JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These types of "potential" catastrophic events scenarios always crack me up. The reality of it all is MURPHY"S LAW will prevail, it's the luck of the draw who'll be left standing. PAX

With a scope, the target appears on a single focal plane? So you don't have to focus on two objects (as long as the scope is in focus for the distance at the target).

I am 70 YO, I have some cataracts, "floaters", a detached vitreous, and double vision from one eye aligned different from the other eye, requiring prescription glasses to compensate.

I used to have "eagle eyes"; when I was young I could see and focus on objects in the distance. Not anymore. Last check I still had 20-20, but one eye is not as good as the other and I have noticed issues. So I need help when shooting.
20 years ago as I was trying to open a dial lock on a grass shack in Goa, India, and I couldn't make out the numbers on the dials, and the girlfriend I had at the time had no problem seeing the numbers. When I got back to the USA I did some research and found out about Bilbery, so I used it for a few years, and later at a Star Party (Astronomy get together), I was able to see some faint stars used to test Roman navigator eyes. My night vision was restored.

I had a few big floaters last year, and they're gone now because of the Bilbery in the liquid supplements I use.

Bilbery is loaded with antioxidants, so it's probably a good supplement to use all the time. Bilbery is basically Blueberry.

I'm still trying to envision a "catastrophe" that would force me to unass my property, left me alive, but somehow made all my horses/pack animals unavailable. I'll get back to you about rifle optics once I've got the first part figured out.
I'm kinda in the same boat. BUT: If we're talking about a SHTF emergency, chances are firepower would be more important than long distance shooting. So IF I had to hike out with one rifle only, it would be an AR, my two of which have carry handles and factory sights. I'd also have a sack full of ammo and magazines.

My eyes are bad but corrected with eyeglasses. So I'd make sure to take an extra pair or two. I've also got that vitreous separation issue in my left eye, mostly cleared up by now.

I would want some magnification on tap, but since it needs to cover multiple roles and me taking potshots at extended ranges is pretty unlikely, 4x or less would be more than adequate for my needs. The ability to adjust magnification (red dot or prism with magnifier, or LPVO) would be preferred but not required. Solar powered or etched reticle would be preferred in case of battery failure.

Call me old fashioned- but the go to would be the Steyr Scout. Right now it has a Leupy scout scope on it with quick detach rings, and the back up sights in the event I needed them.

For poops and laughs I carried it for deer season last year- the rifle will do it's job so long as I do mine.

Yep. I am a fan of the LPVO scopes. They do not need batteries but can illuminate if they have them, you can run them both eye open for up close or dial in for a little more precision. I have them in 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 and 1-10, depends on what rifle and what use.

Yep. I am a fan of the LPVO scopes. They do not need batteries but can illuminate if they have them, you can run them both eye open for up close or dial in for a little more precision. I have them in 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 and 1-10, depends on what rifle and what use.
I just wish I could find a LPVO that is 1X or 1.5X at its lowest setting and has EER/LER (i.e., more than 10") or a handgun scope.

I just wish I could find a LPVO that is 1X or 1.5X at its lowest setting and has EER/LER (i.e., more than 10") or a handgun scope.
Like this?

I guess that isn't eer, but is that really necessary?

3X micro prism with a QD mount and back up iron sights.
  • That's just enough power for as far as I would shoot 5,56.
  • That's about as powerful as I can shoot with both eyes open for CQB
  • Illuminated reticle, but it's also etched so not battery dependent.
  • ACSS reticle for rapid distance ranging and bullet drop compensation.
  • No worry about the she shooter's eyesight limitations such as astigmatism. Your rifle may be needed by others in your group.
  • Lightweight, small, streamlined and rugged
  • QD allows for rapid removal if damaged in order to access BUIS.
  • Rifle concept is for reliability, simplicity. lightweight, and usable by youths, small and large adults, disabled, and elderly. Balance is near magwell center.
1713669117466.jpeg
1713670095409.png

Like this?

I guess that isn't eer, but is that really necessary?
Yes - necessary to be able to mount as a Scout Scope - 4" certainly doesn't cut it

Yes - necessary to be able to mount as a Scout Scope - 4" certainly doesn't cut it
If this is going on a typical AR then a scout style scope will need to be mounted on the forearm. I was under the impression that the scope needed to be mounted to the reciever so as to remove the possibilty of movement in POI due to the forearm not being as stable. Am I all wet in that belief?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top