snide remark, it's simply a matter of facts - and the fact is most of us (myself included) don't have cardio for crap because our regular lives don't involve high intensity cardio exercise. Hence why if 7 lbs makes the difference between "go and no go" it's definitely a cardio issue. 14 years ago I could run all day, these days I don't even want to run, haha.

The maneuverability piece in terms of gear/girth, the restriction of movement, is a real thing, it's true, but how much it actually restricts movement is the question and whether that cost/benefit makes sense.

For example, I remember football gear not really slowing me down at all, I did not find it hindered my regular movement.

If you've already figured it out for yourself, that running without any armor is the way to go for you, awesome, it's more cavalier than I'm interested in and I personally don't find the gear as cumbersome and restrictive as you've described.

True, but the purpose of armor is that it significantly improves your odds of surving a bullet to the chest cavity, it does not make someone invincible.

So while you may be a 'crack shot,' your total square inches available to you on target are less if someone is wearing armor, than not, snd that is generally a benefit.
Train for any given situation, if the enemy is wearing BA are you gonna aim for center mass ? I think not.

Train for any given situation, if the enemy is wearing BA are you gonna aim for center mass ? I think not.
While I understand your point quite well, aiming for a location on the target doesn't guarantee an impact to that location when all factors are taken into account. The simple fact of the matter is that armor increases likelihood of surviving incoming fire, because even if that incoming fire is not aiming for the armor, it's possible the shot doesn't hit exactly what it was aiming at (wind, movement, simple miss, etc) and in that scenario, not being immediately incapacitated by a center thoracic hit would be helpful in my opinion.

Getting shot, anywhere, would not be ideal, but some locations you're done right then, while others, suck, but are not immediately incapacitating.

AK and 75 rounds, when the excrement hit's the rotating air circulator it all depends on bug out or in, expecting singles or multiple?
by your self or with back up etc etc bug in and singles with back up the 300 aac is just 20 or 30 round and 110 grain loaded for DRT,
this type of poll always
The Complex Question: The contemporary fallacy of asking for a direct answer to a question that cannot be answered without first analyzing or challenging the basis of the question itself.

AK and 75 rounds, when the excrement hit's the rotating air circulator it all depends on bug out or in, expecting singles or multiple?
The competing argument though being, 75 rounds inside your drum won't do diddly for you in ANY circumstance if it FTL's or jams on round 2 or 5. The mechanical complexity and typical QC being what they are, the probability factor of a failure is exponentially greater than your standard mag.

The personal choice to make being, given a life threatening situation, do you want 75 "probable" rounds or 30 you "known" you can rely on between reloads?🤔

Last Edited:
While I understand your point quite well, aiming for a location on the target doesn't guarantee an impact to that location when all factors are taken into account. The simple fact of the matter is that armor increases likelihood of surviving incoming fire, because even if that incoming fire is not aiming for the armor, it's possible the shot doesn't hit exactly what it was aiming at (wind, movement, simple miss, etc) and in that scenario, not being immediately incapacitated by a center thoracic hit would be helpful in my opinion.

Getting shot, anywhere, would not be ideal, but some locations you're done right then, while others, suck, but are not immediately incapacitating.
Twas a yes or no question.

As I understand it (no military experience) that armor will usually prevent the bullet from entering you, but you will still likely take an injury, such as broken ribs, that will prevent you from participating further.

If that is so then during SHTF it wouldn't matter if you have armor or not, because if you are incapacitated and they are there to kill you then you are still going to die.

I'd appreciate input from those who have been there and done that.

if you use a magwell hold on an AK then you can't use a drum. I had a drum as a range toy and eventually sold it. Too heavy and too slow. I don't know how effective drums are on ARs. I imagine in a SHTF situation people will be fighting in a guerilla warfare situation, essentially hit and run sniper tactics. People working as a squad out of set pieces will probably get clobbered. Unless they have F15s and Nukes.

As I understand it (no military experience) that armor will usually prevent the bullet from entering you, but you will still likely take an injury, such as broken ribs, that will prevent you from participating further.

If that is so then during SHTF it wouldn't matter if you have armor or not, because if you are incapacitated and they are there to kill you then you are still going to die.

I'd appreciate input from those who have been there and done that.
You can literally find videos on the internet of people shooting themselves with armor on and no serious injury.

Think of the pound per square in physics going on. The stock of the rifle is only so wide and that is the same amount of force of the bullet being transfered to your body through the stock. If a bullet is caught by armor, that bullet is creating the same (less at distance) ft-lbs of energy on the target that it had when it left the barrel, when the armor catches that bullet the deformation surface area in square inches that impacts the body will represent the amount of force that the body experiences.

Twas a yes or no question.
If I'm shooting at someone wearing armor, I'm going to aim for generally the unarmored places, yes, but that doesn't mean the armor is useless, what it did was reduce my viable target surface area by about 1/3-1/2.

This has become somewhat of a silly discussion because it presumes that everyone who may shoot at you will always perfectly place their shots wherever they aim. Let's assume someone aims for my throat, it's only a few inches above the armor, if they missed low, and impact the armor I'd survive, if I was not wearing the armor, I would not likely survive.

If I'm shooting at someone wearing armor, I'm going to aim for generally the unarmored places, yes, but that doesn't mean the armor is useless, what it did was reduce my viable target surface area by about 1/3-1/2.

This has become somewhat of a silly discussion because it presumes that everyone who may shoot at you will always perfectly place their shots wherever they aim. Let's assume someone aims for my throat, it's only a few inches above the armor, if they missed low, and impact the armor I'd survive, if I was not wearing the armor, I would not likely survive.
Silly discussions are the norm. Just need a troll to reappear then have the thread closed down for lib bashing, lol.

How about you do you and I'll do me…
Btw I have BA.

Last Edited:
The competing argument though being, 75 rounds inside your drum won't do diddly for you in ANY circumstance if it FTF's or jams on round 2 or 5. The mechanical complexity and typical QC being what they are, the probability factor of a failure is exponentially greater than your standard mag.

The personal choice to make being, given a life threatening situation, do you want 75 "probable" rounds or 30 you "known" you can rely on between reloads?🤔
i have had jam's in 30 rounds mags more then the two drums i have hence i toss mags that jam and are proven to jam,
again why i bring up The Complex Question: The contemporary fallacy of asking for a direct answer to a question that cannot be answered without first analyzing or challenging the basis of the question itself.

if i am going to "depend" on a mag then that "mag" is going to work or it get's tossed hence the 75 round drum knowing that it does not and has not "jamed"
and if you are worried about a Jam in a drum then what about a 20 or 30 round is that not the reason they went to anti tilt followers in the AR platform?

and on and on

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR