JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you carry in your house of worship?

• Yes, as part of personal defense.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Yes, as part of personal defense and as part of a security team.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Have in the past, not now.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No, I don't carry in my house of worship

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No, I don't have a house of worship and/or carry license, so moot point.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
It's illegal to carry in bars & pubs.
You live in the wrong state. :D

I ain't overly religious , but I am in awe of and very respectful of the earth , water and sky of the land around me.
I get more "religion" from experiencing life outside , be it from a rock , a tree or an animal , than I have from any time I have had in a church pew.
That sounds all cool and trendy, especially in our increasingly secular society. But tell me just what a rock, tree, or animal can teach you about morality. Of course, you can't go there. Because, site rules.

That sounds all cool and trendy, especially in our increasingly secular society. But tell me just what a rock, tree, or animal can teach you about morality. Of course, you can't go there. Because, site rules.
It is not at all "cool and trendy " to me at least...and you putting it that way...Comes across as somewhat insulting.

If you really want to know about my views here in this matter...
And are willing to "listen" / read a perhaps new or opposing viewpoint / outlook......PM me.
Andy

I'll go there. I drove up in the woods to an outcropping I knew about where I could only see trees in all directions. I was going thru my second divorce and was full of self pity and anger so I raged at the world mad at everyone and every thing. After awhile a little Male Rufus Hummingbird started buzzing and chattering at me so I raged at him to. He wasn't bothered and just kept on. Pretty soon I was paying more attention to him and less about me. After a while I wasn't filling with the rage and was just grooving on the little Hummingbird. Finally he just flew away. I realized that little bird was more powerful then me and took all my problems with him. Now I just like to sit on my front porch with my morning cup of of coffee and say thank you for letting me see the dawn of a new day full of endless possibilitys.

Yes I do.

That said...
My house of worship ain't a church...it's the outdoors...where I hunt.
I ain't overly religious , but I am in awe of and very respectful of the earth , water and sky of the land around me.
I get more "religion" from experiencing life outside , be it from a rock , a tree or an animal , than I have from any time I have had in a church pew.

And with that said....
For those who do get something of value and worth from a church pew...
I say good for you and treasure those moments.
Andy
You said, "pew"….. that reminds me of the following biblical proverb:

"It is written, that he who farts in mine house shall sit in his own pew, thus saith the Lord"!

Yes I do.

That said...
My house of worship ain't a church...it's the outdoors...where I hunt.

And with that said....
For those who do get something of value and worth from a church pew...
I say good for you and treasure those moments.
Andy
Brothers from another Mother! This has been my response for years! My church just happens to have no walls and yes I am packin'.

Served for over 20 years as an usher at a really great church (in my former state), where the Head Usher, Pastor and Worship Leader all carried concealed. You wouldn't believe where, if I told you. :)

I was in charge of the Men's Annual Shoot-a-Thon Event where we had a breakfast for all the men and spent the day destroying stuff out in the desert.

They all wanted me to get my Concealed Carry License, but I told them that I was too much of a Paranoid Whack-Job.

Didn't want to get my name on yet-another government list. o_O

I'll go there. I drove up in the woods to an outcropping I knew about where I could only see trees in all directions. I was going thru my second divorce and was full of self pity and anger so I raged at the world mad at everyone and every thing. After awhile a little Male Rufus Hummingbird started buzzing and chattering at me so I raged at him to. He wasn't bothered and just kept on. Pretty soon I was paying more attention to him and less about me. After a while I wasn't filling with the rage and was just grooving on the little Hummingbird. Finally he just flew away. I realized that little bird was more powerful then me and took all my problems with him. Now I just like to sit on my front porch with my morning cup of of coffee and say thank you for letting me see the dawn of a new day full of endless possibilitys.
You've reminded me I need to go take wildlife pics again. Nothing like nature to make you feel a sense of awe. A couple hummingbird pics of a momma who made three nests in the yard that year. Amazing precision in making tiny nest size of a golf ball (just Anna's, we almost never get rufous here). And a couple random ones from the wildlife pics thread (that hawk is pretty tame and let's you get close).

But tell me just what a rock, tree, or animal can teach you about morality.
Well, these things can't necessarily 'teach you about morality'. Morality is learned through life experiences - and is NOT something that requires religion to impart, solidify or maintain as a way of life.

It MAY for some, and I respect that however I am not a religious person. I respect religion, and those that follow it, have faith however, for ME, a lot of religious concepts do meet scientific scrutiny and when I ask questions of religious people I know pertaining to certain religious stories or biblical prophecies and get answers such as 'Its a miracle!' or 'Well, you got to have faith' - I have to shake my head and walk away.

Serious question - WHY does religion seem to get a 'free pass' on the moniker of 'Faith' BUT when a scientific concept, or a somewhat conspiratorial theory is used as a question to a similarly UNPROVEN biblical story, proverb, whatever - it is disregarded as crazy, crackpot or not respected.

Bottom line is I live a very honest, 'moral' and upstanding life - essentially 'christian' based - and more so than some 'Christians' I know - but I am far from a christian.

When I used to go to church I saw more immoral behavior than secular society. When Im out in nature I find people more respectful to others. What I learned in life is religion is not where we get our morality from.

I had an interesting church visit recently though, it was a very rare occasion for me of course. Of course I carried, churches are under attack these days... was a visitor... I already knew most churches encourage their saints to carry. I could spot the printing.. especially on the ushers. :p (church security teams take note).
If I ever visit anyone's church and if I save the day all I ask is just dont shoot me Im one of the good guys :p

I was raised going to church every Sunday. I haven't "religiously" (pun intended) attended since I went to college, but used to go on Christmas or other special occasions. It always made Mom happy.

I carried.

Remember, All. This is a conversation about guns, not religion(s). Keep the posts on point, please.

I do not leave home without carrying. I am not a big fan of 9mm but lately I have been carrying a sig 290rs and it's small enough that once it's in my pocket it normally stays there til I go to bed. I use Buffalo bore 124g hollow points.

Serious question - WHY does religion seem to get a 'free pass' on the moniker of 'Faith' BUT when a scientific concept, or a somewhat conspiratorial theory is used as a question to a similarly UNPROVEN biblical story, proverb, whatever - it is disregarded as crazy, crackpot or not respected.
I don't see where religion gets a "free pass" anywhere. I have a Ph.D. in Biology so I am by no means a religious fanatic. But I am firmly convinced that science and faith perform 2 distinctly separate, but equally important, functions in society.
Bottom line is I live a very honest, 'moral' and upstanding life - essentially 'christian' based - and more so than some 'Christians' I know - but I am far from a christian.
What is your benchmark for what is moral and upstanding?

What I learned in life is religion is not where we get our morality from.
Then from where?

So to clarify, I do carry at church, and have since the mid 90's. At the time, mid 90's I was not only an usher but a deacon in the church I attended. There had been an incident, not during services but during the week where a troubled member came to the church offices and proceeded to off himself outside the pastors office.

Since that incident, I've carried at church and most likely always will. One never knows where trouble or evil will manifest itself.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top