JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
None of my .22s had names or genders. Of a dozen or so .357s, only Buddy, my current EDC, a SW 686 snubby with Crimson Trace grips, has a name or gender. My first two .44s were nameless and genderless. My third .44 was a girl gun, Tanstaafl, Tansy for short. She was a 6" Colt Anaconda. Tanstaafl stands for "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." It was a common saying among the moon colonists in Heinlein's SF classic The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Tansy is a poisonous weed that can kill livestock who eat it. Tansy was lovely to shoot but heavy to carry. She was my first gun with a name and gender. My SW 629 8 3/8", Belle, is very feminine. Sleek and beautiful. I thought maybe all the .44s were female. But then along came Thumper, my 9 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk. He's all male. The first time I held him I thought "Wow this gun would be deadly even unloaded. All you'd need to do is backhand the bad guy and thump his head with the front sight."

It seems to me that some guns are basically just useful tools, and others want a more personal relationship. Those that want a more personal relationship seem to tell me their name pretty early. Often when I was on the way to trying to buy some entirely different gun, which didn't happen.

Last Edited:
They're all named "super freak"
rick james superfreak GIF

My k98 is Krieger, my Garand is Bob, my AK is Vlad, and my p365 is Geraldine. I'm pretty sure they identify with their birth genders, but Geraldine has been going through an experimental phase and wants to break the mold a little. I told her she will always be loved and it's her decision, but I wonder where this path will lead her. Who knows, she has a good slide on her shoulders and her whole life ahead of her, we will see.

Some do and some do not....
I'd be busy ifin' I named all of these here...
DSC05463.jpg

My favorite rifle does have a name.
I named my Hawken Rifle after the woman that I love.
She has never let me down...and always a joy to go out with.
Andy

Curious post. A friend and I were discussing something along these lines the other day. I would have to say no to gender and 'sort of' to the names. When I got my S&W 'J frame' it became the 'little Smith' as opposed to the 'big Smith' Model 28. When I got my Henry .22, it became, of course, 'the Henry'. Same with the 12 gauge. I now take out the 'Mossberg' as opposed to the old beater JC Higgins I've had for years.

My firearms all identify as farm implements. Let's see, there's Plough Sharon, Rake L Welch, Sickle Me Elmo, Emcee Hammer (don't hurt 'em!), Kalish-kamala (this one always sounds like it's laughing when it gets fired up) and maybe many more!

No. They are more than just tools, but no.

They can be tools, and/or artifacts of history, collectibles, family heirlooms, educational exhibits, or in some cases works of art.

But no names here, though I can understand why some people might do that, especially if it has a particular, personal history. Like naming the arrow that killed the dragon.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top