JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was cutting firewood with a friend that I know carries every day like I do. And I commented that I had to clean my pocket carried gun more often during this time of year because it always got covered in saw dust and grit. My friend shows his AIWB carried gun and admitted he only cleans it "when it really needs it"! It was filthy. My own J frame is about the same age but is only just now starting to show some finish wear along the sharp edges.
So I asked some others that I know carry everyday. They are retired LE, Retired Military, a Game warden, and a Rail Road cop.
And the consensus is I'm the only one who cleans on a regular schedule.
If my guns have not been fired I wipe them down with an oil cloth, and then follow up with a clean cloth to pick up any oil left behind. If they have been shot they get cleaned right away. And every other year or so they get a full detail strip where I also change out springs, Firing pin, and any wear parts.
So this is a forum with a large amount of readers, How often do you clean? Enquiring minds need to know...DR

I used to clean after every single range trip, religiously, like you do. Then, after I really ramped up my shooting 2-3 years ago as a result of competition, I only cleaned my EDCs the night before a comp (I compete with my EDCs, in the same way that I carry it - not a race gun). Until all this COVID business hit, that was getting it cleaned at least once, and more like twice, a month. Seemed to be plenty.

Now that I have a bum foot from that botched knee operation, I shoot a lot less. Since I'm not getting my normal amount of range time, I satisfy that itch by cleaning my guns more often, just to play with them more. I imagine if my foot ever recovers, I'll go back to just cleaning them when they need it.

Once I notice lint build up. But all it entails is a quick field strip. Remove debris. Lube if necessary and back into the waistband. After the Marine Corps I am so over the super tedious cleaning. It's a tad bit unnecessary in my opinion. But that's just me.

The dirtiest my carry gun gets is lint all over it. Which I just wipe off with my hand. That's it. Nothing gets taken apart and cleaned unless it gets shot and I clean all my guns I shoot as soon as I get home from the range.

I used to clean after every single range trip, religiously, like you do. Then, after I really ramped up my shooting 2-3 years ago as a result of competition, I only cleaned my EDCs the night before a comp (I compete with my EDCs, in the same way that I carry it - not a race gun). Until all this COVID business hit, that was getting it cleaned at least once, and more like twice, a month. Seemed to be plenty.

Now that I have a bum foot from that botched knee operation, I shoot a lot less. Since I'm not getting my normal amount of range time, I satisfy that itch by cleaning my guns more often, just to play with them more. I imagine if my foot ever recovers, I'll go back to just cleaning them when they need it.
I think my friends version of Only when it really needs it means almost never! DR

The dirtiest my carry gun gets is lint all over it. Which I just wipe off with my hand. That's it. Nothing gets taken apart and cleaned unless it gets shot and I clean all my guns I shoot as soon as I get home from the range.
This is also my habit as well. Only if it's been down range, otherwise just a wipe down.

Y'all clean yer EDC????

I'm in the once or twice a month camp, typically after a range session. If the range is missed, it's still once or twice a month, depending on lint buildup. Typically eyeball it every second or third day. It's a tool, so it needs to be maintained.

Spare carry mags get an unloading and dusting along the same once/twice a month cadence.

My EDC is a revolver that gets carried un-concealed on my right hip in an open to holster. I spend the majority of my time outdoors doing ranch work, so my cleaning chores are probably substantially different than most EDC folks. At the end of every day I unload it, wipe it down, run a brush and patches through the cylinder and bore, reload it, brush out the holster and set it aside ready for the next day. Detail clean gets done monthly.

I clean my firearms after every shooting.
As far as my EDC ....It gets looked at everyday...if it needs something more than a wipe down..then that happens.

My firearms are a large part of what makes me....me....
I also spent a good deal of time and money getting good with them....to me , it makes good sense to take care of something I value.

I do not find it a chore , or any hardship to clean and maintain my firearms...I enjoy looking after them.
Andy

I used to tease my Dad about how dirty his guns were. He was in the camp that if it still shot well, it didn't need cleaned. I inherited a Security Six from him that was stainless, but so black in places that you couldn't tell. He shot a lot of .38 wad cutters at the range. I completely disassembled, cleaned and polished it. It took me about 3 or 4 hours, just because I couldn't get the cylinder latch back in.

Normally I only clean a bolt gun or revolver when it starts to bind. A semiautomatic gets cleaned after 100 rounds.

My EDCs get looked at every day and cleaned as necessary.

Last Edited:
I clean my firearms after every shooting.
As far as my EDC ....It gets looked at everyday...if it needs something more than a wipe down..then that happens.

My firearms are a large part of what makes me....me....
I also spent a good deal of time and money getting good with them....to me , it makes good sense to take care of something I value.

I do not find it a chore , or any hardship to clean and maintain my firearms...I enjoy looking after them.
Andy
Might your attention to your smokepoles have anything to do with the fact that most of them (if not all) utilize black powder for the propellant...? o_O

Full disclosure:
I'm not trying to be ornery, Andy. Just making a friendly jab at you and your collection.
Most of us here know of your affinity for black powder. Might *that* have any bearing upon the frequency with which you clean your firearms...? :D

I clean my guns every time I shoot them. But then, I'm kinda weird, I almost like cleaning them as much as I enjoy shooting them. Just how I'm wired, I guess.

Might your attention to your smokepoles have anything to do with the fact that most of them (if not all) utilize black powder for the propellant...? o_O

Full disclosure:
I'm not trying to be ornery, Andy. Just making a friendly jab at you and your collection.
Most of us here know of your affinity for black powder. Might *that* have any bearing upon the frequency with which you clean your firearms...? :D
I grew up with firearms...with only one , being of the muzzle loading variety however.
( Great Grandpa's Long Rifle...originally flint lock..at some point converted to percussion...and later stolen after his death. )
Great Grandpa , Grandpa and Dad...all took part in teaching me much about life , hunting and history....

Later on when I was in the Army...it was important with my job to be both good with firearms and good at maintaining them...

Some things never really go away.....:D
Andy

Glock go bang.

Unfortunately I stopped carrying a Glock so I clean mine more often. Did so today since I shot it at the range today.

I would say as needed. My Airweight lives in a sticky holster in a zipped upper pocket in my jacket. I don't shoot it much, I have other firearms I'd rather shoot. It's just there if I need it. The guns I shoot when I get home after shooting them I will at the very least give then a field strip, bore snake and tooth-brushing to get the big crud out. A drop of oil and a spot of grease here and there finish off the light mainance. If I notice an issue I fix it then. About once a year,generally in the dead of winter I deep clean all the guns to as close to immaculate as possable.

My carry gun gets cleaned after every range trip. I also mostly use a plastic bore brush on it. Brass bore brush once a year-ish.

I will also periodically check it once every three months or so to make sure it's lubed...but that's only if I haven't shot it at the range in three months...which is pretty rare.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top