JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does your SHTF rifle(s) have drum magazines?

• Yes! And the drum type I use is ...

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Well, I have drums for this/these rifles, but not as a primary feeding device.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I've farted around with drums, but not for preparedness purposes.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No and I never had good luck with drums.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No and the whole notion of a SHTF rifle is pretty damn stupid.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Um (bromp!) wut? Drum tobacca fur scary times ... err (burp!) sumpfin? Where's ma thunderbucket ...

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Making a meal out of stainless steel ...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
A memory from like six—seven-ish years ago was jogged by a build thread in the NFA section. In that era I did a bunch of work with some businesses in the Pelican State (Louisiana) and I met a colleague who was most assuredly a "gun guy". One of our reoccurring discussions was centered around disaster preparedness and firearms. He built a really neato AR-based SBR that was fed by a Chinese drum that, despite its nation of origin, ran like a top, and he opined it was his go-to "hurricane" rifle.

Which brings me to the question: does your dedicated SHTF gun(s) run on drums? If so, what types?

Enjoy!

Nope.
( Like this is a surprise to anyone here...:D )
The title of the thread does bring back fond memories of a fun song :
"I don't want to work I just want to bang on the drum all day"...Thank you Todd Rundgren.

In my experience with drum magazines....they are heavy , throw the balance of the rifle off , slow to reload and noisy.
Andy

No.

Drum magazines are fun but not ideal for a few reasons

1. Eggs in one basket. If a 50 round drum malfunctions on round five you're out 45 rounds. If a standard magazine malfunctions on round five you're only out 25 rounds
2. Drum magazines are cumbersome making carrying multiple more difficult than slab sided standard magazines.
3. Magazine retention (this is the biggest one for me). When a drum runs dry what do you do? If you just drop it in a gunfight you probably won't see it again. You'd have to carry an empty backpack to chuck them in.... where standard magazines can be thrown in a dump pouch to be topped off or reloaded to fight another day.

Not everyone will agree and that is just fine. If you're happy with a drum keep on keeping on. It just doesn't make practical sense to me.

Tried one for my CZ Scorpion. Decided I need 3 hands to load it and tossed in the back of the safe. Just not worth the effort.

Young thread, but I think this question will quickly sort by Lego fans vs. Commies.

I've seen a Romanian top load 75rd drum perform a complete mag dump ,ala bumpfire, multiple times. Pretty reliable.

Never seen a surefire D60 , or one of magpul's new AR drums in use. But the old BetaC is famously pointless.

The title of the thread does bring back fond memories of a fun song :
"I don't want to work I just want to bang on the drum all day"...Thank you Todd Rundgren.
Since it was invoked ...

Regular:

Wacky:

(Parenthetically, the clips from Office Space reminds me: there is a printer in my life who's going to meet a Mac-10 wielded by an oily gent very soon. And I mean that in the most literal of sense. Mahahaha.)

I picked up a couple drums for half price for an AR10 - a rifle I do not have yet - yet. I intend to get some 25 rd box mags too.

I figure in a SHTF situation, a reliable drum on an AR10, would be good for sustained but aimed fire. An AR10 would probably not be something that you would want to do a mag dump on though - "sustained" fire, where you are laying into a group at a distance, say beyond 300 meters, might be something that would be a disincentive to that group to get any closer.

Who knows? For about $130 (IIRC) I figured it was worth the expense for two 50 rd drums.

I used to have this rifle:

1543.jpg

Which would be nice, IMO, for such a scenario, especially with a drum mag.

I've owned some drum magazines that functioned flawlessly (mainly for AKs) but I still consider them to be less than ideal for any practical non-military use. They just make the gun way too heavy, and they don't give enough benefit to semi-auto firearms to offset that downside in my opinion.

I would LOVE it if Glock would make one. Since all my SHTF rifles use Glock mags I would pay what they charged. The ones that are out there are so hit and miss I have never wanted to pull the trigger on some. I do wish they would make one that is as well made as the OEM Glock mags. I would gladly pay the price but sadly, seems the market is not there. :(

I would LOVE it if Glock would make one. Since all my SHTF rifles use Glock mags I would pay what they charged. The ones that are out there are so hit and miss I have never wanted to pull the trigger on some. I do wish they would make one that is as well made as the OEM Glock mags. I would gladly pay the price but sadly, seems the market is not there. :(
That magpul glock drum is out now.

Only own one semi auto with a detachable magazine. And I have never seen a drum for a M1 carbine. And what a stupid thing to hang off a bolt action.

Depends. For a general use rifle no. For something set up as a squad/ group support weapon a few drums is handy. The hard part is carrying them and spending the extra cash to get ones that work.

The only drum I have is for my 1911, I'm not a big fan of it. Supposed to hold 28 rounds but it's a bear to get more than 20 in it.

Though I'm debating getting a 75rd AK drum just because, something ill probably try once and then toss in a trunk.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews